Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

could I flat foot through nascar turns @ daytona?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default could I flat foot through nascar turns @ daytona?

My first experience with nascar turns was at charlotte a few weeks back and that was so cool. I was in my slow rx7 doing 120...

Wondering about daytona with the vette though. Im going in nov with nasa. My new engine short block will be done next week and after assembly and tune I should be pushing 500 at the crank (conservative estimate). The car is my '89 z51 springs/sways, koni yellows, c5 brakes w/ cooling, lowered an inch, continental with about half life, 4pt bar. Pretty nice setup and solid for a 25yr old car.

Everyone at charlotte said "if nascar can do 200 we can flat food no question. Just dont lift whatever you do." Daytona seems bigger, steeper banks, smoother. But ill be hitting 165-170 if I flat foot it... thats pretty fast. Considering the new power will be foreign to me I dont want to push anything and would rather learn the new capabilities on a home track where I really know my traction limit.

However if it is like people said, just go. Nothing to it, I could try it. Kind of worried id get some lift on the straight with no aero.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
My first experience with nascar turns was at charlotte a few weeks back and that was so cool. I was in my slow rx7 doing 120...

Wondering about daytona with the vette though. Im going in nov with nasa. My new engine short block will be done next week and after assembly and tune I should be pushing 500 at the crank (conservative estimate). The car is my '89 z51 springs/sways, koni yellows, c5 brakes w/ cooling, lowered an inch, continental with about half life, 4pt bar. Pretty nice setup and solid for a 25yr old car.

Everyone at charlotte said "if nascar can do 200 we can flat food no question. Just dont lift whatever you do." Daytona seems bigger, steeper banks, smoother. But ill be hitting 165-170 if I flat foot it... thats pretty fast. Considering the new power will be foreign to me I dont want to push anything and would rather learn the new capabilities on a home track where I really know my traction limit.

However if it is like people said, just go. Nothing to it, I could try it. Kind of worried id get some lift on the straight with no aero.
If it were me and I wanted to do it just for "fun" I'd put some brand new slicks on FWIW. They do run pretty stout cages, ya know. As far as the aero, I don't know much except that you should. Let us know how it sticks. You might find it's not "that" smooth. Shoot video with gps speed. If you run 165 there you have some "BIG ONES" dude.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-30-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

With the cost of new slicks and new pads, on top of the cost of daytona it might just be too much for me to do everything. So I think I might just have to the best I can. Guess ill be more cautious than just a flat foot. What about acceleration? would it be best to go into the turn at 145 and come out at 160 or something? Or just go and maintain speed?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NASCAR can do 200 because they are set up for it, oh, and because they have a lot of experience on high banking. I would not go out flat just to see what happens. Warm up, see how both you and car react in the banking, and adjust your speed from there. I don't know your experience but for me, even turn 1 at Pocono took some getting used to and that's not as high as Daytona. You may find that it's no problem. You may also find that you start climbing up the banking no matter how much you turn the wheel = no, I can't go flat here. Who knows until you try, carefully.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did (run flat out), in my 07. I found that I had to turn off all the electronic "help" -- as the steep angles turning left with the wheel straight ahead confused the EBCM. (Or something like that... I normally run in Comp Mode, but ran naked at Daytona.)

The group I was running with added a chicane at the end of NASCAR turns 2 and 4 to slow us down, so my maximum speed was about 155.

It was exhilarating. I'm going back in October, with new rear rubber. I hope to go faster.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
If it were me and I wanted to do it just for "fun" I'd put some brand new slicks on FWIW. They do run pretty stout cages, ya know. As far as the aero, I don't know much except that you should. Let us know how it sticks. You might find it's not "that" smooth. Shoot video with gps speed. If you run 165 there you have some "BIG ONES" dude.

I agree. Back in the early 1970s (before the "bus stop") I drove "flat" through the north banking (1969 L88 with cage). My best memory is at Talladega in 1972, when Dr Wilber Pickett "towed me around" in Bobby Rinzler's L-88 (he also won the race). I asked him (about the tow) "Can I run "FLAT" through the banking?" His response was: "Well I can, but you should work up to it."
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a video from BEZ06.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

My video from Dec 2013. Base C6 with minor mods...headers...sway bars. I run 275 or 285 street tires up front and was getting rubbing on my front right so that limited my banking speed to 120mph...i hit 140mph on back straight.

Guy next to me in the pits had over 600hp and did 178mph....with no cage.

On any track I am basically limited to 150 mph max due to my hp. But thats plenty fast for this Hobbyist.

