Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day brake advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Track day brake advice

Hi. I have a C5 that I take to track days. Sofar I've changed the fluid to Motul rbf 600, Hawk HPS pads and brake ducts. This setup isent up to task and I'm looking to upgrade. I've been thinking of a couple set ups. Upgrade pads and rotors on stock setup or Wilwood 6 piston calipers, 2 piece rotors in the front and moving the front brakes to the rear. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by mpryan; 10-13-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Reword
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Some more details as to what not up to task means to you would help.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tires are you using?

HPS is a street pad, and I would use something with a higher temperature range for the track: HP+, HT10, DTC, etc. You might find that you can get the braking you need from the stock calipers.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:58 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Lots of fade. Just dosent stop as good as it should
I'm running Nitto NT05
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mpryan
Lots of fade. Just dosent stop as good as it should
I'm running Nitto NT05
I agree with Hockie. HPS is a street pad. I run Carbotechs but I did use a set of Hawk DTC 70s for a weekend event. I ran street tires and had no brake fade.

Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 in the rear is a popular combination and you shouldn't have fade issues. However I did glaze a set during a prolonged session after switching to R compound tires.

I've run DBA 4000 series one piece rotors and found them to work well and last reasonably well.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Hi. I have a C5 that I take to track days. Sofar I've changed the fluid to Motul rbf 600, Hawk HPS pads and brake ducts. This setup isent up to task and I'm looking to upgrade. I've been thinking of a couple set ups. Upgrade pads and rotors on stock setup or Wilwood 6 piston calipers, 2 piece rotors in the front and moving the front brakes to the rear. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Your main problem, at this point, is the pads. Even HP+ is not a TRACK pad. There are a lot of good track pads to move to b4 you do anything else.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I started with HP+ pads, then moved up to Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 back. I was also running NT-05 tires. That setup stopped all the brake fade, but my tires would become greasy after 3-4 laps from all the heat, so I moved up to NT-01 tires. At that point the pads were wearing out fast (fronts would last 1-2 weekends of HPDE). That's when I went to the LG/Wilwood setup up front and started running Carbotech RP2s (endurance pads). The fronts now last ~4-5 weekends and the back pads 2-3. I run Napa rotors. The biggest factor I have noticed in rotor longevity is proper bedding up front, and making sure you slowly heat them up and cool them down. Fast temp changes kill rotors.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by spdislife
I agree with Hockie. HPS is a street pad. I run Carbotechs but I did use a set of Hawk DTC 70s for a weekend event. I ran street tires and had no brake fade.

Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 in the rear is a popular combination and you shouldn't have fade issues. However I did glaze a set during a prolonged session after switching to R compound tires.

I've run DBA 4000 series one piece rotors and found them to work well and last reasonably well.
That Carbotech combination is one I was considering. How do they wear?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Pads will get you better performance but they won't improve the stock caliper's tendency to taper the pads which results in a long brake pedal or fix the lack of rotor mass endemic to the stock brake system. Selection of a good aftermarket caliper/rotor setup can reduce consumable costs as well as improve braking consistency from lap to lap over and over again.

Bill
Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

That Carbotech combination is one I was considering. How do they wear?
I would get 3 to 5 track days from a set depending on session length, track etc.

Bill Dearborn brings up a good point about pad taper. If you want to get the max wear out of the pads you'll need to switch them up during an event.

If you're just starting out in this hobby you'll want to step up to a better pad for now, but before pulling the trigger on a big brake kit, get some more seat time. Not to change the subject, but if you have the stock seats in your C5, spend you dollars for now on a good seat, harness and hans. Just my .02
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Interested in this topic after my first track day with stoptech and street tires. 4 20min sessions they were very consistent (at least in my feel). Was hitting ABS much of the time with what I understand were good lap times. I haven't pulled them yet to eval though. They seemed fine for me, at least until i realize they aren't.

Are the race pads for quicker braking, longer lasting? Don't think I had any fade, although never experienced it before. The track guys did recommend carbotech 12s and stated no prob for duel street/track.

It was a short track though... 1.25mi, 100mph max speed.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 PM
mpryan
Instructor

[QUOTE=spdislife;1588036931]I would get 3 to 5 track days from a set depending on session length, track etc.

