Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Electric brake controller

In the process of getting a trailer (Featherlite) to take the car to the track using an 07 Sierra. Need help on a reliable controller. Have reviewed various offerings but am really in the dark as to what I need. Any suggestions/recommendation are appreciated.

Gene
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corv
In the process of getting a trailer (Featherlite) to take the car to the track using an 07 Sierra. Need help on a reliable controller. Have reviewed various offerings but am really in the dark as to what I need. Any suggestions/recommendation are appreciated.
I have been using the Reese 74378 (
Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74378 Pilot Brake Controller: Automotive Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74378 Pilot Brake Controller: Automotive
) on 3 trucks for years now (open and enclosed trailers). Very reliable, I like the voltage display and the simple adjustment (you'll need different voltage for empty or loaded trailer).
Installation is very easy if you buy the matching harness (
Amazon.com: Reese 22284 Brake Control Wiring Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: Reese 22284 Brake Control Wiring Adapter: Automotive
for an 05 Sierra, check for 07) but you can also wire it yourself (did that on a 2010 Sierra and a 55 GMC!), they give you the schematics. Hard to beat for the price.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will find most folks using an liking the Tekonsha Prodigy but you won't get one for the price of that Reese. I've had the Prodigy since 2006 with no problems. Very smooth brake application. The dealer that installed it for me said the cheeper ones were jerky.

Amazon.com: Tekonsha Engineering 90885 Prodigy Brake Control: Automotive Amazon.com: Tekonsha Engineering 90885 Prodigy Brake Control: Automotive
Old 09-26-2014, 04:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would also highly recommend the Prodigy controller. I had one on my '99 Silverado and worked great with my old car trailer.

As far as adjustment, that's a requirement for any electronic controller. The "Trailer Gain" value is set based on trailer weight.

Note that at some point, GM did away with the provided connector under the dash for a controller harness. Tekonsha has a number of harnesses that area direct plug and play for their controllers. When GM did away with the connector, you now have to splice wires
Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 PM
71corv
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks to all for the info. Will look into these units.

Gene
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
As far as adjustment, that's a requirement for any electronic controller. The "Trailer Gain" value is set based on trailer weight.
Absolutely. A controller with a display of the voltage will allow you to adjust more accurately and easily. Some controllers just have a couple of lights from green to red to show intensity but it's a real pain to use, avoid that design.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 PM
71corv
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the info.

Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Electric brake controller

Quick Reply: Electric brake controller