Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Reprogramming with SCCA file, who does it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM
C4B4the04
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS Reprogramming with SCCA file, who does it?

Gents,

Spoke to one of the CTS-V technicians for the factory team this summer at Katech's event. He mentioned that there is a reprogramming available (not very common) for the C5's to run square tires, and allows for a far more track friendly reprogram of the ABS parameters.

Please, before you tell me it can't be done, this guy had it on his own C5. I just can't recall who he said did it.

Any leads are appreciated and will result in virtual hi-fives and good karma..

Thanks!

Cassidy
Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Would be very interested in this
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

First thing you would need is a tool that can connect with the EBCM and download updated firmware for the specific track. A Tech 2 may be able to do it since they can supposedly download updates to all of the modules in the car so they can correct errors that are found during Customer usage. However, you would need to have some way to get the correct file from somebody in GM or the supplier of the EBCM. Suppliers have been Delco and Bosch.

This possibility has been available for quite some time. From what I heard the programming could be made track specific.

Bill
Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been trying to find this too. I checked with John Heinricy a month ago on this subject and he thought there were two programs for T1 cars (squared and not squared tires) using the older Bosch 5.3 abs system though -versus my 2002 model. I don't know if there is a newer variant available, but he did give me the name of Chuck Herbers (maybe mispelled?) at GM Parts to find out more. I haven't been able to locate Chuck's phone number yet
Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Would be very interested in this
+1. How can this still not be readily available for everyone who tracks a C5? I mean, they've been around since 1997! Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone with the right equipment. Mail in the ebcm, reflash, mail back. Paypal.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 AM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

very interesting. Looking forward to hear more info chime in
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
+1. How can this still not be readily available for everyone who tracks a C5? I mean, they've been around since 1997! Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone with the right equipment. Mail in the ebcm, reflash, mail back. Paypal.
Not quite that simple. First thing is getting a copy of the file from GM or their supplier. That might happen the day after hell freezes over since they will not want to take on the liability of issuing an ABS behavioral change that could be construed by a lawyer as being faulty.

Bill
Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe these folks could help?

http://www.digicontrols.ca/abs.html
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like you guys are discussing the ABS calibration that was discussed here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-is-the.html

In the thread linked above, there are part numbers for new modules. If you can't get yours reflashed, buying one might be an option. Keep in mind though, according to the other thread, you lose traction control and active handling. If you care.....

PS I can run a square tire set up on my car, which has the stock calibration, without issue. This includes traction control turned off but stability control on or off. I haven't tried it with traction control on.

Last edited by MySR71; 09-16-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

When I was running Hoosiers, 275/17 fronts and 295/18 rears I would occasionally hit ICE mode on hard stops. When I reprogrammed my tire sizes into the PCM, it not only cleared up the speedometer it practically eliminated me going into ICE mode except under the most extreme circumstances. 2000 FRC
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
Sounds like you guys are discussing the ABS calibration that was discussed here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-is-the.html

In the thread linked above, there are part numbers for new modules. If you can't get yours reflashed, buying one might be an option. Keep in mind though, according to the other thread, you lose traction control and active handling. If you care.....

PS I can run a square tire set up on my car, which has the stock calibration, without issue. This includes traction control turned off but stability control on or off. I haven't tried it with traction control on.
Thanks for linking. So DRP goes away with this? At Mid Ohio, I've had a couple corners where I was going to go wide in a tight corner from hard braking and I felt something ease up in the hydraulics through the pedal and the car turned in (TC off)...was that DRP? Also, checked that part number listed in the link for c5z and it's the same as standard for '02.

Last edited by briannutter1; 09-17-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS Reprogramming with SCCA file, who does it?

Quick Reply: ABS Reprogramming with SCCA file, who does it?