Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Z51 tires for autocross/PDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 05 Z51 tires for autocross/PDX

Tire reccomendations for an 05 Z51 coupe with six speed, for dual purpose PDX/autocross.

I did the SCCA "starting line" school on Friday and participated in the Milwaukee region autocross on Saturday. Pretty humbling experience. I may be really slow now and have way more horsepower than skill, but I'm going to stay at it and get better and faster.

The run flats that were on the car when I bought it in April are worn out after a couple PDX's combined with the autocrossing, which is Ok with me because I want to get rid of the runflats anyway. The tires for autocrossing are probably different than the ones you would use for PDX's, but is there a good compromise for someone who will be doing a little bit of both? From what I understand, just getting rid of the run flats will be a big improvement alone.

I've had Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's on my 09 Cobalt SS that I've also tracked, and love them. Should I go with them on the Vette, the Michelin Pilot Super sports (seem to be very popular), the Kuhmo Ecsta, or something entirely different? Those all pop up as "reccomended" on the tire rack site.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look for Lane's thread on 'B Street' setup.

Edit:
Here it is. Lots of good info.

Last edited by brenb; 08-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the RE-11 on my C5Z more than the PSS. PSS got too hot at the track but is great for street and probably still good for autox.

Hankook RS3 v2 is supposed to be the fastest street tire right now.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Z51 tires for autocross/PDX

Quick Reply: 05 Z51 tires for autocross/PDX