Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Curt trailer hitch, Got it to fit, no mods to hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:20 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default C6 Curt trailer hitch, Got it to fit, no mods to hitch

I installed the Curt trailer hitch, yes, it's design for base exhaust without Npp.

I have NPP mufflers, and PFADT sway bars, and I got it to fit, as shown in the pictures, with zero modifications to the hitch.

The only actual modification I did was to extend the inner exhaust hanger for each muffler by 1 inch. I just cut in half, added a 1 inch piece of metal by welding it on, and reinstalled.

Depending on your over axle pipes, if clamped or welded, you will need to readjust them probably. All my exhaust is welded, because I do it myself, and it's a huge pain, but the final install came out perfect to me.

The other thing is, the mufflers, over axle pipes, and hitch have to be installed all at the same time and was pretty tricky to do, but it worked out in the end. Now I cannot remove the hitch or the mufflers on their own, I will have to remove both if I change either of those in the future.

Here are the pictures:

Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Earlsays
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you planning on towing with that car?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Tires and tools to track....total weight of cargo with trailer is about 1,200 lbs max.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Cool!

What kind of trailer are you planning on pulling?

I bought a 4'x6' Harbor Freight trailer and it works great.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

building my own...4ft x 6ft....everything i found under $1,500 is complete garbage.

Last edited by bdanyluk; 08-31-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Project Overkill 4x6 trailer: Current progress.

Came out heavier than planned will be about 800lbs empty....so about 1200 or 1300 lbs loaded with tires/tools for the track, but it's stout as hell and will last at least 30 years!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Do you know if that would fit a C6Z06?
Nice job on the trailer by the way!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Do you know if that would fit a C6Z06?
Nice job on the trailer by the way!
I don't see why not...it will probably in a PITA like mine was, but you should be able to get it to " fit ".

As long as you're the person to figure it out and make it work, yes.

If you are the type to try something like this out and say, it's not an exact fit, orange peel powder coat, etc, than this is not a good idea for you.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Finished the trailer today!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job!! wish I was closer to you so a) it wouldn't still be snowing here, and b) I could come over and have you help me install one of those on my NPP equipment coupe... really nice work.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:13 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Smooth as butter at 70mph in 6th gear on highway.

1,400 lbs total with trailer and gear. 120 lbs tongue weight.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Smooth as butter at 70mph in 6th gear on highway.

1,400 lbs total with trailer and gear. 120 lbs tongue weight.

When you said you extended the hangers I first thought you lengthened them horizontally but it looks like your dropped them instead. On your car I can see the muffler stud sticking through the rubber part of the hanger where I can't see that on my car because it is above the rear fascia.

Bill
Old 04-19-2015, 01:31 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

It also looks like the mufflers are further apart than on a stock z. I have a hitch on my z and there is not enough room between the two inside exhaust tips to have the hitch "ears" for the safety chains. Thus, my receiver was just a bit lower than centerline of the exhaust tips.

Still nice job on the op's part and everything looks tidy and professionally done.

I assume the Curt hitch required holes to be drilled in the frame?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by harrydirty
It also looks like the mufflers are further apart than on a stock z. I have a hitch on my z and there is not enough room between the two inside exhaust tips to have the hitch "ears" for the safety chains. Thus, my receiver was just a bit lower than centerline of the exhaust tips.

Still nice job on the op's part and everything looks tidy and professionally done.

I assume the Curt hitch required holes to be drilled in the frame?
Yes, drilled into the frame.

Just got back yesterday from NCM Motorsports park. I got about 22mpg going between 60 to 75mph. Only had to downshift twice into 5th gear in the mountains of Tennessee. Everywhere else was 6th gear and pulls almost like it isn't there. Only real noticeable difference is the braking distance. But driving carefully and staying far back from cars in front of me, everything was super smooth. 1,500lbs or so would be my max weight total, as anything more might be just too much to pull along without hurting the transmission.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Cool!

What kind of trailer are you planning on pulling?

