Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for an HPDE Vette, have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM
nuclearnick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an HPDE Vette, have questions...

Hello all. First post to Corvetteforum, and looking for a little guidance from experienced track-day drivers. I currently track a late model Mustang GT, and I'm looking to upgrade to a C6 Vette for increased performance potential. I would prefer a Z06 or a Grand Sport, but my budget may limit me to an '05-'07 LS2 model. Since the LS2 is a wet sump sump engine, I have some concerns. I understand that above 1.2Gs, the wet sump is inadequate. Can a lightly-modified, well-driven C6 come close to 1.2Gs on good street tires (like BFG Rivals or Bridgestone RE-11s)? Or is this only achievable with much stickier tires (slicks)?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

-Nick
Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
PMBoxcar46
Instructor

Nick
Welcome... you will not get to those #s with that rubbrer. You can find ALOT of good info here.Look in the road racing section stickies for information. Best advice on cars-engine choices ect.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Is3 and dot race rubber is the problem. Gs and z06 have drysumps so ok. Ls2 and ls6 are very close performancewise.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:28 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearnick
Hello all. First post to Corvetteforum, and looking for a little guidance from experienced track-day drivers. I currently track a late model Mustang GT, and I'm looking to upgrade to a C6 Vette for increased performance potential. I would prefer a Z06 or a Grand Sport, but my budget may limit me to an '05-'07 LS2 model. Since the LS2 is a wet sump sump engine, I have some concerns. I understand that above 1.2Gs, the wet sump is inadequate. Can a lightly-modified, well-driven C6 come close to 1.2Gs on good street tires (like BFG Rivals or Bridgestone RE-11s)? Or is this only achievable with much stickier tires (slicks)?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

-Nick
My C5Z does 1.2 on RE-11's. I doubt you'll have an issue unless you run it somewhere like Daytona, but I'll let others chime in on that.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

C5Z is probably better than an C6 with either the LS2 or 3. You can get into one for a little less money, add Ron Davis Racing Radiator with Engine Oil Cooler, Diff and tranny cooling, upgrade the brakes, add a cam and be competitive with the C6Zs. The LS6 is a strong HPDE engine that can take a beating and just keep coming back for more beatings. As long as you don't get a higher mile babied car the engine should hold up fine.

Bill
Old 09-27-2014, 08:35 AM
nuclearnick
Advanced

All good advice. Thank you.
Bill: You're from Endicott? I grew up in Kirkwood. Small world....
Old 09-27-2014, 09:05 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5Z is the easy-button HPDE car. With the money you save by not going the C6 route, you can fix the track-specific deficiencies easily as Bill mentioned.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:35 AM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about the tires you suggested but my 2011 Z06 would develop 1.2 Gs in some corners in stock configuration with the Michelin PS2s the factory put on. The car is still stock and I've switched to Michelin Cup tires. It's a bit easier, and more expensive, to corner at 1.2 now but no oiling issues and you don't have to spend money on any other modifications. The new Michelin Super Sport tires are even better than the PS2s.

Get notified of new replies

To Shopping for an HPDE Vette, have questions...

Quick Reply: Shopping for an HPDE Vette, have questions...