Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire choice - wet tracks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Tire choice - wet tracks

I am new to HPDE events, now with 3 under my belt and progressing well. So far, I remain on street tires, for my 1993 LT1 Corvette. For my Spring events, I plan to use something like a Nitto NT05 or Continental DW, for normal dry days.

I have extra wheels and am willing to maintain multiple tire sets for appropriate safety and flexibility to meet track conditions.

So the question is this: for wet track days, do specific "wets" such as Hoosier wet H2O tires provide any distinct advantage over good quality all weather street tires?

Recommendations for wet weather tires will be appreciated. My wet choice need not be street able, as I will be trailering to and from.

Last edited by emptnest; 10-14-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The Firestone Wide Oval is a great wet weather tire. They are great in deep water.

Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Racing wets are expensive, have limited use and wear quickly, especially on a drying track. Most track rats don't even have them. The Continental DW is an excellent street tire for use in the wet, amongst the best and way, way better than the NT05. Personally I'd get the DWs are your street/wet tire and trailer a stickier set to the track for your dry track tires.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Firestone Wide Oval is a great wet weather tire. They are great in deep water.

Bill
Wide Ovals don't come in wide enough sizes for Corvettes anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Oval+Indy+500

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29

I'd go with the Conti DW for a street /wet track tire in proper C5/C6 sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Racing wets are expensive, have limited use and wear quickly, especially on a drying track. Most track rats don't even have them. The Continental DW is an excellent street tire for use in the wet, amongst the best and way, way better than the NT05. Personally I'd get the DWs are your street/wet tire and trailer a stickier set to the track for your dry track tires.
Agreed. One thing to note with the DW's is to buy narrower than other tires or you'll lose feel on corner entry due to the soft sidewall. Basically, if you have 275/40 for the stock size, go with a 265/40 in the DW so that it has to stretch slightly when seating the bead. Narrower will help in the rain as well.

Last edited by LateBreak; 10-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Wide Ovals don't come in wide enough sizes for Corvettes anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Oval+Indy+500

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29

I'd go with the Conti DW for a street /wet track tire in proper C5/C6 sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW
It has been a while since I had them on my C5Z. Sort of disappointing they don't even have sizes for C5Zs any more.

Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

We have wets for $80.00 each plus shipping. Call me anytime.

Todd
414-350-6303
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
We have wets for $80.00 each plus shipping. Call me anytime.

Todd
414-350-6303
^^ This.

They are like magic in the wet. I have a set of Hoosier wets and the grip is significantly better than street tires in the wet. They are cheap enough to not worry too much about wear.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

There is NO comparison between a street tire and a real wet racing tire. Once you learn to trust them you will be amazed at how much grip you can have in the wet. I raced my rookie season on street tires for wet races (we had 3-4 that season). It was like racing on marbles the whole race. The following season I sprung for Hoosier H2O's and lapped the field, winning my class.

That being said you should remain on street tires until you have a little more seat time before trying an R comp or slick as well as a real rain tire. Those Nitto NT-05's are pretty good both wrt and dry. I don't have any experience with the Conti's.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It has been a while since I had them on my C5Z. Sort of disappointing they don't even have sizes for C5Zs any more.

Bill
Too bad you did not have them this past week end at VIR Bill. Perhaps water wings would have been better...
My Z06 never moved once off the trailer.
vz
Old 10-16-2014, 03:07 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by von zoom
Too bad you did not have them this past week end at VIR Bill. Perhaps water wings would have been better...
My Z06 never moved once off the trailer.
vz
That is the correct place for the car at a really wet track ...
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by argonaut
While I have not yet zeroed in on tire choice, that is the general plan that I have in mind.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
There is NO comparison between a street tire and a real wet racing tire. Once you learn to trust them you will be amazed at how much grip you can have in the wet. I raced my rookie season on street tires for wet races (we had 3-4 that season). It was like racing on marbles the whole race. The following season I sprung for Hoosier H2O's and lapped the field, winning my class.

That being said you should remain on street tires until you have a little more seat time before trying an R comp or slick as well as a real rain tire. Those Nitto NT-05's are pretty good both wrt and dry. I don't have any experience with the Conti's.
Agreed. I want to be confident in my improved skills before I move up to R comps. I will probably go with a more aggressive street tire (like the Conti DW or NT05) all next season. And I will coordinate brake pad upgrade with the tire upgrade when time comes. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:10 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
There is NO comparison between a street tire and a real wet racing tire.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Conti DW's are awesome in the wet. They aren't bad in the dry but not up to the speed of the newest and best Max and Extreme Performance tires. I run DW's on my Z06 for the street and those would also make your "rain" tires. Then you can concentrate on better dry tires.

FWIW, I love me R-comps. But you also need to figure out if and when they become worth it for your car and how you drive. If you run stock alignment I'd not recommend them simple for wear reasons and you won't get the best out of them. New street tires have come a long way, in fact they are as good as R-comps in many cases from less than 10 years ago.

Just some things to consider.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
FWIW, I love me R-comps. But you also need to figure out if and when they become worth it for your car and how you drive. If you run stock alignment I'd not recommend them simple for wear reasons and you won't get the best out of them. New street tires have come a long way, in fact they are as good as R-comps in many cases from less than 10 years ago.

Just some things to consider.
Agreed. With only one event remaining this Season, a track alignment is on my winter project list. Thanks for the tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire choice - wet tracks

Quick Reply: Tire choice - wet tracks