I bought a 4'x6' Harbor Freight trailer and it works great.

I like your method of tying down the tires.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I like your method of tying down the tires.
Wasn't my idea actually and it doesn't hold them down well. They clang together bad while you're going down the road. You have to strap them front to back on each side and then strap them together from left to right. That is just to keep people from stealing them easy.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 AM
leemann2@yahoo.com
Heel & Toe

I installed the Curt trailer hitch, yes, it's design for base exhaust without Npp.

I have NPP mufflers, and PFADT sway bars, and I got it to fit, as shown in the pictures, with zero modifications to the hitch.

The only actual modification I did was to extend the inner exhaust hanger for each muffler by 1 inch. I just cut in half, added a 1 inch piece of metal by welding it on, and reinstalled.

Depending on your over axle pipes, if clamped or welded, you will need to readjust them probably. All my exhaust is welded, because I do it myself, and it's a huge pain, but the final install came out perfect to me.

The other thing is, the mufflers, over axle pipes, and hitch have to be installed all at the same time and was pretty tricky to do, but it worked out in the end. Now I cannot remove the hitch or the mufflers on their own, I will have to remove both if I change either of those in the future.

Here are the pictures:

I like this idea a lot as I will be adding a hitch to my 08 with NPP. I have a couple of questions though if you don't mind. Did you have to remove the mufflers and or over axle pipes to get the hitch in there or is there enough play when you unhook the hangers to get the hitch into place? It looks like I could unbolt the inside hanger from the body and move/redrill the mounting hole to extend them instead of welding. Think that would work OK? (I don't have a way to weld at home) Also when you say adjust the over pipes what does that mean? Just loosen them so you can rotate the mufflers slightly? My exhaust has the stock clamps so I'm hoping I can just loosen without removing the whole thing? Thanks I appreciate the help.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Curt trailer hitch, Got it to fit, no mods to hitch

Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by leemann2@yahoo.com
I like this idea a lot as I will be adding a hitch to my 08 with NPP. I have a couple of questions though if you don't mind. Did you have to remove the mufflers and or over axle pipes to get the hitch in there or is there enough play when you unhook the hangers to get the hitch into place? It looks like I could unbolt the inside hanger from the body and move/redrill the mounting hole to extend them instead of welding. Think that would work OK? (I don't have a way to weld at home) Also when you say adjust the over pipes what does that mean? Just loosen them so you can rotate the mufflers slightly? My exhaust has the stock clamps so I'm hoping I can just loosen without removing the whole thing? Thanks I appreciate the help.
For the 1 inch extension, you could try cutting a piece of metal, and drill 2 holes for a 1/4" bolt and make it a bolt in extension, instead of welding. Its not structural, it just needs to support the weight if the mufflers.

You might be able to get everything in with just loosening your clamps, worst case you take the clamps off, adjust and install, and clamp back on. Just go ahead and try it out, dont be afraid. If this is your only car I would recommend getting help from someone.....if its a secondary car, then you have all the time in the world.

Just follow the directions that come with the hitch and watch this video. piece of cake.

https://youtu.be/BXVE0ZjiHlU
Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

For the 1 inch extension, you could try cutting a piece of metal, and drill 2 holes for a 1/4" bolt and make it a bolt in extension, instead of welding. Its not structural, it just needs to support the weight if the mufflers.

You might be able to get everything in with just loosening your clamps, worst case you take the clamps off, adjust and install, and clamp back on. Just go ahead and try it out, dont be afraid. If this is your only car I would recommend getting help from someone.....if its a secondary car, then you have all the time in the world.

Just follow the directions that come with the hitch and watch this video. piece of cake.

I would also recommend BLUE Loc- Tite on all 4 bolts,nuts.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:10 AM
leemann2@yahoo.com
Heel & Toe

That doesn't sound bad at all. I will order one up today. Thanks again for the help. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Quick Reply: C6 Curt trailer hitch, Got it to fit, no mods to hitch