Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in new street tires for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Break in new street tires for autocross?

My Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 have finally been shipped after a month long backorder on the rears Will get them mounted on a spare set of wheels next week and then there is an autocross the immediately following Sunday, Sept 7. Is autocrossing on brand new tires a bad idea? What should I do to break them in? This particular event is just over 200 mi away (not my local or even second most local region ) so would just driving on the new tires to the event be sufficient?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try to at least put a few harder miles on the car on the day that you get it, just enough to get them hot - but my guess is it doesn't really matter. 2 years ago I put sticker RS3's on my car and drove 100 miles up to the track that morning and ran them all weekend with no issues.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:10 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll be ok if you drive on them some and get the mold release off of them. You can certainly do that for the rear. Although I've seen 2 people that did back to back tests of old vs. brand new RS3V2's say that it took a few runs for them to really start working 100% and get close to the times they ran on the older set.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

IMO no break in needed. One run will remove the mold release stuff (if you trailer) or a few hwy miles.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Thanks. I might just take them for a quick drive the day before and some spirited abandoned parking lot driving the day before

Originally Posted by froggy47
IMO no break in needed. One run will remove the mold release stuff (if you trailer) or a few hwy miles.

Was actually planning to do this https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-my-frc.html
Hope I can get them all stuffed in there!

Also, another question that I'm not sure deserves it's own thread, are koni single adjustables 1SJ compliant for NCCC rules? My inerpretation of the following says yes, but I've never ran a non-SCCA event.

Name:  4U3mOmB.png
Views: 12
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adjustable shocks have not been legal in 1S for NCCC. Seems like they were going to change something for next year, but I can't remember if it was the shocks/swaybar/etc...
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that rule is to allow stock magnetic ride shocks, since they are adjustable from the factory via the in-car controls. The way I'm reading it, an aftermarket adjustable shock would not be legal as it is not "controlled by strictly stock Factory shock control system" - the adjustments are made by turning non-stock adjusters.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Makes sense. So does that put me in 2J instead? Because my car is definitely not set up for that...

Could always just plastidip away the yellow on those konis
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by dhowdy
My Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 have finally been shipped after a month long backorder on the rears Will get them mounted on a spare set of wheels next week and then there is an autocross the immediately following Sunday, Sept 7. Is autocrossing on brand new tires a bad idea? What should I do to break them in? This particular event is just over 200 mi away (not my local or even second most local region ) so would just driving on the new tires to the event be sufficient?
Yes.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Just to follow up, tires performed quite well. I had driven ~60 highway miles on the tires, but no quick lateral moves to wear the edges. The first two runs they felt very slick, worse than my old, worn PS2's. After getting off the mold release and getting some heat in them though, I started shaving off time almost every run. They felt really good, predictable and let loose in a controllable manner. Unfortunately my best run came during time onlys at a full 2.3 seconds under my competition run (~70-75s course)

Get notified of new replies

To Break in new street tires for autocross?

Quick Reply: Break in new street tires for autocross?