Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Bilstein Group Buy v7.0 (It's back)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:34 AM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Just placed my order!!!! I have a 99 FRC - is this a single tuned damping for all C5 and C6 models???
Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Usps shipping option for us Canadians?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
Just placed my order!!!! I have a 99 FRC - is this a single tuned damping for all C5 and C6 models???
Yes. We feel that they are solid on all the models.

Randy
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Usps shipping option for us Canadians?
Yes sir, I don't mind doing the USPS route for you guys. It's 45ish dollars on top of the Group buy price.

Randy
Old 10-31-2014, 01:43 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I've been super happy with my stock C5 Z06 shocks for autocross. Are these Bilsteins shorter then stock when fully compressed? Front and rear. In what way are they better for me?
thanks,
Steve
The fronts are about the same. The rears are shorter.

We have had many go from the OEM Z shocks and felt improvement in both turn in and being able to put more power down coming out.

Randy
Old 11-01-2014, 05:09 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Yes. We feel that they are solid on all the models.

Randy

We have had many go from the OEM Z shocks and felt improvement in both turn in and being able to put more power down coming out.

Randy
Randy - where might I find objective evidence/data that these dampers are better then '04 Sachs for my C5Z? I can't find dyno plots nor lap time data to validate the many favorable yet 'qualitative' views of the benefits of these dampers. Seems that with the many GB's and positive feedback there should be something quantitative on the performance benefits, maybe buried in another thread? Thx.

TomF
Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in. Ordered a set for my 01 Z.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:03 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RX82Z06
Randy - where might I find objective evidence/data that these dampers are better then '04 Sachs for my C5Z? I can't find dyno plots nor lap time data to validate the many favorable yet 'qualitative' views of the benefits of these dampers. Seems that with the many GB's and positive feedback there should be something quantitative on the performance benefits, maybe buried in another thread? Thx.

TomF
Tom,
Sorry I have nothing qualitative for you. The fronts are similar in graph shapes and numbers to the Sports. The rears (04z) GM went higher in the compression and lower on the rebound then Bilstein (Sports, DRM, and HD).

Number one complaint from Corvette owners in handling dept is? Yep the back end doesn't feel planted in mid-late corner bumps.

Our shocks reduce that complaint and more people are confident putting down power. We don't have the resource to spend "days" at the ring playing around with shock valving. But we had some smart dudes with good butts doing the leg work on these.

Our goals were accomplished.
1.Increased feel for the driver (see reviews)
2.Rid all unsettling feelings in the car over bumps (see reviews)
3.Offer a better ride (50 percent say its better, 25 say its the same, 25 say it a tick rougher)
4.Increase mechanical grip (see reviews)
5.Keep the back end of the car planted! (see reviews)

At the end of the day, getting people off their 04 shocks is a hard sale.

Randy
Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

I'm in!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Well Randy im coming off of stock Z51 shocks on my FRC. So im anticipating a strong difference / improvement. This is my 5th corvette. Ive expereienced many suspension variations and mods

C6 Z06 shocks - was harsh on my base C6
04 Z06 shocks - noticable improvement but was not 100% satisfied
LG GT2 Coilovers - i could never dial these in correctly, either too hars or too soft. Was overkill for street use
Bilstein Sport & HD shocks - I have to be honest i wasnt a fan of the HD and the sports came off being a bit too harsh.

I am looking forward to this particular application though. My setup for my current FRC is 100% stock down to the plastic endlinks.

So far ive been pleased with the current ride quality. My car will see mostly street so im after compliance and improved body control. i look forward to eliminating excessive body roll, increased rebound to offset unessisary vertical travel over bumps at higher speeds. Any other improvments along the way in the form of more feedback and driver confidence will be icing. These shocks and the purchase of corbeau a4 seats will hopefully satisfy my goals. Cant wait

Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 11-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Niterider,
Holy crap you have been down the road before. I'm extremely curious what your impressions are on our valving.

Randy
Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 PM
slamminsam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy
I ordered a set over the weekend looking forward to changing out the stock 02 C5 Z06 shocks I currently have with these bad boys and take some hot laps!

My stock C5 Z06 is quickly becoming a track only car, and I was wondering what type of sway bars would work well with these shocks? I drive in the open groups after a year of professional coaching and I want to squeak out more speed every time so I'm pushing the car pretty hard. The car is stock except for safety equipment and oil cooler/rad

Would the GM T1 shocks be too stiff?

Thanks
Sam
Old 11-08-2014, 03:47 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
The fronts are about the same. The rears are shorter.

Randy
So the fronts won't lower a C5 Z06?

I scrape the air dam enough as it is.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slamminsam
Randy
I ordered a set over the weekend looking forward to changing out the stock 02 C5 Z06 shocks I currently have with these bad boys and take some hot laps!

My stock C5 Z06 is quickly becoming a track only car, and I was wondering what type of sway bars would work well with these shocks? I drive in the open groups after a year of professional coaching and I want to squeak out more speed every time so I'm pushing the car pretty hard. The car is stock except for safety equipment and oil cooler/rad

Thanks
Sam
I would think the C6 Z51 sway bars with metal links would be a good match for these shocks. Anything else would be unbalanced/overkill IMO.

T1 shocks would be very stiff and they really require all the other T1 components. If it's your first year of track driving I would recommend sticking to the Bilstein's, maybe a sway upgrade, good tires.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:02 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted by slamminsam
Randy

Thanks
Sam
Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Stock C5 Z06 would work pretty dam well with C5 Z06 springs

Dampers control springs, not really much effect on sway bars...

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Bilstein Group Buy v7.0 (It's back)

Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

1st track day with the new Bilsteins installed on my Grand Sport and I dropped 6 seconds off my best time at High Plains.

I am a newbie with this being my 4th day at the track, but count me as being very happy. Waiting for them sucked, but they're worth it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
slamminsam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv808
I would think the C6 Z51 sway bars with metal links would be a good match for these shocks. Anything else would be unbalanced/overkill IMO.

T1 shocks would be very stiff and they really require all the other T1 components. If it's your first year of track driving I would recommend sticking to the Bilstein's, maybe a sway upgrade, good tires.
Thanks, how much larger in diameter are the Z51 c6 sways, I already have the oem metal end links
Old 11-09-2014, 01:42 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would be the ride height difference for a 2007 base model ( non-Z51 ) ? and would these shocks be to radical of a difference for the base suspension?
I have to say after a 7000 mile trip around the west on some of the best curves ever, I became very aware that a track suspension would have been at a disadvantage... ie; a lot bumps on mountain back roads

Thanks

Quick Reply: DRM Bilstein Group Buy v7.0 (It's back)