Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get faster...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:21 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Help me get faster...

Below is a video of a few laps from my trip to Putnam Park a couple of weeks ago. I am still learning this car (only 2nd time in it at the track), and I obviously need more seat time (not to mention talent). However, please critique my line, technique, and anything else you'd like to, in order help me become a better driver and to ultimately help me get faster.

The lap times in this almost six minute video are as follows: 1.21.43 (partial), 1:21.45, 1:21.02, 1:21.00 (fastest lap), 1:21.19. I know that there are ways to improve my lap, but on that day and on those tires I was unable to do any better.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is purely a opinion and only from what I can see and comparing to my car which is purpose built.

You still are learning like you said, there for you still have to develop your style in that car.. you need to push its limits and let it hang out so you know how to drive it 7/10ths. some of the corners you turn in to soon and some good and some late.. consistency is key in road racing. also on the back straight you brake to early for me that is... but if you don't have the brakes to support it then don't push it. focus on driving and practice which will take time and track time.. get good brakes and brake cooling them some sticky tires and small suspension tweaks and go from there.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

T1 can be taken a lot faster, but your line is pretty good there. Into T4 you might delay the transition to the left just a couple of car lengths but not so much as to get into the off camber. It will allow you to roll on throttle much sooner in the apex of T4 as the car will be pointed more uphill. T6 (kink) you should be able to hold throttle just past it but don't be too quick off the throttle and jab brake because you will lighten the rear too much while car is pitching left. Into T8 (dead bear) you might consider planting left front on tar line keeping vehicle to the right until you are abeam the end of the blue bales - then turn into the apex and shoot for the track out. You should be rolling on throttle there before the apex. Generally, roll on throttle a little sooner most places while focusing way ahead at all times. Using the above I get 116's with C5Z and no aero.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
T1 can be taken a lot faster, but your line is pretty good there. Into T4 you might delay the transition to the left just a couple of car lengths but not so much as to get into the off camber. It will allow you to roll on throttle much sooner in the apex of T4 as the car will be pointed more uphill. T6 (kink) you should be able to hold throttle just past it but don't be too quick off the throttle and jab brake because you will lighten the rear too much while car is pitching left. Into T8 (dead bear) you might consider planting left front on tar line keeping vehicle to the right until you are abeam the end of the blue bales - then turn into the apex and shoot for the track out. You should be rolling on throttle there before the apex. Generally, roll on throttle a little sooner most places while focusing way ahead at all times. Using the above I get 116's with C5Z and no aero.
Arte knows this track as good as anyone. Faster through one, later braking into two, don't come off the throttle as much through four, smoother through 5-6-7, more turn in and harder throttle
out of eight, and later apex in ten. That should get you a couple of seconds. JMHO.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
some of the corners you turn in to soon and some good and some late.. consistency is key in road racing. also on the back straight you brake to early for me that is... but if you don't have the brakes to support it then don't push it. focus on driving and practice which will take time and track time.. get good brakes and brake cooling them some sticky tires and small suspension tweaks and go from there.
You make some valid points here; I appreciate it! One of the issues that I am trying to iron out with this Z06 is the fact that the car does not feel stable under hard braking. The back end gets loose and I feel as though I need to make slight correction and watch my steering inputs, in order to keep on track. Much more so than in my other Z06, a 2002 with stock suspension (save for C6 Z06 shocks). This red car, a 2001 with LG2 coilovers, T1 sways, and poly bushings feels more nervious under heavy braking. The car has Wilwood H pads and DBA4000 rotors front and rear. To provide more front bians, I plan to swap the rear rotors to stockers and use XP8 pads. I am also considering adding more camber up front, as I am running -2.2deg front and -1.5deg rear at the moment. Corner balance and alignment was done by Danny Popp. I will also run new R888 (heat cycled) next time I go out. The front tires in the video had very little grip under braking and understeered like crazy in turn 7. I also didn't seem to feel them for limits of traction as well as other tires I ran there on the silver car.

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Excellent write up and exactly what I was looking for. I will try to implement as many of these suggestions as I can next time I go to Putnam. Hopefully, the car will feel more neutral under braking and will have more grip on the new r-comps. I suppose that it is normal to find the last few seconds the most difficult to eliminate on consistent basis. Getting on the gas earlier will also be my goal for the next time out. But, learning and getting faster and smoother is why I like going to the track. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Arte knows this track as good as anyone. Faster through one, later braking into two, don't come off the throttle as much through four, smoother through 5-6-7, more turn in and harder throttle
out of eight, and later apex in ten. That should get you a couple of seconds. JMHO.
Turn 1 is certainly my biggest challenge, mentally. I have gone off there in this car three times, once due to rear wheel lockup when EBCM failed, once when I ran out of talent, and the other time due to ice-mode coming on out of the blue. I am hoping that more front bias will improve my confidence. Due to the bumpy surface at T1, and my stiff coilovers, I have had ABS come on randomly in the 01 Z06. I know that some guys on R6s enter that turn at 100mph - which to me at this moment seems physically impossible. I tried 85-90mph and it worked, but my shorts were full. Turn one is the least enjoyable turn for me at Putnam, and I hope that this sentiment will one day change. I am also cautious on turns 9-10 and I will try to work on a better line through there too. Downshifting to 2nd made a big difference in T7 exit for me. With stickier R888, I should be able to carry more speed through there too. 4-5-6 are very cool, and I have noticed that the better drivers almost never straighten their wheel through the kink - looks like one smooth turn with hardly any additional inputs. I will strive for that and find that watching my track videos after I come home offer me an unbiased perspective on how I did. But it is not easy for me to find where I can improve, until someone points it out

Once again, much appreciate y'all's input and constructive criticism. I have a lot to work on, but it will be my motivation for coming back to the track. Even small improvements make me feel great. And even though my times are not blistering fast, I have been in faster cars with drivers who were quite a bit slower than myself, yet they had more track experience. So... I still feel satisfied about my progress; hope to continue advancing, especially, if I heed the advice given above.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 AM
fast jackson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tytek
Below is a video of a few laps from my trip to Putnam Park a couple of weeks ago. I am still learning this car (only 2nd time in it at the track), and I obviously need more seat time (not to mention talent). However, please critique my line, technique, and anything else you'd like to, in order help me become a better driver and to ultimately help me get faster.

The lap times in this almost six minute video are as follows: 1.21.43 (partial), 1:21.45, 1:21.02, 1:21.00 (fastest lap), 1:21.19. I know that there are ways to improve my lap, but on that day and on those tires I was unable to do any better.

Don't feel bad about turn 1, it took me a bit to gain the confidence thru there. Maybe another club day is in order?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fast jackson
Don't feel bad about turn 1, it took me a bit to gain the confidence thru there. Maybe another club day is in order?
Thanks Scott. Yeah, I talked to Chris about another club day, but family and work commitments may not allow me to come out again this season. There is still a glimmer of hope though.

Hopefully, you'll take me for a ride in your GS, so that I can experience those mid teen lap times after all.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Ride alongs are better than words because you can witness it work firsthand so you know exactly how it should feel when you're behind the wheel. You get your "aha!" moment before you even try it the new way.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

No doubt. I am trying to arrange for me shotgun time with Scott next time I am up at Putnam.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me get faster...

Quick Reply: Help me get faster...