Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing joc bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's be clear, though. Unless you are planning significant track time and are an experienced driver, the preload caused by the endlinks is irrelevant.

They do all of the things mentioned above but there are thousands of 'vettes out there racing on OEM endlinks. My C6 is one of them.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:22 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

PotAto, PotAHto in a way.

Right you want to corner the car with bars disconnected, and then use the links to hook them back up without preload which will jack with your cornered weights. However, because that's what happens with preload, it is in many people's eyes parts of corner weighting.

Typically I use these links http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=30&ModelID=12 because they aren't a million bucks and have nice long studs and are more quiet than rod-ended/spherical bearing links. Some of those are just crappy $2 ends that rattle when you shake them, and lots of folks hate that noise.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
To eliminate preload you need at least one adjustable link on each sway bar. Install one end link (either stock or adjustable one set to stock length) on one side. Drive car back and forth a few times to settle suspension. Drive up on ramps or 4-post lift so that you can get to the other end of the bar to install the other link. You want the full weight of the car on the wheels. (If you really want to be accurate, have the driver's weight in the seat.) Adjust the length of the second link so that the bolt slides in easily. Torque everything down and you're done.
I highly suggest using 2 per bar and using a 1/2" spacer on both sides of the ball joint on each rod end(unless you use the rod ends that have a 1/4" spacer built in - then use a 1/4" spacer on the side facing the bar or mounting tab and a socket cap screw for the bolt as its narrow head should allow if good clearance to prevent binding) - the factory links are so short the bar will start loading up faster. Going with 2 adjustable endlinks allows longer travel on the bar before loading up.

I recently switched to the factory links until I get replacements in for my worn out adjustable endlinks, and immediately saw a drop in grip - both the front end and rear end started loading earlier through corners than with the adjustable. This reduced lateral acceleration about 11% on my car... (1.3g down to 1.16 through a test corner that I regularly use)

good luck!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
I recently switched to the factory links until I get replacements in for my worn out adjustable endlinks, and immediately saw a drop in grip - both the front end and rear end started loading earlier through corners than with the adjustable. This reduced lateral acceleration about 11% on my car... (1.3g down to 1.16 through a test corner that I regularly use)
And during this testing, you had the same tires, tire pressures, weather conditions, amount of rubber in the road, vehicle weight conditions, alignment, etc, such that it was an accurate A to B comparison, with ONLY the end links as a variable?

And you ran the corner in both directions and averaged the results? Because if you're implying that a preload in the bar (due to factory vs adjustable "zeroed" end links) caused less grip overall, then I would argue it would decrease grip in one direction and increase in another. One direction would start at a higher bar rate (due to preload) and the other direction would first unload, then begin to load the bar (effectively reducing effective bar rate).
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
And during this testing, you had the same tires, tire pressures, weather conditions, amount of rubber in the road, vehicle weight conditions, alignment, etc, such that it was an accurate A to B comparison, with ONLY the end links as a variable?

And you ran the corner in both directions and averaged the results? Because if you're implying that a preload in the bar (due to factory vs adjustable "zeroed" end links) caused less grip overall, then I would argue it would decrease grip in one direction and increase in another. One direction would start at a higher bar rate (due to preload) and the other direction would first unload, then begin to load the bar (effectively reducing effective bar rate).

The factory links made the bars feel stiffer. It was obvious before even looking at the numbers.

Both ends were switched to non adjustable links; the car was losing grip faster at both ends. However I first changed out the rear to non adjustable, tested and noticed more oversteer. Went to non adjustable up front which balanced it back out but front end grip was lost.

If you look at the stock swaybar endlinks when installed on a car thats level, the joints arent at 90 degree angles- the main body of the links isnt straight in line between the mounting tab on the a arm and the mount tab on the bar. It should all be at perfectly straight angles to maximize the amount of movement. When you limit the movement, the bar loads up faster and gives a higher rate sooner. This isnt an issue of one side vs the other - both links are at angles that will load them sooner. taking a left or right turn.

I spent a while thinking about the variables and kept testing it - pressures and temps... and no the variables werent all taken out of the equation (that would be impossible) but if I take the same turn at 1.25 to 1.3 gs for 6 to 8 months with one setup, then swap out the links and immediately notice the car's grip being reduced right after testing again, then look at the corner acceleration and see the lateral acceleration is consistently lower, then repeat that for a few weeks, Ive got a pretty solid idea of whats going on.

Even on initial turn-in the car would scrape the front valence more often with the adjustable as they allowed more movement, whereas the factory ones loaded the bar up enough where I stopped getting turn in scrape with the weight transfer...

I hope this clears things up a bit.

take it easy!

Last edited by el es tu; 10-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
PotAto, PotAHto in a way.

Right you want to corner the car with bars disconnected, and then use the links to hook them back up without preload which will jack with your cornered weights. However, because that's what happens with preload, it is in many people's eyes parts of corner weighting.

Typically I use these links http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=30&ModelID=12 because they aren't a million bucks and have nice long studs and are more quiet than rod-ended/spherical bearing links. Some of those are just crappy $2 ends that rattle when you shake them, and lots of folks hate that noise.
That's not a bad price. If I add up what I spent on QA1 heim's, nuts, bolts, spacers it's not much less.

I did not know of these when I changed all mine, the only ones I found were 2x that price.

Or cheap junk (yes I went thru a few of those).
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

So is there a problem with oem endlinks hitting the control arms with the Joc bars during bumps?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by V4kerker
c u in rearview if you have a base c6 you'll need to add spacers in the bushing bracket clamp so you don't compress them. The OEM clamps are made for the OEM rubber bushings. Love my JOC1 setup

OEM front sway bar bushing bracket is to small or needs washers to get the right pinch on bushing.
Are you using oem endlinks? Race?

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 10-22-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Are you using oem endlinks? Race?
using oem endlinks....?

Quick Reply: installing joc bars?