Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1999 FRC Carbon Fiber SCCA/NASA aero build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:53 PM
NH4CN
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1999 FRC Carbon Fiber SCCA/NASA aero build thread

Hey everyone!
This is a build thread for my Carbon Fiber track aero build.

A little intro and background...

I'm currently a Pharmacy Technician, however I also make and sell carbon fiber components when I have free time. When I was 16 I bought a 2003 WRX and got into Autocrossing that. It was a blast and I ended up not doing too poorly my first season. (Took 4th overall out of 10 in STX. I missed 2 events due to my car being down, and did the entire season WITHOUT power steering. I was also running some terrible all seasons where everyone else was running StarSpecs or comparable tires.)

That car was fantastic, and I loved it, but I was ready to love up to something a little more challenging, capable, and rewarding. I sold it in February 2014 so I could begin the search.

August 2014, I found a 1999 Corvette FRC for sale with 70,000 miles. I've been wanting a Corvette for a few years now, so I decided to jump on it.

Name:  jx5BvFO.png
Views: 5
Size:  1.42 MB

Rumor has it that classes for autocross are being reworked, and the C5s might jump down to B "Street" from A "Stock".

My plans for the car are to run in ASR or BSR (depending on whether the classes change or not) in SCCA, and ST2 in NASA. Since aerodynamic mods aren't allowed in Stock classes (SCCA) I might actually end up running a higher class, as I don't want to remove everything every other weekend.

The plan for right now is as follows...
1.) Front Canards
2.) Rear wing/trunk lip
3.) Flat Sideskirts
4.) Front splitter
5.) Rear Diffuser*

*I might not do this one, because the axle back the previous owner put on is quite large, and doesn't leave me a lot of room to work.

With the introduction done, let's get into it!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM
NH4CN
5th Gear

First item on the list, the bumper canards.

I spent some time a few nights ago modeling up a rough draft to get a feel for the AoA, size, shape, etc on the car. Keep in mind as you look through these pictures, these are just quick mock ups and do not represent what the final product will look like. The lines are rough and the fit is a little off, but these aren't the templates I'll use. They are simply visual tools to try and work out the best way to mount on the front bumper.

Onto the pictures!

I made these at like 11:00 at night, so it was pretty dark, which also didn't help. Here are some pictures.

Mostly cut out and attached to bumper
Name:  KN9TIEx.png
Size:  1.76 MB

I did most of the shaping that night, but looked at the again in the morning when there was more light and adjusted a little more

Daytime pics:
Name:  GkI6v4S.png
Views: 4
Size:  1.80 MB

Name:  WydnbRl.png
Views: 4
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  VARicD2.png
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  te9v8a0.png
Views: 3
Size:  1.84 MB

As you can see, the shaping is slightly off, but these aren't meant to be perfect.

When I go to make the real deal, I'm going to take a mold of the bumper, so that I have an exact replica to work off of and construct from there.

I'm actually pretty impressed with how subtly aggressive they ended up being, even as a crappy mock up. It makes me super excited to get the nice set on so that I can do some smoke testing.

That's all I have for now, I'll update this as I go. Going to try and get the bumper molding done by this weekend, finished product should be done around middle of next week/next weekend.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a dirty Vette....
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do all those aero mods you will be in at least XP, if not EM. Definitely not B-Street! If you are serious about competing in autocross I would make the aero stuff easily removable, otherwise you will not be competitive at all. Just aero does not a racecar make! I would get the suspension working well first, at least a front sway bar, shocks, and tires. With those things you will be competitive in B Street. You can keep working on the aero stuff as a side project but I wouldn't do anything permanent.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 PM
NH4CN
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Matt_27
If you do all those aero mods you will be in at least XP, if not EM. Definitely not B-Street! If you are serious about competing in autocross I would make the aero stuff easily removable, otherwise you will not be competitive at all. Just aero does not a racecar make! I would get the suspension working well first, at least a front sway bar, shocks, and tires. With those things you will be competitive in B Street. You can keep working on the aero stuff as a side project but I wouldn't do anything permanent.
That's the plan. This is mostly going to be for NASA, but I plan on making it removable for SCCA. I haven't quite decided whether or not I want to run BS or ASR. I have all off-season to think about it. As of right now I'm leaning more towards BS.

Suspension is in the works. I'm reading a lot on it before I pull the trigger, as I want to set the car up well.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NH4CN
That's the plan. This is mostly going to be for NASA, but I plan on making it removable for SCCA. I haven't quite decided whether or not I want to run BS or ASR. I have all off-season to think about it. As of right now I'm leaning more towards BS.

Suspension is in the works. I'm reading a lot on it before I pull the trigger, as I want to set the car up well.

Thanks for the kind words
The decision will be easy, in 2015 the only R based Street (Stock) class is SSR, the rest are all on street rubber.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1999 FRC Carbon Fiber SCCA/NASA aero build thread

Quick Reply: My 1999 FRC Carbon Fiber SCCA/NASA aero build thread