Daytona is a great compound!

http://youtu.be/M40BJDvWz0Q
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Here's a video from BEZ06.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

That was the only vid I could see that wasnt a beginner in group 1 or 2 and lifted way early. Most people only it 135-140 not cause they couldnt but because they would lift. If that is a stock z with slicks that seems pretty legit.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Here's a first session last year in a Henry Gilbert C5 Z06 T1 car on street tires

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 08-31-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

For being in a green group that was pretty good. What speeds were you seeing? Looked about 140. Interesting to hear the instructor. He wasnt clear to me what he wanted but maybe you understood better. Were you flat footing it?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Thought I was flat till I watched my own video.

First couple of laps had traffic. Even on last lap I was not flat all the way from the bus stop till start finish. Did see 172 on the video and 176 as my top speed of the day.

It is amazing how much the car moves around with a slight breeze coming of NASCAR 4.

The NASCAR guys have a head of steam into 3, and don't mistake a NASCAR for old world racers, those cars are beasts and the drivers have HUGE ba++s.

Daytona is intimidating as hell, something you will work up on. The forces on you body feel more like flying than driving, last time I was there a few people left not feeling well after the first session.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by parsonsj
I did (run flat out), in my 07. I found that I had to turn off all the electronic "help" -- as the steep angles turning left with the wheel straight ahead confused the EBCM. (Or something like that... I normally run in Comp Mode, but ran naked at Daytona.)

The group I was running with added a chicane at the end of NASCAR turns 2 and 4 to slow us down, so my maximum speed was about 155.

It was exhilarating. I'm going back in October, with new rear rubber. I hope to go faster.
Agree on the nannies being off. Killed 2 rotors in one session in comp mode.

What group put in the extra chicanes? Hopefully not NASA or PDG?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Matt...this is Bob.

I had the Black 2006 Base Coupe next to you at Daytona in Dec 2013.

What microphone do you have/how's it hooked up? Do you just plug it in to your Go-Pro camera?

I need to put one on to hear my exhaust better.

I actually had all the nannies on, the entire day....but as you saw, I was not going nearly as fast you. Think my left rear rotor warped due to the extra heat.

If I ever go back, I will turn the nannies off as you guys have recommended.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Guy next to me in the pits had over 600hp and did 178mph....with no cage.
Overlay done using Go Pro Hero 2, Race Render and Trackmaster. Sound using an Audio-Technica ATR3350 mic. Had to modify the Gopro case to take all the plugs ran into it. I run the mic out the back and taped it above the license plate.

I never recommend not using active handling, but some of us have found it doesn't work at Daytona on our cars. Others run in Comp mode with no problems. Never warped a rotor but sure have cracked a bunch.

The hot pit after a red flag oil down on track is probably what killed my rotors.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is my vid from a couple of years ago there. I was running flat out through the turns but only because of the turn out from the infield and the chicane it took time to build up speed. Seems like 150ish was as fast as I saw in the turns and 178mph was my fastest down the front stretch. On stock calipers and XP12s, it was all I could do to get slowed down for turn in. I have the WWSL6s now so hopefully I will get to try them out in Oct.

BTW - second lap is the 178mph lap.

Get notified of new replies

To could I flat foot through nascar turns @ daytona?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
What group put in the extra chicanes? Hopefully not NASA or PDG?
USCA.

http://driveusca.com
Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Overlay done using Go Pro Hero 2, Race Render and Trackmaster. Sound using an Audio-Technica ATR3350 mic. Had to modify the Gopro case to take all the plugs ran into it. I run the mic out the back and taped it above the license plate.

I never recommend not using active handling, but some of us have found it doesn't work at Daytona on our cars. Others run in Comp mode with no problems. Never warped a rotor but sure have cracked a bunch.

The hot pit after a red flag oil down on track is probably what killed my rotors.
Nice driving and the car/cam/headers sounds awesome.

Here's a thread on how to Disable Active Handling

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 09-02-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
NASCAR can do 200 because they are set up for it, oh, and because they have a lot of experience on high banking. I would not go out flat just to see what happens. Warm up, see how both you and car react in the banking, and adjust your speed from there. I don't know your experience but for me, even turn 1 at Pocono took some getting used to and that's not as high as Daytona. You may find that it's no problem. You may also find that you start climbing up the banking no matter how much you turn the wheel = no, I can't go flat here. Who knows until you try, carefully.

I agree. My first time at Pocono was filled with lessons and a rather steep learning curve. After staring into turn 1, I had new found respect for the the "pros". Be smart, listen to the little voice in your head.

Quick Reply: could I flat foot through nascar turns @ daytona?