Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillclimb crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
I would like to keep ABS too. Now that I know about ice mode, I might be able to adapt to it and recycle the brakes to get braking power back instead of staying on the brakes like I did there. Ideally I would need a set of softer springs on my coilovers for bumpy hillclimbs.
I might try a slightly less aggressive brake pad in the back (I typically run same pads front/back). If the issue persists I will just stop using the Vette for hillclimbs and keep it for track usage only.
I am currently finishing lightening the car (headlight delete, HVAC delete, AIR delete) as I am repairing the front. I will try a couple of bumpy AutoX to try to reproduce the ice mode conditions to see if I can handle it in a safer environment (there is very little margin for error in hillclimbs!).
I would get it during autox coming out of a spin, I'd still be rolling but ice mode brakes not stopping me. You may need to induce a spin to try & find it. Also tires outside of stock size may help induce.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread so someone else may have mentioned this already, but the car was in 1st gear when you went off. Limp mode enabled during the entire "off" process.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I wonder if the ice mode is just ABS or ABS&TC combined that would maintain the RPMs at what they are to prevent the car from sliding on ice by lifting abruptly the gas pedal...
TC doesn't activate when you have your foot on the brake. TC does two things to control rear wheel slippage, the first and quickest response is to cut throttle and if that doesn't work then it applies a rear brake to control the wheel that is slipping. I think you had the car in neutral and while the major part of your foot was on the brake the edge of the throttle pedal was caught on the edge of your shoe so there was enough throttle to hit the rev limiter while the car was slowing. That explains the limiter acting the way it did since the rpms were wrong for the speed and the gear you were supposedly in. If you would have been in 2nd gear at a speed of 36 mph the engine would not have been turning high enough rpms to activate the rev limiter. Go by the OBD data since that is what the car is going by. It is obvious from the GPS data it is quite delayed as it still shows the car moving when it is sitting still in the bushes.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
TC doesn't activate when you have your foot on the brake. TC does two things to control rear wheel slippage, the first and quickest response is to cut throttle and if that doesn't work then it applies a rear brake to control the wheel that is slipping. I think you had the car in neutral and while the major part of your foot was on the brake the edge of the throttle pedal was caught on the edge of your shoe so there was enough throttle to hit the rev limiter while the car was slowing. That explains the limiter acting the way it did since the rpms were wrong for the speed and the gear you were supposedly in. If you would have been in 2nd gear at a speed of 36 mph the engine would not have been turning high enough rpms to activate the rev limiter. Go by the OBD data since that is what the car is going by. It is obvious from the GPS data it is quite delayed as it still shows the car moving when it is sitting still in the bushes.

Bill

Much as we hate to admit we could have had a foot wrong, that is my opinion too. I HAVE had a foot wrong, no shame, it happens.

Even F1 drivers have offs.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Your analysis is good Bill, I am pretty sure I grabbed some gas after my heel toe and being in neutral would explain the mismatch between rev and speed. Some of the things that still don't make sense to me is that 1. The car should have made the turn at 36mph (even in neutral?), 2. At 25-30% throttle in neutral the rpms don't go over 2500rpms when I try with the live telemetry, I have to be at 80%+ to hit the rev limiter (but the throttle data might be off) 3. Why the car didn't slow down more arriving slower and braking earlier than the previous run?
As mentioned in a previous comment, it really looks like the rpms jump when I engage the clutch and that the shifter moves around like it typically does at the rev limiter and the gear doesn't seem to have popped out. But having missed the gear is what makes most sense at this point. I wish i had the foot cam to tell how much I screwed up with the brake/gas.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

Much as we hate to admit we could have had a foot wrong, that is my opinion too. I HAVE had a foot wrong, no shame, it happens.

Even F1 drivers have offs.
No worries I take all the blame for what happened and I know I'm far from being the best driver. However I'd like to understand what I did wrong to learn from it. Just grabbing some gas on the edge of the brakes is not enough to me to explain what happened, there are still inconsistencies with that story. I'm sure it's part of it but it's not the whole story. I have missed plenty of heel toes in the past and it just doesn't add up.
Right now I'm thinking brake+gas / neutral / ice mode or abs issue combined with misreading of the car understeer that caused me to not have enough steering input. Also the obd2 throttle data would have to be way off to back up that hypothesis. I haven't driven the car since but it should be backup together soon!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

No worries I take all the blame for what happened and I know I'm far from being the best driver. However I'd like to understand what I did wrong to learn from it. Just grabbing some gas on the edge of the brakes is not enough to me to explain what happened, there are still inconsistencies with that story. I'm sure it's part of it but it's not the whole story. I have missed plenty of heel toes in the past and it just doesn't add up.
Right now I'm thinking brake+gas / neutral / ice mode or abs issue combined with misreading of the car understeer that caused me to not have enough steering input. Also the obd2 throttle data would have to be way off to back up that hypothesis. I haven't driven the car since but it should be backup together soon!
When I instruct and student has a spin (maybe for the first time) they often obsess over "what did I do wrong". Not saying you are obsessive as I often won't "let it go" when something is "off" of what I expect to have happened.

Sometimes ya gotta just put it in the rearview mirror & move it on.

I had one error code that popped up on my c5z, I forget which one, something about starting, never saw it b4, I tried for a couple of days to research it & figure it out. Then I moved on & that was a couple of years ago, never saw it again.

Now it the same thing happens 2x or more, that's different.

Keep us posted on the repairs.

Quick Reply: Hillclimb crash