Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you Rick and Spring Mountain team...I am hooked!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Thank you Rick and Spring Mountain team...I am hooked!

I would like to start racing. I have no idea where to even start but I will figure it out like everyone does I suppose.

Greatest group of guys ever. I can't say enough positive things about them. I have 2-3 hours of go pro footage to sort through to find my actual laps where I was able to go a whole lap without traffic, but here is a couple.

I think I did pretty well considering I have never stepped foot on a racetrack before Monday.

Since I am now addicted I am prepping myself for an expensive hobby. My wife is 100% behind it so that will helpful.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM
PMBoxcar46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welvome to the club!!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

From one newb to another welcome! This is extremely fun and expensive. I'm done for the year because we just welcomed baby #1 to the world this week. Even though I won't be on the track again this year, I am on this forum everyday because there is so much to learn. Read through the c5 sticky topic on prepping a car for the track. There is a ton of useful content, so much that it's actually intimidating. The best thing for new folks like us seems to be seat time and humility.

The guys on here are very helpful and knowledgable.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Congrats on the baby! My boy turns 2 Oct 9th! It will change your life!

Yeah C5 was my goal. I was originally thinking a C5Z but after having driven the Z51 on a road race track I am 100% convinced I will be faster in a base trans that has a closer 3-4.

My C5Z is a beast compared to the stock Z51 and runs the 1/4 way faster and it is only bolt ons.

I would like to have a little more mid range torque on my Z (road racing and drag racing are WAY different) so I would probably swap the stock cam for something giving me a little more grunt in the middle and the gearing would be better if the rpm drop wasn't as bad from 3-4.

On that track with a C5 base I would probably only shift to 4th on the back straight since the motor power is so much higher in the rpm range.

Now the hard part will be making that C5 turn and stop like my C7 because MAN that car is something else in those categories.

I want to race it too and it looks like rule restrictions might play a big factor on what I do to the car. That will be my first goal is to research classes before modding the car.

I just need to get back on the track. It was really depressing exiting that last time and knowing I couldn't run anymore. Changed my life forever. I have to get back out there!

I started looking at the C5 sticky and it is a ton of good info. Brakes, Z06 cooling ducts, wheels and tires would be 100% my first mods.

Then I can progress with the car as I mod it. Definitely on a track the car plays a key role but the driver is the most important piece and that takes seat time.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I suggest starting with HPDEs/track days before you consider a racing series. Speed Ventures and others offer fun, safe events on a number of tracks in California and Spring Mountain. Attend them and develop your skills before you dump a bunch of money into your car.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:26 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by boltvette
I suggest starting with HPDEs/track days before you consider a racing series. Speed Ventures and others offer fun, safe events on a number of tracks in California and Spring Mountain. Attend them and develop your skills before you dump a bunch of money into your car.
Good advice. That is what I was planning. Heel toe adds additional difficulty to a C5 that a C7 doesn't have to deal with.

I am looking for a C5 coupe as we speak. I still have my C5 Z wheels so I can run those with new tires.

Brake cooling ducts from a Z and some C6 Z51 sway bars and z06 shocks should be pretty cheap and get me a decent handling car.

Rick and team teaches smoothness and carrying momentum without smashing the brake pedal then gas so I may get away with stock brakes for a little while. We will see.

C7 brakes are amazin g so that may a be an upgrade at some point if they can be made to fit.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

you are screwed now! gets expensive once ya get hooked!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
you are screwed now! gets expensive once ya get hooked!
Yeah I saw their 1500 sq ft tent full 10 feet high with tires

Get notified of new replies

To Thank you Rick and Spring Mountain team...I am hooked!

Quick Reply: Thank you Rick and Spring Mountain team...I am hooked!