Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day brake advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
I would get 3 to 5 track days from a set depending on session length, track etc.

Bill Dearborn brings up a good point about pad taper. If you want to get the max wear out of the pads you'll need to switch them up during an event.

If you're just starting out in this hobby you'll want to step up to a better pad for now, but before pulling the trigger on a big brake kit, get some more seat time. Not to change the subject, but if you have the stock seats in your C5, spend you dollars for now on a good seat, harness and hans. Just my .02
I was wondering. When I put in an aftermarket racing seat what happens with the wiring that is now unplugged? Will it cause problems?

Thanks to all for your help on this. Here's what I've decided to do. New slotted rotors from TPS motorsports. Great price for 4 rotors. Carbotech xp2 and xp10. Motul rbf600. DRM stainless pistons.
Thanks again for all your help
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mpryan
I was wondering. When I put in an aftermarket racing seat what happens with the wiring that is now unplugged? Will it cause problems?

Thanks to all for your help on this. Here's what I've decided to do. New slotted rotors from TPS motorsports. Great price for 4 rotors. Carbotech xp2 and xp10. Motul rbf600. DRM stainless pistons.
My plug just sits under my new seat, no problems that I have noticed. I have some titanium heat shields from Hardbrakes that helped a lot to protect the brake fluid, but I am no longer using them now that I upgraded to the LG/Wilwood kit up front. Will give a great price if you are interested.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mpryan

You're quite welcome. I just left the wires in place and have no issues. Depending on what seat mounts you choose (I have fixed aluminum) you may need to slightly reposition one of the AH sensors located on the floor on the passenger side. But that's no big deal either, just need to move it an inch or so.

Have fun and keep the shiny side up
Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM
V3tt3l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to switch from XR2's to oem-grade pads in a pinch during a weekend. I learned more in those sessions with oem pads that I ever could have with the XR2's. The XR2's were way too much brake for my skill level and I was using them as a safety net of sorts to save my *** if I messed up. By the last session, I was going faster, smoother, with the oem's than the XR2s.

Your issue is burning up the oems, so you absolutely should upgrade pads before a BBK however, the point of my little story is to make you aware it is possible to over-brake the car with pads alone. I'm actually considering switching from my XP10's to Hawk HP+ for the next event because the HP+ are probably more appropriate than XP10's for my skill.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by V3tt3l
I had to switch from XR2's to oem-grade pads in a pinch during a weekend. I learned more in those sessions with oem pads that I ever could have with the XR2's. The XR2's were way too much brake for my skill level and I was using them as a safety net of sorts to save my *** if I messed up. By the last session, I was going faster, smoother, with the oem's than the XR2s.

Your issue is burning up the oems, so you absolutely should upgrade pads before a BBK however, the point of my little story is to make you aware it is possible to over-brake the car with pads alone. I'm actually considering switching from my XP10's to Hawk HP+ for the next event because the HP+ are probably more appropriate than XP10's for my skill.
If you are using same rotor go XP8. Hawk and Carbotech compounds are not compatible at all. I don't think the HP+ will clean the XP10 material of the rotor. All Carbotech compounds are compatible so, all you would need to do is swap pads and go. If you decide HP+ clean the rotor up before you put them on, that's if you are using the existing rotor.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM
V3tt3l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
If you are using same rotor go XP8. Hawk and Carbotech compounds are not compatible at all. I don't think the HP+ will clean the XP10 material of the rotor. All Carbotech compounds are compatible so, all you would need to do is swap pads and go. If you decide HP+ clean the rotor up before you put them on, that's if you are using the existing rotor.
GOOD TO KNOW! Thanks for your advice and suggestion. HP+ was suggested to me at the track this weekend so I am just regurgitating what I was told - so thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I am under the (admittedly unsupported) impression that XP8's are on the "soft" side for C5's because of the weight of the car. Would you mind edifying my understanding?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by V3tt3l
GOOD TO KNOW! Thanks for your advice and suggestion. HP+ was suggested to me at the track this weekend so I am just regurgitating what I was told - so thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I am under the (admittedly unsupported) impression that XP8's are on the "soft" side for C5's because of the weight of the car. Would you mind edifying my understanding?
XP8 is fine for the C5. XP8 in no means is soft it just will ease that initial bite of the XP10 that was probably upsetting your car.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Quick Reply: Track day brake advice