Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
psft_alum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?

Greetings all,
I have decided to no longer used my 2008 C6 Z06 for HPDE's and will now use it only on the street. I am considering the purchase of a 2008 or newer C6 base coupe as a replacement. I thought about the C5's but my familiarity and preference is with the C6.
Here is my reasoning (please feel free to critique):
1) base C6 has steel frame which is much easier to cage than the C6Z aluminum one
2) LS3 much cheaper to replace than LS7
3) $30k of less for a 2008 or newer C6 base Coupe with less than 50k miles

Input on these questions would be much appreciated:
1) would a Grand Sport be a better choice for about $5k more
2) do Z06 wheels OEM fit the GrandSport
3) what are 3 best track tires (slicks) for the C6 base coupe
4) I used Hoosier R6's on my Z, do they make sizes that fit the C6 Base coupe
5) what insurance do I need, theft, liability, etc, besides track day insurance

Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by psft_alum
Greetings all,
I have decided to no longer used my 2008 C6 Z06 for HPDE's and will now use it only on the street. I am considering the purchase of a 2008 or newer C6 base coupe as a replacement. I thought about the C5's but my familiarity and preference is with the C6.
Here is my reasoning (please feel free to critique):
1) base C6 has steel frame which is much easier to cage than the C6Z aluminum one
2) LS3 much cheaper to replace than LS7
3) $30k of less for a 2008 or newer C6 base Coupe with less than 50k miles

Input on these questions would be much appreciated:
1) would a Grand Sport be a better choice for about $5k more
2) do Z06 wheels OEM fit the GrandSport
3) what are 3 best track tires (slicks) for the C6 base coupe
4) I used Hoosier R6's on my Z, do they make sizes that fit the C6 Base coupe
5) what insurance do I need, theft, liability, etc, besides track day insurance

Thanks in advance
The GS is definitely the superior performing track car, though honestly $5k more may be wishful thinking, they were about $10k more when I bought mine. The Z06 wheels and tires will fit the GS, the have the same brakes as well. I can't help you as far as slicks goes, I would imagine the base C6 would have the same or better tire availability than the GS/Z06 though.

There's one reason to consider the base over the GS as a track car - economics. If you've got the extra cash to operate it and buy it it's no big deal, but the GS has higher operating costs. Tires and brakes are both significantly more expensive for the widebody than the standard body cars. If the operating costs aren't a concern, go widebody.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:10 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to play Devils advocate on this situation. Are you going to sell the Z06 ? If not the additional car is a huge expense. You will have to spend substantial $ to bring the coupe up to anywhere near the performance level you got from the Z. Seems better deal to me to just make the safety and other mods you want to the Z and run it. The Z is a much better base car to start with for track use.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems like the wrong direction, the Z with the dry sump, better brakes and extra cooling is a better track car? Plus you know what you are starting with and not someone else's problems.

The base coupe is a more comfortable street/touring car, especially with F55 suspension, and gets 30mpg on the highway.

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 09-27-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM
psft_alum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I'm going to play Devils advocate on this situation. Are you going to sell the Z06 ? If not the additional car is a huge expense. You will have to spend substantial $ to bring the coupe up to anywhere near the performance level you got from the Z. Seems better deal to me to just make the safety and other mods you want to the Z and run it. The Z is a much better base car to start with for track use.
I'm not selling the Z. The HPDE car I have in mind will be track only, have a cage, racing seats, fire supression, etc. If the worst happens and I wreck the "race car" these safety improvements will greatly increase the odds that I walk away and I will still have the Z to drive on the street.

The Z is amazing on the track but I can live with well sorted, safer coupe.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion is get a track spec c5 coupe or z06. The motors are more reliable without a dry sump. The abs is less intrusive. They're also a lot cheaper. It seems late model c5 coupes already setup for hpde cost around 15k. It also won't sting nearly as bad if you plant it into a wall.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
My opinion is get a track spec c5 coupe or z06. The motors are more reliable without a dry sump. The abs is less intrusive. They're also a lot cheaper. It seems late model c5 coupes already setup for hpde cost around 15k. It also won't sting nearly as bad if you plant it into a wall.
This ^^

Buy a car already finished but if not C5Z06 > Base LS2 C6 (boom).

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:50 AM
ImHuntingWabbits
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this same math and ended up with a 2010 GS. But in all honesty its really only worth it if you need a dual purpose car.

If you want a dedicated track car, I would actually look for a prepped T1 or ST2 car. They'll already have all the work done, and you won't have to deal with the teething issues that the GS / base cars have (calipers, brake ducts, dampers or coilovers, and sway bars).

Plus, full cage and hopefully a cool suit setup

The GS takes really well to the same tires as the Z06. I run R888s because I drive to the track, but they'll take the same hoosier setup as a Z06 without issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Or buy one of these (ex ASA racer) for 17-25K and go faster for less operating cost and be safer.

LS1 powered, 400 HP plus to the wheels on pump gas, 2800# with driver

This is Trans Am 2 Champion Cameron Lawrence's ex ride (2012 V8 StockCar champ car)

lap times: Daytona 1:57 Sebring 2:14 Road Atlanta 1:29

Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

+1 on this...not that I'm biased (LOL..I am!)!

Originally Posted by bosco022
Or buy one of these (ex ASA racer) for 17-25K and go faster for less operating cost and be safer.

LS1 powered, 400 HP plus to the wheels on pump gas, 2800# with driver

This is Trans Am 2 Champion Cameron Lawrence's ex ride (2012 V8 StockCar champ car)

lap times: Daytona 1:57 Sebring 2:14 Road Atlanta 1:29

Old 09-29-2014, 12:43 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, if you don't want to drive the car on the street then there is no point in starting with a street car. I'd personally go for something much smaller and lighter, but those ASA cars are pretty sweet for the price.

If you must use a street car, buy one that's already been converted to race in SCCA/NASA for the same price as a regular C6 street car.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?

Quick Reply: Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?