Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to get into some HPDE.. 04z, los angeles area

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default Want to get into some HPDE.. 04z, los angeles area

I have an 04z in the los angeles area and I want to try some HPDE. What are the tracks that are near me other than willow springs? What types of events should I start out with?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Speed Ventures as they have quite a few corvettes running the Corvette Challenge. Tracks are Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla. Cal Club and NASA clubs run all those tracks as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I like Speed Ventures for HPDE.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:08 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

don't forget about arosc.org They have a three level school that can help you get your feet wet from HPDE to time trialing to racing wheel to wheel. Their next school is in November I think. It is very cheap too and they also run regular events like Speed ventures. Also there is spring mountain that can instruct in corvettes. If you are ready to just pay your money and hit the track speed ventures has the most dates from mostly socal to some norcal. Then there is NCRC who goes from all norcal tracks to buttonwillow mostly and will run joint events with arosc.org sometimes.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:03 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speed Ventures is good, and I also think Porsche Club of America and Porsche Owners Clubs put on good events with decent instruction.

Specifically, PCA San Diego and Golden Gate regions have very well run groups.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
don't forget about arosc.org They have a three level school that can help you get your feet wet from HPDE to time trialing to racing wheel to wheel. Their next school is in November I think. It is very cheap too and they also run regular events like Speed ventures. Also there is spring mountain that can instruct in corvettes. If you are ready to just pay your money and hit the track speed ventures has the most dates from mostly socal to some norcal. Then there is NCRC who goes from all norcal tracks to buttonwillow mostly and will run joint events with arosc.org sometimes.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

ok thanks for the suggestions.. I see a couple places they suggest a tow hook. Should I install a tow hook in the rear? Do I have to remove the rear bumper to install it?

I have 285/35/18 Michelin PSS tires on 4 c5z rear rims. Stock calipers and not sure what pads are on the car. What pads should I run?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
ok thanks for the suggestions.. I see a couple places they suggest a tow hook. Should I install a tow hook in the rear? Do I have to remove the rear bumper to install it?

I have 285/35/18 Michelin PSS tires on 4 c5z rear rims. Stock calipers and not sure what pads are on the car. What pads should I run?

A tow hook on each end is preferable. Generally the fascias need to be removed, but I think some folks have done it without removal.

I like as much tire as I can get.

OEM calipers and rotors do remarkably well, but if you start running often and as speed increases an upgrade is advisable. If you are mechanically inclined I like Hawk DTC70s on the front and DTC60 on the rear. Just install them a day or two before going to the track and then remove them after the track day. You appear to have another car so that should be doable. DTCs don't like street driving.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Check this site to see most of the events that will be run in your area: http://www.motorsportreg.com/ . Just enter your zip code, a mileage radius, click on driver school and it will give you most of the organizations running events within that area. Most groups let you pay through the site.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Want to get into some HPDE.. 04z, los angeles area

Quick Reply: Want to get into some HPDE.. 04z, los angeles area