Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you think you don't need a HANS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

This really makes me think about making my car a track only car and put in the extra safety equipment (cage and different style seats). Then keep the DD for the street...

Seeing as there is no airbag, regular 3 point belts, no hans on the street or helmet... makes you wonder how it would fair if a new car were to hit you head on on the street... I know back in the day they never had airbags and people were *ok*, but they also didnt have the new style of cars on the road they do now...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:40 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
This really makes me think about making my car a track only car and put in the extra safety equipment (cage and different style seats). Then keep the DD for the street...

Seeing as there is no airbag, regular 3 point belts, no hans on the street or helmet... makes you wonder how it would fair if a new car were to hit you head on on the street... I know back in the day they never had airbags and people were *ok*, but they also didnt have the new style of cars on the road they do now...
I always wonder about guys who do a lot of HDPE's without a cage and full safety gear. I know it's allowed, and technically you're not 'racing', but you're still running around a racetrack at 120mph or more, so there is plenty of potential for a violent crash. I won't go on a track without a HANS anymore, it's really just not worth it.

For those who are ready to face death in the face, I find it much more frightening to think that I could end up drooling on myself in a wheelchair for the rest of my life...
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I always wonder about guys who do a lot of HDPE's without a cage and full safety gear. I know it's allowed, and technically you're not 'racing', but you're still running around a racetrack at 120mph or more, so there is plenty of potential for a violent crash. I won't go on a track without a HANS anymore, it's really just not worth it.

For those who are ready to face death in the face, I find it much more frightening to think that I could end up drooling on myself in a wheelchair for the rest of my life...
Hi Latebreak,

Let me clarify..... I am in my mid 70s, have had a full competition license since 1971, and have seen "many" drivers die on track. I race a 1963 Z06 Corvette with only a roll "BAR".....not a roll cage. A wise man once told me that "If you can't afford to walk away from a first turn, first lap race with a totaled car, then you should not race." I would emphasize that "racing is dangerous". Therefore, you should use ALL available safety equipment...correctly, AND, if you are realistic, you should allow for the possibility that YOU will be killed or injured in your very first on track event! I'm sorry, but that is just fact!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree 100%...

Random question, any chance you've raced with Dick Kantrud over the years? Great guy, I had the privelege of working with him on his Group 6 Corvette a few years ago before he retired.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Now Garrett, don't scare the kids like that. It might just happen in their second time out.

Steve
Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Now I won't sleep tonight. Thanks gents lol.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Now Garrett, don't scare the kids like that. It might just happen in their second time out.

Steve
Hi Steve. I looked for ya at CoTA last weekend, but your friends there told me that you had already loaded up and left. I'm sorry to see that you missed a good party Saturday evening. Tony put on a good fireworks display too. Hope all is OK with you and your crew
Garrett
Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Hi Steve. I looked for ya at CoTA last weekend, but your friends there told me that you had already loaded up and left. I'm sorry to see that you missed a good party Saturday evening. Tony put on a good fireworks display too. Hope all is OK with you and your crew
Garrett
yes, everything is fine. After we got rained out Saturday and I already couldn't stay for Sunday then I lost the patience to just sit around in the rain all morning for the party that night. Had a good week though and the car ran fine. Thanks for looking for me. See you in November at TWS?

Steve

Quick Reply: So you think you don't need a HANS?