Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Hardbar still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Look into using 7075 (or Fortal, available in inexpensive cutoffs) if you are going to make a new one. My guess is that the original brackets are 6061 but haven't looked into it.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, good idea. If you really want a bracket with nearly infinite cycles before failure, make 'em out of low carbon steel. There's a weight penalty though...
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking at it and thinking about it a bit, probably caused by the upright flexing. Maybe GM was onto something with the stiffer ZR1 units?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Sure. Sounds like I might need a spare. Gary's bracket lets you run stock rotors or stock rotor replacements like the DBA 4K rotors I am running now. The Essex bracket in their kit is less compatible with other rotors.
That is actually untrue. Our Essex Sprint Kit allows OEM-style discs to be run without any modifications, etc ( For reference, we use Centric Parts 120.xxxxx discs when doing our fitment check). We have a bunch of customers doing so. Our setup is more on-plane/aligned with the OEM setup when compared to the Hardbar kit.

With the exception of the iron disc ring, our Essex bracket will not work with any of the Hardbar components. We created our own internal, clean-sheet, Essex kit to address a number of the issues as shown in this post. Our design has different materials, fasteners, etc., with different bracket and hat offsets, and also seats the caliper down more closely on the bracket through the use of shorter caliper bosses (the stainless steel bits on the bottom of the caliper).

I communicated with sebdavid the other day on this topic. Hopefully you get it squared away.

For reference, the pics below are the bracket for our Essex Sprint Kit.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 09-18-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
That is actually untrue.
My apologies -- thanks for clearing that up. I know more than one vendor that have mentioned the quote below from your web page saying the Essex kit would not be compatible with an OEM replacement setup, but since I had the Hardbar brackets I'd be OK.

Included AP Racing discs are the same size as OEM C5 discs, allowing them to be interchanged at will (Please note, OEM-style replacement discs from different manufacturers have varying tolerances. Essex cannot guarantee interchangeability with all 1-piece OEM style discs.)
The reason I was shopping for alternate rotor solutions is because I have lost confidence in my Hardbar rotor hats. The fasteners have seen too many heat cycles from 6000 track miles and the hats let the rotors move too much out of plane, knocking the pads around and giving me an inconsistent brake pedal.

Bert
Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
My apologies -- thanks for clearing that up. I know more than one vendor that have mentioned the quote below from your web page saying the Essex kit would not be compatible with an OEM replacement setup, but since I had the Hardbar brackets I'd be OK.

The reason I was shopping for alternate rotor solutions is because I have lost confidence in my Hardbar rotor hats. The fasteners have seen too many heat cycles from 6000 track miles and the hats let the rotors move too much out of plane, knocking the pads around and giving me an inconsistent brake pedal.

Bert
No worries Bert! I just wanted clear that up.

Yep, unfortunately our hat offsets are a little different so they won't work on your setup.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I communicated with sebdavid the other day on this topic. Hopefully you get it squared away.
Just a quick word to say that as usual, service from Essex was stellar. Nothing they could do to get me replacement brackets but they did offer alternatives.

I need to mull this over and see which way to go.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Just a quick word to say that as usual, service from Essex was stellar. Nothing they could do to get me replacement brackets but they did offer alternatives.

I need to mull this over and see which way to go.
I replaced a rotor (using a blank I got from Essex) last night and stripped out the allen head on one of the caliper mounting bolts. Found this thread searching after finding that Hardbar appears to be gone. I was able to work around the issue but it looks like we may have some orphan parts here. I'm going to hit up Van Steel just in case they have specs on it.

I installed Essex's kit on our other car a couple of months ago. Aside from the rotors & calipers being the same the rest of it was night & day better than Hardbar's. The bracket design is far superior - instead of threading a bolt through the bracket the bracket has the bolts so all you do is slide the caliper onto those and tighten down a nut - perfect.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm trying to sell my Hardbar AP T1 kit if anyone is interested in spare parts. I'm not going to break it all up though. Calipers and brackets stay together. I also have DRM 14" 2pc rotors with a set of brand new rings.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Good points, and I'm certainly not putting it all (small business failures) on one factor. I don't think you can either. Having said that the overwhelming anti business agenda and pro government control (central control) is IMO a MAJOR factor in most small business failures and lack of will to create new small businesses.

You tell a small business who is operating on a zero to maybe 10% net before tax margin varying month to month,

"Oh, by the way, you need to cover all your employees with health insurance, or we'll fine you out of existance",

you may as well turn off the power & close the door. It's just not possible.

People watch a little bit of business news, especially on the lefty networks/cable and see a story about some hedge fund guy making millions & they think all business is like that.

Well it's not, most struggle, most do care about employees, most are not "raking it in".

Not to be arguing with anyone on the thread, just sayin' it's probably a complex set of events/circumstance when vendors go away.

Froggy I completely agree with your thoughts. I started a small excavating company at the age of 20 in 1978 which grew into a larger small excavating company over the years. As you can imagine we experienced a lot of ups and downs but always felt I could work my way out of any difficulties. Over the last 7 years of downturn I do not feel that way anymore. I am still struggling on because of my kids and long time employees but it is very hard. Every single contractor I know says the same thing about this economy and I suspect it is true in most places.

