Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 AM
ckpitt55
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accusump Questions

Hey gents,

I've been researching oil control options for the LS1 that is going into my 99 M3. This is going to primarily be a street driven car, but I am also going to be tracking it so it's being built to handle that. I know a dry sump is the best solution, but I simply cannot justify the cost at this point in time. So I am doing the following:
  • Improved racing baffle in f-body pan
  • Improved racing oil cooler adapter w/ thermostat
  • Setrab 925 rad w/ -10 raceflux fittings
Through my research on here, it seems that a 3 qt Accusump is still a good idea, despite its questionable effectiveness. I'd like to take advantage of pre-startup oiling and have some added insurance against pressure drops.

Now my questions:

-Most people seem to plumb the accusump into the cooler return line. Since my cooler adapter has a thermostat, it won't be completely open during cold starts when I want to pre-lube the engine. Where else should I plumb the accusump? The rear oil galley plug, perhaps?

-With an EPC valve, the canister isn't "live" to the rest of the circuit until the pressure switch is tripped. Is there potential for the oil in the canister to be much cooler compared to the oil in the rest of the circuit? Is there any potential problem with injecting "cold" oil during a pressure loss event?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Chuck
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not sure the F Body Pan is the best option. I realize you may not have room for the winged pan in your installation but if you do it might be worth considering. When they were developing the 97 Vette GM ran into the oil starvation problem and went with the winged oil pan in an attempt to resolve the problem.

I know the NON winged pans used with the LS3 didn't work well on the track. You might want to talk to some other racers that have run various pans. In my 97 and 03Z I ran a radiator with a built in engine oil cooler and remote oil filter. With the extra quart of oil that GM recommended running that brought my total oil capacity up to 9 quarts. I know everybody recommended installing an accusump in any tracked C5 but I never did.

The LS engines are all susceptible to running out of oil on long high G left hand turns. Are you going to be running any tracks that have that type of turn? If you aren't going to encounter any turns like that the Accusump may not be needed.

Bill
Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The front oil galley, drivers side near the of front of block, is much easier to plumb to and it works just fine.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 PM
ckpitt55
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure the F Body Pan is the best option. I realize you may not have room for the winged pan in your installation but if you do it might be worth considering. When they were developing the 97 Vette GM ran into the oil starvation problem and went with the winged oil pan in an attempt to resolve the problem.

I know the NON winged pans used with the LS3 didn't work well on the track. You might want to talk to some other racers that have run various pans. In my 97 and 03Z I ran a radiator with a built in engine oil cooler and remote oil filter. With the extra quart of oil that GM recommended running that brought my total oil capacity up to 9 quarts. I know everybody recommended installing an accusump in any tracked C5 but I never did.

The LS engines are all susceptible to running out of oil on long high G left hand turns. Are you going to be running any tracks that have that type of turn? If you aren't going to encounter any turns like that the Accusump may not be needed.

Bill
Unfortunately the f-body pan is pretty much all that will fit for my application.

Originally Posted by Last C5
The front oil galley, drivers side near the of front of block, is much easier to plumb to and it works just fine.
Would I need to run an inline filter between the galley and accusump at this location? I've read of unfiltered oil interfering with the valve's operation.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
Unfortunately the f-body pan is pretty much all that will fit for my application.

Would I need to run an inline filter between the galley and accusump at this location? I've read of unfiltered oil interfering with the valve's operation.
I haven't for two years on the track and it hasn't been a problem. I believe the front galley is technically after the filter.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
I haven't for two years on the track and it hasn't been a problem. I believe the front galley is technically after the filter.
Front oil galley plug is post oil pump, pre oil filter. Lots of people run it this way without issue though.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 AM
ckpitt55
3rd Gear

So I guess I could have answered one of my own questions with a little more searching.

The improved racing adapter isn't completely closed when cold, so it allows flow to return from the cooler and back into the block. They recommended to plumb the accusump into the cooler return line as is usually done.

Get notified of new replies

To Accusump Questions

Quick Reply: Accusump Questions