Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco Evo II US Seat Intall, not straight forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Sparco Evo II US Seat Intall, not straight forward

Picked one of these up for my C5Z06. Also have the planted base and sparco standard black steel side rails. Tried to get this in last night and it seems like I may have some fitment issues.

I ordered some Competition Steel black side rails last night to see if these help at all.

I will post as I go to try to help others out
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When I bought my Sparco Evo II Plus a few years back I originally ordered it with the Sparco bases. They did not line up in the least. I returned them and bought a Hardbar mount.

The original Sparco mounts would have sat the seat up too high as well.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you using sidemounts for wide seats? They will give you more side to side adjustment. I know planted has them and they worked on my C6 with those seats.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
When I bought my Sparco Evo II Plus a few years back I originally ordered it with the Sparco bases. They did not line up in the least. I returned them and bought a Hardbar mount.

The original Sparco mounts would have sat the seat up too high as well.
Jeremy,
I'm finding the holes between the "Planted" base and the Sparco Side mounts don't line up well. I put the seat in not mounted to the base and sat in it to try to find the location to set the seat at and what I found was that I was sitting high in the car.

Did your hardbar mounts mount directly to the floor and the seat? Or do they mount to a base then to the car?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
Are you using sidemounts for wide seats? They will give you more side to side adjustment. I know planted has them and they worked on my C6 with those seats.
Planted sells side mounts? These may work better together with the base I presume.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Planted sells side mounts? These may work better together with the base I presume.
Whatever the mount the Evo 2 US is going to be a very tight fit in the car. If you keep the center console, the seat will have to be almost all the way back otherwise it won't fit. Even in my race car, with no carpet or center console it is a tight fit. With the console and carpet I had no room left for the stock seatbelts (not an issue since I removed them).
I used a planted base and side mounts.
Some pics in this photo album: https://plus.google.com/photos/10690...87622846186225
Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Way back when I put a seat in my C5 I tried both cobra and sparco seats. Neither were accurate in terms of mounting hole location. I literally brought my hardbar rails to the store when I returned my cobra seat and lined them up to every seat they had which fit me. None worked. Biggest problem was the sides of the seats were not parallel to each other. The composite seats are pretty crappy when it comes to that aspect. I'm told racetech are done right, but I have never mounted one. I ended up giving up on the whole idea of a composite seat and went to an aluminum.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Jeremy,
I'm finding the holes between the "Planted" base and the Sparco Side mounts don't line up well. I put the seat in not mounted to the base and sat in it to try to find the location to set the seat at and what I found was that I was sitting high in the car.

Did your hardbar mounts mount directly to the floor and the seat? Or do they mount to a base then to the car?
That is the issue I had. I returned them.

I made a thread awhile back on how to make a Sparco Evo II seat fit in a C5 with seatbelts. You can see the Hardbar mounts in the pictures. They mount to the floor bolts with supplied extender bolts.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-how-to.html
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another advantage of good aluminum seats is they are less bulky so a wider seat can be used relative to a composite seat. Mine is a 17" model and there is room for bigger. This is the only photo I have:
Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol I am having the same problem with my racetech 4119wthr. Hardbar rails. I am taking out everything I can to fit it. I may post up some pics next week. I also have a 4009w going in the passenger seat.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

That is the issue I had. I returned them.

I made a thread awhile back on how to make a Sparco Evo II seat fit in a C5 with seatbelts. You can see the Hardbar mounts in the pictures. They mount to the floor bolts with supplied extender bolts.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-how-to.html
Thank you for sending this. The link, and everyone's posts, have been very helpful. Looks like I'll be returning my seat bases and side rails. I'm very happy for amazon prime in this situation, makes returns as easy as they should be.

I ordered one MTI rail set to try that out, at almost $400 these things better be awesome. I have inquired about a used set of hardbar rails, but haven't heard back yet, this could be my passenger side if it works out.

Looks like cutting the seat foam helps, makes me nervous since that is the land of no return on a $800 item. I looked at Sparco's site and it doesn't say whether the Evo II US has different dimensions than the older Evo II.

Thanks again, I will update when the new rails get here.

One other question, do I need to do anything with the plug ends (seat belt buckle, or the one coming out of the floor? Will not plugging these in mean I have an Airbag or seatbelt light?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I looked at Sparco's site and it doesn't say whether the Evo II US has different dimensions than the older Evo II.
Just an FYI, I wouldn't put too much faith in the Sparco dimensions. They might be okay for comparing seats, but, with my EVOs anyway, I found that several of the advertised dimensions differed from actuals.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by smellya
Lol I am having the same problem with my racetech 4119wthr. Hardbar rails. I am taking out everything I can to fit it. I may post up some pics next week. I also have a 4009w going in the passenger seat.
I just installed the 4119 seat in my car(C6Z) last week. It fit way better than I thought it would, with room to spare. It's mounted as low as it will go, bottom of the seat touching the floor.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other question, do I need to do anything with the plug ends (seat belt buckle, or the one coming out of the floor? Will not plugging these in mean I have an Airbag or seatbelt light?
I have mine unplugged from my sport power seats: no airbag light and no other downsides. But thankfully I haven't tested if the airbag still deploys
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by phipp85
I just installed the 4119 seat in my car(C6Z) last week. It fit way better than I thought it would, with room to spare. It's mounted as low as it will go, bottom of the seat touching the floor.
Yes, but the 4009W is the wide version and will not fit without ripping up interior and removing seat belts.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Thank you for sending this. The link, and everyone's posts, have been very helpful. Looks like I'll be returning my seat bases and side rails. I'm very happy for amazon prime in this situation, makes returns as easy as they should be.

I ordered one MTI rail set to try that out, at almost $400 these things better be awesome. I have inquired about a used set of hardbar rails, but haven't heard back yet, this could be my passenger side if it works out.

Looks like cutting the seat foam helps, makes me nervous since that is the land of no return on a $800 item. I looked at Sparco's site and it doesn't say whether the Evo II US has different dimensions than the older Evo II.

Thanks again, I will update when the new rails get here.

The MTI brackets look very similar to the Hardbar since Hardbar is no longer making theirs.

I think the dimensions are different on the newer seats but I don't know by what.

You can unplug the sensor on a C5 no problem. It's the C6 that you would have issues with. I just tape my sensor to the carpet when I'm using my race seat. No lights whatsoever.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, but the 4009W is the wide version and will not fit without ripping up interior and removing seat belts.
does not have much street car left in it.... I guess the carpet is going next...

It barely clears the window... I do not recommend anyone doing the tall version of the 4119...

Last edited by smellya; 10-25-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, do you have an update? Curious if you have any pictures as I would like to do a Sparco Evo US seat in the next year.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Sent you a PM, let me know how I can help

For the other searchers, take a look at post #37 on this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rnesses-2.html

Get notified of new replies

To Sparco Evo II US Seat Intall, not straight forward

Quick Reply: Sparco Evo II US Seat Intall, not straight forward