Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run with your helmet visor up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Run with your helmet visor up...

Hope you wear glasses like me. I had a fly splatter dead center of my left lens at 140+ on the back straight of Watkins Glen in my C5Z...head was where it was supposed to be

I can't imagine how distracting it would have been if I got nailed in the eyeball.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Run with it up? I run with it removed! But then again when I was young I used to ride the d.bike w/o goggles.

Yep, I wear glasses.

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Hope you wear glasses like me. I had a fly splatter dead center of my left lens at 140+ on the back straight of Watkins Glen in my C5Z...head was where it was supposed to be

I can't imagine how distracting it would have been if I got nailed in the eyeball.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Made the mistake of having my visor up 1 TIME Caught a stone just under my eye. Damn that hurt.
Stone was thrown up by my own front tire
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I usually run with it opened slightly in the next to the lowest position. That way I can get some air and the shield is down far enough to keep things from flying directly into my eyes.

Bill
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I currently run open faced, but I have to wear glasses too. Never had any bugs or rocks hit my face though.

Next helmet will probably be a full face type though with a hans device. Now that I have a harness installed.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:14 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Made the mistake of having my visor up 1 TIME Caught a stone just under my eye. Damn that hurt.
Me too, doing about 120 (hurt for several days). Not sure where it came from but if I don't have glasses on, the visor is down.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wear sunglasses so, I leave it up. I guess I should reconsider leaving it up when running in the wet or on an very overcast day.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I usually run with it opened slightly in the next to the lowest position. That way I can get some air and the shield is down far enough to keep things from flying directly into my eyes.

Bill
it took one time at ACS at about 140 catching a piece of rubber that left a mark on my helmet...but i need air so I crack the visor 2 clicks
Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Left my visor up once, got this in my eye

Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

All sorts of things fly into the car at speed. Had a hornet/wasp/bee (?) enter the car while in right seat at speed down VIR back straight. Got into my left arm pit through open short sleeve. Darn thing would not let up, brought tears to my eyes for 2 laps! I suppose into a helmet would not be pretty either. I run with only 1 notch up for reasons said by others.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:46 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

That deer at the track video is insane...

I haven't had anything hit my face with my visor up at the track when driving a car, but I did have all kinds of things get into my helmet on a bike, even with a visor fully closed. A bee that made its way in on a backroads run scared the bejeesus out of me and hurt like two hells.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Up here, we go by SCCA rules, which say there must be 2 layers of protection between
the outside air, and the driver's face.
Naturally, the windshield is 1 layer.

If you wear glasses, that is the second layer; if not, then you must use the visor.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm planning on going to Summit next month. The deer thing is pretty scary. A coworker hit one in his spec miata at Summit.

SouthernSon, who lets you run in short sleeves?? Two laps, didn't want to pit after one (no pun intended)?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
SouthernSon, who lets you run in short sleeves?? Two laps, didn't want to pit after one (no pun intended)?
I instruct with several groups but this particular weekend was hot, 100 degrees IIRC. Some groups demand long sleeve, some are flexible with the short sleeves. Of course, when I W2W it must be FIA approved race suits. The particular day in question, I was in a car with 6 point harnesses both seats. I strapped in tight, had HANS - the whole works. How that little booger got up in my left arm pit, I'll never know. But, the driver was accelerating out right smartly while we were in traffic so I didn't want to yell out in agony as we approached 140 - 150 or so. As in aviation - aviate, navigate, communicate. We were deep into the 'aviate' stage. After the stinger left the 'pit', it felt a whole lot better. We continued for the full session. The whelp stayed with me the whole day.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I wear glasses - my daily wear glasses do not fit into my race helmet, the arms are pretty thick...so I have a pair of driving/racing glasses just for the car, thinner arms, they fit in the helmet just fine. Even with a window net I keep the visor down, every now and then I tend to 'run out of talent' and you get all kinds of fun stuff in the cockpit...I have a forced air system that helps keep fresh air into the helmet, helps to cut down on facial sweat.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I typically have sunglasses on as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually leave my visor up. The visor on my Zamp helmet distorts my vision a little. I sent it back and they replaced it but there was little improvement. I don't usually wear glasses to drive but I think that is about to change.

I used to get hit in the face by rocks all the time at one place we autocrossed. Had rocks all under my intake when I removed it too.

Get notified of new replies

To Run with your helmet visor up...

Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwg2
Left my visor up once, got this in my eye

Hyperfest: "Some guy hit a deer" (short) - YouTube
One takeaway from my experience with the deer; I was relying on my windshield as protection and failed to consider that it was actually another hazard. I tell my wife that the track is safer than the Beltway, but track time is always potentially hazardous and you have to protect yourself from rare but bad outcomes. Visor down always.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I instruct with several groups but this particular weekend was hot, 100 degrees IIRC. Some groups demand long sleeve, some are flexible with the short sleeves. Of course, when I W2W it must be FIA approved race suits. The particular day in question, I was in a car with 6 point harnesses both seats. I strapped in tight, had HANS - the whole works. How that little booger got up in my left arm pit, I'll never know. But, the driver was accelerating out right smartly while we were in traffic so I didn't want to yell out in agony as we approached 140 - 150 or so. As in aviation - aviate, navigate, communicate. We were deep into the 'aviate' stage. After the stinger left the 'pit', it felt a whole lot better. We continued for the full session. The whelp stayed with me the whole day.
The little sucker just loved you, Arte, like I do!

Jim
Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
The little sucker just loved you, Arte, like I do!

Jim
I am a lovable guy. I really do have my moments.

Quick Reply: Run with your helmet visor up...