Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Technique: If NOT Heel Toe

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Also, I'll be alone at the track and I'm sure there's a bunch of good guys but I may not feel comfortable leaving my stuff unattended..
Josh,

If you introduce yourself as a newbie you'll not be alone more than 30 seconds. Autocross and DEs are some of the friendliest groups you'll meet.

Have fun!
Mike
Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by t.renz791
1. Always, ALWAYS perform your downshift before your turn, or do not downshift at all.....
I know of a turn where this is not the case, and there may be others. Never downshift T1 Putnam Park. If you can't heel/toe then concentrate on carrying your speed into the turn and then downshift just before T2. There are probably other tracks, also.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

What RPM are you guys blipping the throttle to?

say for example braking from 100 to 50 mph, 4 to 3 downshift?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
What RPM are you guys blipping the throttle to?

say for example braking from 100 to 50 mph, 4 to 3 downshift?
It's more of a feel thing, I doubt anyone looks at their tach when they downshift. For me, it's either a big blip or a little blip.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:40 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I know of a turn where this is not the case, and there may be others. Never downshift T1 Putnam Park. If you can't heel/toe then concentrate on carrying your speed into the turn and then downshift just before T2. There are probably other tracks, also.
Correct Artie!!

Run braking down into the corner, release the brake, then shift, if you have to.

This is for all corners.

Jim M.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I've been known to downshift mid-corner, it's part of my routine in those areas where you just lift instead of brake. Get it down quick enough so you can throttle steer in and then back out.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jtmck
Correct Artie!!

Run braking down into the corner, release the brake, then shift, if you have to.

This is for all corners.

Jim M.
I know it works very well for you, too. Not being much of a left foot braker I don't know if it would hold true for all. However, as you know, I prefer a different downshift with brake/blip before (heel/toe). I have discovered that left foot braking does require the correct pedal, though; clutch must not be confused for brake.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

First HPDE done and I'm beat. I ended up H/T... didn't see another way unless clutch out with no rev match. Only down shifted once though. Pushed it more than I anticipated because of a great instructor.

First instructor was cool, but just gave praise. The second told me exactly what/when to do... learned so much and instilled confidence. He did want me right on front cars ***, which was a little too aggressive for me on day 1.

Awesome time
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

.....He did want me right on front cars ***, which was a little too aggressive for me on day 1.

Awesome time
Something you do get used to. One has to present themselves to the car in front. I usually recommend a sweep from right to left rear quarter panel within a few feet in order to give the instructor in front car a good view as well as the driver. Then, back off, but not too much, until appropriate place to pass.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

He did want me right on front cars ***, which was a little too aggressive for me on day 1.

Awesome time
Yea, the best way to get confidence here is to ride with an Advanced driver (perhaps your instructor in his/her car). If you don't learn this you'll never get a point by. The front car will always think they're faster because you are slipping back.
Day 1,,, Day 2,,, Day 3,,,, all will seem like EVERYTHING is going really fast. You'll get used to it.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Thought I was pushing hard, but instructor wanted me feet away... I'll get there. It was a beginner group with some people braking at odd times. They say its not racing, but its very close... everyone's out to beat whoever's in front (except the miatas who are trying not to get run over, jk).

I did get ride time with some fast guys... 1 was 500whp c6GS on slicks who was 9sec faster than me (1.2mi track). The Gs were unbelievable.

I could see street tires being more fun than stickier options (slidey factor), but the competition aspect has me already thinking about upgrading after a few more track days. Made a deal on 2nd set of wheels today... oh boy.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Well, Josh, now at least you know where you'll invest your retirement money! j/k

Glad you had a great time!

Mike
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
I disagree.
You are still slowing the car down almost to the apex.
Does anyone else not heel and toe?
Does anyone else left foot brake?
Jim
I don't heel and toe. My pedals aren't setup for it and I'm not good at it. In the cars I have driven that don't require a clutch (my original automatic and the ASA cars with clutchless shifts) I did left foot brake. I find left foot braking to be the best if you can do it, but it does take some time to train your left foot so you can modulate the pedal instead of just mashing it.

My normal method is to brake, start to turn, shift, start adding power. At most of the tracks I run, I only have to shift out of 3rd for the long straights, so I am only shifting 2-4 times per lap. Shifting in the middle of the turn can cause the car to get loose if you don't rev match well, but the same can be said about heel/toe under braking so I don't see one being worse than the other.

In one of the books I'm reading, "Think Fast", the author specifically discourages down shifting before getting the car slowed down. This is because all that does it over rev the engine and put undo stress on the drivetrain. Brakes are cheaper than engines, transmissions, and diffs, and brakes do a better job of stopping the car anyway.

Here is one of my videos showing my technique. Sorry, it's a long video for one downshift per lap. However, I start out behind a number of cars, so my pace is lower and I'm not pushing as hard during the shift. As the session goes on and I get faster, you can see the shift and the associated rear end twitch gets more noticable.

Ken

Quick Reply: Driving Technique: If NOT Heel Toe