I love my 09 Z and try and do 2 or 3 track days a year and will keep doing that as long as I can climb in and out of whatever Vette I own.

I have told my wife we may end up in a doublewide but it will have a 2 car garage with a Vette in it.

Be sure and VOTE this year.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
Froggy I completely agree with your thoughts. I started a small excavating company at the age of 20 in 1978 which grew into a larger small excavating company over the years. As you can imagine we experienced a lot of ups and downs but always felt I could work my way out of any difficulties. Over the last 7 years of downturn I do not feel that way anymore. I am still struggling on because of my kids and long time employees but it is very hard. Every single contractor I know says the same thing about this economy and I suspect it is true in most places.

I love my 09 Z and try and do 2 or 3 track days a year and will keep doing that as long as I can climb in and out of whatever Vette I own.

I have told my wife we may end up in a doublewide but it will have a 2 car garage with a Vette in it.

Be sure and VOTE this year.

Everyone get out the vote, it's not hard to do, get a mail in ballot if needed & take the Senate back in this year!!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the exception of the iron disc ring, our Essex bracket will not work with any of the Hardbar components. We created our own internal, clean-sheet, Essex kit to address a number of the issues as shown in this post. Our design has different materials, fasteners, etc., with different bracket and hat offsets, and also seats the caliper down more closely on the bracket through the use of shorter caliper bosses (the stainless steel bits on the bottom of the caliper).
Crap. This means I can't cobble a system together......

We have the Hardbar front setup as you know. I was thinking about moving our existing front bracket and rotors to the rear with your new rear caliper and have you send 355mm rotors and new front bracket and reuse our front calipers to complete the package. Doesn't look like that will fly without some modification........
Old 01-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Patane
Intermediate

Default Other have cracked brackets ?

Hi my name is Patrick and I bought the Z06 of SebDavid a forum member here. It's me that (luckily) found that the Hardbar T1 brackets where cracked. I was shock when I disassemble it and have it in my hand... so small for a 3000lbs 500hp car. We try Seb and I to found via Essex the replacement bracket but as they said it will not fit. They offers us a nice rebate for a sprint kit but I decline it because the caliper are still in good shape So I went to my friend shop and ask I'm to send it for welding.I had it reinstall but never had confidence in those brackets .
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Patane
Hi my name is Patrick and I bought the Z06 of SebDavid a forum member here. It's me that (luckily) found that the Hardbar T1 brackets where cracked. I was shock when I disassemble it and have it in my hand... so small for a 3000lbs 500hp car. We try Seb and I to found via Essex the replacement bracket but as they said it will not fit. They offers us a nice rebate for a sprint kit but I decline it because the caliper are still in good shape So I went to my friend shop and ask I'm to send it for welding.I had it reinstall but never had confidence in those brackets .
A good machine shop could remake the brackets

There's also a website called emachine shop that provides you free cad software with price estimation - you design the part and they make it for you out of almost any material you could come up with

Last edited by el es tu; 01-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Patane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by el es tu
A good machine shop could remake the brackets

There's also a website called emachine shop that provides you free cad software with price estimation - you design the part and they make it for you out of almost any material you could come up with

Thank's for the hint, but I already via my friend who own a shop done something.
He put me in relation with one of is client (Massive Brakes) who make many kind of high quality brackets and add on for the BMW market.
I ask him to design me a bracket to fit the new Wilwood caliper that is almost the same dimension as the AP Racing 8350 but with 6 Pistons.They had a 4 pistons caliper with the same surface ratio of the C5 oem caliper that is built on the same caliper core, so the brackets will fit on the 4 corner...

The best thing is that it will fit the same disk and pad as the front.

When I receive my bracket I was curious to see if it will fit the AP Racing caliper .... And yes it almost fit perfectly... I had some mod to do on it but wow it fit....

So I whant to know if someone is interested in thoses brackets cause I had to made a bunch of them ( 30 )to have a price that could justify the machining and designing of those brackets.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Patane
Intermediate

Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patane
Thank's for the hint, but I already via my friend who own a shop done something.
He put me in relation with one of is client (Massive Brakes) who make many kind of high quality brackets and add on for the BMW market.
I ask him to design me a bracket to fit the new Wilwood caliper that is almost the same dimension as the AP Racing 8350 but with 6 Pistons.They had a 4 pistons caliper with the same surface ratio of the C5 oem caliper that is built on the same caliper core, so the brackets will fit on the 4 corner...

The best thing is that it will fit the same disk and pad as the front.

When I receive my bracket I was curious to see if it will fit the AP Racing caliper .... And yes it almost fit perfectly... I had some mod to do on it but wow it fit....

So I whant to know if someone is interested in thoses brackets cause I had to made a bunch of them ( 30 )to have a price that could justify the machining and designing of those brackets.
How much are you looking for a set of 2? I don't have any issues right now but since I don't plan on changing out my brake kit anytime soon, these would just be sitting on a shelf somewhere in case one ever cracks.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Patane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GettReal
How much are you looking for a set of 2? I don't have any issues right now but since I don't plan on changing out my brake kit anytime soon, these would just be sitting on a shelf somewhere in case one ever cracks.
A reasonable price would be 250$ for 2 brackets and studs, Allen Nut.
Plus my shipping fees.

Quick Reply: Is Hardbar still in business?