Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Well Vents, instaled

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Wheel Well Vents, instaled

Finally got around to installing my wheel well vents. I thought I'd share the finished product and listen to comments, good or bad. I might learn something.

Decided to stick in a pic of the new splitter struts as well
Attached Images    
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought the idea of the side vents was to evacuate air from the engine compartment.

Have considered removing the plastic piece on the side vent to get more air flow past the dry-sump tank?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

You may want to make tunnels to channel the air and keep debris from collecting, however you may also want to vent the hood to get more hot air out of the engine bay if you do this

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Have considered removing the plastic piece on the side vent to get more air flow past the dry-sump tank?
one of the first "mods" (if youd call it that) I did on my base c6

Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I thought the idea of the side vents was to evacuate air from the engine compartment.

I suppose they are. However, the flow path is so restricted, it can't be very effective. I removed my hood seal at the windshield to evacuate hot air from under the hood.

The wheel well builds up a high pressure area causing some front end lift. And the air is dirty air as it exits the wheel well. I'm hoping this will release the air easier and cleaner. CFD study's of the wheel well area show the venting helps.

Also, I removed the front air dam in front of the tires. I hope that will reduce the amount of air being pulled/packed into the wheel well. I am making ducts going to the factory brake cooling duct to make up for removing the dam as the dam is just behind the duct opening. I'm sure I lost some air flow and velocity into the brake cooling duct by taking the air dam off.

Everything is an experiment.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:28 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by el es tu
You may want to make tunnels to channel the air and keep debris from collecting, however you may also want to vent the hood to get more hot air out of the engine bay if you do this

one of the first "mods" (if youd call it that) I did on my base c6

I have a hood waiting to get the vents. That will be a next spring addition.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The base of the windshield is a high pressure area that will fill your engine compartment with air.

If you install a vent in the hood in the forward areas you will get evacuation of under hood air.

Look at the race car for an idea on placement.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

have you tried removing the rear valence and trimming hte rear liners to fit? this should vent more air out from the rear...

Last edited by el es tu; 09-11-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Doesn't he lower air dam also help pull air through the radiator?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:54 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

have you tried removing the rear valence and trimming hte rear liners to fit? this should vent more air out from the rear...

You may remember, I'm the guy building the rear splitter fashioned a bit like yours only fitted to the car as an aftermarket bolt on unit.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by k wright
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area that will fill your engine compartment with air.

If you install a vent in the hood in the forward areas you will get evacuation of under hood air.

Yes, but I believe under the hood is a higher pressure zone because of the ram air effect thru the grill and the lower air dam causing air to go up behind the radiator.

If i'm wrong, please help out.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:00 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Doesn't he lower air dam also help pull air through the radiator?
Yes and no, that's why I only removed the two sides. The middle section is still in place. The c6z is a front feeder radiator set up. The air that goes through the radiator enters through the grill. The air dam adds air to the engine compartment that enters behind the radiator, not through the front of the radiator. So I don't think the air going into the engine compartment because of the air dam actually goes through the radiator.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Envision the area behind the air dam as a low pressure area and "pulling" air down and through the radiator.

Either way, it is a moot point if you left the center section in place.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

That's what I thought also, removing that seal is a bad idea.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

The air damn is supposed to prevent more air from spilling under the car, thereby reducing aerodynamic drag and rear end lift, however, because of its placement, it creates a high pressure zone which causes front end lift.

If you can evacuate more air out the rear it might be a good idea to remove the entire airdam. Also if you can at least cover the subframes with flat sections, this will also help reduce drag and lift that the airdam is supposed to help prevent.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by rabrooks
You may remember, I'm the guy building the rear splitter fashioned a bit like yours only fitted to the car as an aftermarket bolt on unit.
AHHH bad memory!

Hows the project going?

Last edited by el es tu; 09-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

AHHH bad memory!

Hows the project going?

It was going good until I blew up the brand new engine. The car sat in the shop of 75 day, (the whole freaking summer) I have it back now and decided not to work on it until the fall. IT and the new hood should be ready by spring.
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your tinkering !!!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, but I believe under the hood is a higher pressure zone because of the ram air effect thru the grill and the lower air dam causing air to go up behind the radiator.

If i'm wrong, please help out.
The volume of air on the top of the hood is much greater and it has a higher velocity. Under the hood is lower pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Well Vents, instaled

Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

IIRC there were some pictures of C6s at the nurburgring showing how much air pressure builds up - so much so that the hood gets pushed upward. There is a german company that actually makes a device that attaches to the hood latching mechanism in order to raise the hood and allow air to escape...

EDIT:
Found it:

http://dev.tikt.de/wp/?page_id=225

Originally Posted by TIKT
HAUBE

TIKT Performance Hauben Halter für Corvette C6

Diese optische Leckerbissen, verfolgen einen recht einfachen wie simplen Grundgedanken, sie sorgen dafür, das durch die aufgestellte Haube
die heiße Luft im Motorraum austreten kann. Die Halter sind binnen weniger Sekunden ohne schmutzige Finger anzubringen und genauso schnell
wieder abgebaut! Wasser und Öltemperatur wird um ca. 10C° gesenkt, aber der eigentliche Vorteil liegt darin, das die Nebenaggregate wie Lichtmaschine, Anlasser, Hauptbremszylinder im weiteren Verlauf
auch die Kupplungs Glocke, das Tourqe Tube bis hin zum Getriebe, weniger von der sich anstaunenden Motorhitze angegriffen werden, klar dass das in allen Bereichen nur von Vorteil ist.
Die Halter wurden von uns bis 300km/h getestet, trotzdem sind sie nicht im Straßenverkehr zugelassen und nur auf abgesperrten Strecken zu benutzen!

Preis: € 230,- inkl. 19% Mwst. zzgl. Versand
Originally Posted by TIKT
HOOD

TIKT Performance Hood holder for Corvette C6

This visual treat, follow a fairly simple and simple basic idea, they ensure that by the posted hood
the hot air to escape from the engine compartment. The holder shall be installed within a few seconds without dirty finger and just as quickly
broken down again! Water and oil temperature is lowered to about 10C °, but the real advantage is that the accessories such as alternator, starter, brake master cylinder in the further course
also the clutch bell, the Tourqe Tube and gear units are less affected by the engine heat up anstaunenden clear that this is in all areas of advantage only.
The holders have been tested by us to 300km / h, but they are not allowed on the roads and to use only on closed!

Price: € 230, - incl. 19% VAT. plus. Shipping

Last edited by el es tu; 09-12-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

It was going good until I blew up the brand new engine. The car sat in the shop of 75 day, (the whole freaking summer) I have it back now and decided not to work on it until the fall. IT and the new hood should be ready by spring.
Yeah these projects never tend to go as quickly as anticipated... Im two years into my diffuser project, right near the finish line and cant get the time to just finish the brackets and mount the darn thing.

Very nice! I like how all that wheel well area is used up. Thats one area of my design that I might change after testing.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

The volume of air on the top of the hood is much greater and it has a higher velocity. Under the hood is lower pressure.
I don't think volume matters in this situation.
Fast moving air is low pressure, sloww moving air is high pressure (generally) Bernouli's rule.
The hood/windshield has the venturi effect.
In the pic all the blue is low pressure
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Wheel Well Vents, instaled