Bill Dearborn brings up a good point about pad taper. If you want to get the max wear out of the pads you'll need to switch them up during an event.

If you're just starting out in this hobby you'll want to step up to a better pad for now, but before pulling the trigger on a big brake kit, get some more seat time. Not to change the subject, but if you have the stock seats in your C5, spend you dollars for now on a good seat, harness and hans. Just my .

Thanks for the info spdislife. I've got the harness. It was my first upgrade and I've been hunting for a seat.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Your pads were the issue. HPS are not in any way track worthy. If you are looking for a pad that can do some dual purpose use, then what I recommend/use for that are either Ferodo DS2500's or EBD Yellowstuff, with the nod to the Ferodo's. I use both on my stuff, Ferodo's on my FRC, Yellow's on my C6Z. If there were DS2500's for the C6Z I'd use those instead.

Having said that, those are not race pads either. But if you are running a track not super hard on brakes the above pads will work for you.

I'd strongly recommend a pad upgrade, to something more appropriate for the use before tossing a lot of $$ at more than maybe you need at the moment. I mean I have Stoptech, and Brembo and Wilwood, etc... but my recommendation would be to better pads first. I know you tried to do that, but a lot of misinformation has folks buying things like HPS for track days, when they are not up to scratch.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Sam - I coached a novice recently at Watkins Glen. C5Z with Continental DW tires (which are a far better tire than NT05) and EBC Yellowstuff pads. He was one of the fastest guys in the group and I have to say I was consistently impressed with the stopping power of those pads. WGI is high speed with several hard brake zones and the pads really held up well.

Pads, fluid and cooling - by the time you need anything more than that you will be the one answering questions on forums rather than asking.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

With your tire I would run XP10 front and XP8 you will get better wear with this setup. I will be more than happy to set you up with some Carbotech pads. Give me a call at 216-780-8825.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Interested in this topic after my first track day with stoptech and street tires. 4 20min sessions they were very consistent (at least in my feel). Was hitting ABS much of the time with what I understand were good lap times. I haven't pulled them yet to eval though. They seemed fine for me, at least until i realize they aren't.

Are the race pads for quicker braking, longer lasting? Don't think I had any fade, although never experienced it before. The track guys did recommend carbotech 12s and stated no prob for duel street/track.

It was a short track though... 1.25mi, 100mph max speed.
You will want XP10 also.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Raybestos ST43 pads are amazing and last a LONG time (30-40+ hours) I've also had good luck with simply upgrading to C6 base calipers with DRM SS pistons, these calipers have a stronger 'backbone' than the C5's, and the SS pistons transfer less pad heat to the caliper, both of which help to reduce spreading and taper. It's a simple and cost effective upgrade set that's still fairly streetable, though the pads and rotors will last longer if you switch back to street pads when you get home from the track.

Also, I'm not a fan of the NT05's, but they get a worse rep than they deserve because they get really greasy-feeling when too much hot pressure builds. Double-check your pressure when they're hot, I think it should be in the mid-30's for best performance but you'll need to verify that.

Get notified of new replies

To Track day brake advice

Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 PM
V3tt3l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 coupe that I've done 4 track weekends with. I have oem calipers, motul 600, SS lines, Carbotech XP10 pads. I haven't had fad ONCE. I'd suggest upgrading pads before you drop several K$ upgrading to brakes you don't need just yet.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by V3tt3l
I have an 04 coupe that I've done 4 track weekends with. I have oem calipers, motul 600, SS lines, Carbotech XP10 pads. I haven't had fad ONCE. I'd suggest upgrading pads before you drop several K$ upgrading to brakes you don't need just yet.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP12™

Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 1850°F+ (121°C to 1010°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech™ release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Pads will get you better performance but they won't improve the stock caliper's tendency to taper the pads which results in a long brake pedal or fix the lack of rotor mass endemic to the stock brake system. Selection of a good aftermarket caliper/rotor setup can reduce consumable costs as well as improve braking consistency from lap to lap over and over again.

Bill
But still trying to crack open the wallet far enough for a new set of wheels along with the calipers and rotors. Someday... Along with a great moth exodus .

Quick Reply: Track day brake advice