Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heim Joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Heim Joints

Here's an article I wrote last month for Vintage Motorsport magazine. I tried to ever the basics. This is hard core racer stuff. I would be hesitant to use these on the street. Mainly because of the fact I would have to clean them fairly often. Enjoy.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images

Last edited by rfn026; 08-18-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: link
Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Good stuff,

I use them on both sway bars (that's 8) and tie rod ends all corners (that's 4).

On Corvette you should be careful to figure if you need "high misalignment" ends. Depends on suspension setup.

I would not waste my time with "cheap" ones.

Of the 4 different brands I have tried the QA1 seem the best value wise.

Aurora are best, but $$$$.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lubricating Teflon lined rod ends won't accomplish anything for you except to make them collect dirt faster. If the rod end is of good quality, and the ball is still snug in the Teflon, dirt isn't a real problem as the edge of the Teflon acts as a wiper, keeping the dirt out. It's only when the ball becomes loose that getting grit inside is a problem. At that point they need replacement anyways.
The first sentence seems to disagree with the rest of this paragraph. Does the Teflon stuff work as advertised or not?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've never used the teflon bearings. The dirt problem probably doesn't exist when they're new but as wear takes place it can be an issue. I'm just not sure how quickly this will happen.

I use these little rubber booties on my rear suspension. I'm not sure how much good they real do but they can't hurt. On the other hand I have to take the suspension apart to clean the heim joints.

Richard Newton
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by troyguitar
The first sentence seems to disagree with the rest of this paragraph. Does the Teflon stuff work as advertised or not?
I have a dozen high quality 3 piece teflon lined heims on my car. Mine last about 4 + years. Self cleaning, no lube.

I did once lube the front tie rod ends as I had a little squack noise in my garage. Used liquid teflon lube, worked for over 9 months now.

QA1 or Aurora.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use the Banski Motorsports heim joint components on the rear of my '87 autocross car. These are the teflon coated ends and he also offers rubber boots for them.

I had read that the boots are not easily installed, but from the pics on his website, once they are installed they should do a very good job of keeping dirt and water out of them.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I use the Banski Motorsports heim joint components on the rear of my '87 autocross car. These are the teflon coated ends and he also offers rubber boots for them.

I had read that the boots are not easily installed, but from the pics on his website, once they are installed they should do a very good job of keeping dirt and water out of them.
Do they manufacture their own? Or is this a race shop relabel which is often the case?

Just curious, not accusing anyone of anything.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Do they manufacture their own? Or is this a race shop relabel which is often the case?

I really really doubt they have the tooling required to build their own rod ends.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I really really doubt they have the tooling required to build their own rod ends.
Yeah, that's the point I'm getting to. I have used half a dozen different MANUFACTURER ends & come down to only two MANUFACTURER ends that are any good.

A race shop MAY have a MANUFACTURER do a special run with some special feature or other, or a name engraved or who knows?

But you guys on the forum should know that, IMO and personal experience, most are inferior and only good for an easy drive to the golf course, use them on the track a few times and they get loose. They are built to a price point, in other words, there is a reason why they are cheap. And you may or may not get high quality ends if you pay a lot.

There are engineering specs for tolerances, strength, hardness etc. Those are what matters. Order the Aurora or QA1 catalog & give it a read if you want to become knowledgable about rod ends.

They are free.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-26-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by froggy47

Banski uses high quality telfon lined joints from Aurora Bearing.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kubs
Banski uses high quality telfon lined joints from Aurora Bearing.
and aha, there ya go.

Thanks Kubs.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a place for mid-grade rod ends. I have used them on control arms to act as a fuse. While they wear faster than the high dollar alternatives they do bend earlier and help prevent really expensive damage. IMO I'd rather replace them more often rather than have a high dollar control arm failure or even worse have damage transferred into the chassis.

Get notified of new replies

To Heim Joints

Quick Reply: Heim Joints