Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatality at Lime Rock Parks Historics

Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Fatality at Lime Rock Parks Historics

Connie Ann Kirk
Historic Motorsports Examiner

August 30, 2014

Historic racing at the popular Labor Day weekend event at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut suffered the first fatality of the festival's existence on Saturday, August 30. Lee Duran of Lyme, Connecticut passed away from injuries sustained while competing in the second race of the day for Group 2. He was pronounced dead at Sharon Hospital in Sharon, Connecticut.

Duran drove car #305, a blue 1934 MG PA Special. According to Rick Roso, Lime Rock Park press officer, Duran was fatally injured in a one-car accident when he lost control of his car in the Downhill turn.

Those who saw the crash and its aftermath saw the car flip and end up on the edge of the track upside down. Action on the track stopped, and medical and track personnel arrived on the scene. Duran's car was returned right-side up. Efforts at resuscitation were visible to some spectators in the area as well as writers and photographers in the Media Center overlooking the scene.

According to Roso, Duran’s wife indicated that her husband had raced historic cars for some time and owned several cars. He had taken up sailing for a time as well. He missed the cars, however, and focused on the sport once again.

This is the first time in the 32 years of the popular Lime Rock Park Historic Festival that the event has experienced a fatality. Like other race tracks around the world, the Lime Rock Park track in the Connecticut Berkshires has had other deaths occur over its 57-year existence.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Sadly I was at the track today and saw this. Wasn't a good sign seeing the para- medics performing chest compressions on the side of the track and then watching him bieng taken away (slowly) in ambulance.
Godspeed my friend :-(
Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The two Corvettes I usually crew for, are there. I couldn't go this weekend, but I heard from one of the drivers. Like most forms of racing, vintage racing is a pretty tight knit group, and he told me that it really upset everyone competing there.

I love racing, but it hurts whenever we lose someone. We don't deal with this too often, in vintage racing, but it can happen. Hopefully, things will be better at the Watkins Glen US Vintage Grand Prix, next weekend.

Racing is still dangerous, no matter what you race, so be careful out there!

RIP
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Prayers for his family.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

very sorry to hear sympathy to his family
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Sad news! My sincere condolences to his family!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to family and friends. Does anyone know where / how the accident happened?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to family and friends. Does anyone know where / how the accident happened?
I haven't heard to many details, but it happened in what Lime Rock calls "The Downhill". This is turn 7, in the area after the crossover bridge. I was told the car rolled a number of times.

He was driving his 1934 MG PA, in Group 2 for pre-war sports and racing cars.

Duran was a regular at Vintage Sports Car Club of America (VSCCA) vintage events. His MG is the second car in line in the photo below. I shot this at Thompson Speedway (CT), at the inaugural VSCCA/VRG Thompson Vintage Festival, back in June.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:22 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Dont know exactly what happened...but it was early in the race (I think it was the 3rd lap) and he was in a group that was trying to pass the big '33 Bentley just before the bridge....
Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default crash

Prayers and condolences to family and friends!

Get notified of new replies

To Fatality at Lime Rock Parks Historics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fatality at Lime Rock Parks Historics