Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor/pad set up for track

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM
trj3
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rotor/pad set up for track

Just had my 2nd and 3rd track days in the Z06. First off, best car Ive ever had right out of the box on the track! Anyway, I went through a set of Carbotech 20s on the front in 13 sessions at VIR. All stability controls off. Rears are Carbotech 10s and look fine. I do have brake cooling ducts and ran hoosire r6 tires. Rotors are Centric Cryo treated and held up ok. Probably have another day or so left on those.

The Carbotech pads worked ok but were softer than Id like. Any combos out there that will last longer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by trj3
Just had my 2nd and 3rd track days in the Z06. First off, best car Ive ever had right out of the box on the track! Anyway, I went through a set of Carbotech 20s on the front in 13 sessions at VIR. All stability controls off. Rears are Carbotech 10s and look fine. I do have brake cooling ducts and ran hoosire r6 tires. Rotors are Centric Cryo treated and held up ok. Probably have another day or so left on those.

The Carbotech pads worked ok but were softer than Id like. Any combos out there that will last longer?

Thanks in advance.
Trade pad life for rotor life. Pick your poison.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
trj3
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Rotors are cheaper than pads..... Or buy more expensive rotors.... Just looking for the best set up.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I seem to have found a nice balance of pad and rotor life using Wilwood H front and rear. I have heard others like Raybestos ST43 or 47. I really like the Carbotech but also found that they don't last long and they are expensive.

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 09-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was using the XP-20s with DBA 4000 rotors but found a better balance with rotors and pads for my braking style. I use the 2 piece Wilwood rotors and like both the Raybestos ST-43 and Hawk DTC-60/70 combo. I've tried the Raybestos ST-47, but they bite too hard (with my heavy foot) and lock up. The ST-43 lasts a long time.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks in advance.
If you decide to stick with the Carbotech check out the XP24 better wear rate.

Carbotech™ XP24™

XP24™ is the pinnacle compound of the extremely successful XP™ Series of compounds engineered by Carbotech™. This compound is based on the same fundamentals that exist in all other Carbotech™ formulations. XP24™ has even more initial bite, more overall bite, and more torque along with the most linear torque curve we have ever offered. The thermal characteristics are of the highest Carbotech™ offers along with one of the highest coefficient of friction ratings offered by anyone in the braking industry. This compound is the longest wearing compound Carbotech™ offers as it was originally engineered for endurance applications at the highest pro racing levels. This revolutionary new compound has been extremely successful with open wheel, closed wheel, sprint and endurance applications. XP24™ has a temperature range of 400°F to 2000°F+ (204°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP24™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise along with the necessary heat required to work properly.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thanks in advance.
It seems like you have fairly good pad wear. It is hard to get much better than that since the caliper design limits pad thickness.

Stock cross drilled rotors will last about 5 track days of hard track usage before cracking. For the money ($100 ea shipped) I haven't seen any other rotors that are all that much better. If you spend $300 for a replacement rotor ring on a two piece setup and only get 7 or 8 days usage before it cracks it makes sense to stick with stock rotors.

I have Wilwood W6A calipers in the front on brackets that allow me to run the stock rotor, a Coleman two piece rotor or a Wilwood two piece rotor. I have W4A calipers in the rear but am limited to two piece 14 inch rotors there.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor/pad set up for track

Quick Reply: Rotor/pad set up for track