Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavetrac vs Quaife vs stock LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Honestly I have never felt different diffs so I have no datapoints of common ground of understanding. Are there "sounds" to a working diff? For example if I hear constant volume tire squeal through a corner that might be the tire at its grip limit. If I here more of a constant on/off chirping through the turn is that the tire not at the limit quite yet or the sounds of good differential action heard in the tires?

How do you know a bad differential? Can you hear it as noise in the rear end or do you feel it like can't get power down where you could in the past?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
How do you know a bad differential? Can you hear it as noise in the rear end or do you feel it like can't get power down where you could in the past?
Depends a bit on the setup, cars with more front roll stiffness will still put down power pretty well as the diff goes away, but you'll feel inside tire wheel spin (the proverbial "one wheeler peelers") as the diff goes soft.

Another thing that sometimes happens is you will feel the car "step" out on corner exit (fast corners) as the diff goes from sticking to slipping. What is happening here is that the tires wind up and the axle torque finally gets high enough to start the diff to slip. Once the plates are slipping the oil gets smeared between the surfaces and the slipping torque is lower than the static torque (where the oil was all squeezed out from between the plates). When that happens you lose the stability from the axle halves being tied together and the back of the car steps out.

The last thing is that a clutch type LSD provides a lot of stability under braking. As the diff goes bad and gets loose on some cars you can feel the car being a bit looser under braking and especially under heavy trail braking.

I used to have a lot of problems with my RX-7 with the LSD. On that car I could tell right away when it needed to be rebuilt. In the Corvettes (C4's and 5's) I've had they have lasted a lot longer and the car isn't as sensitive to the diff so it's a bit harder to tell when it needs to be rebuilt, but if you find the car is "loose" in any of the above instances or if you pick up the rear tire enough to spin on rear tire it's time to get it done.

And one last point about LSD's. They rely on having some friction and some additives or lubricants can make a diff start to slip in short order. Once they start to slip, they can get destroyed in no time at all. I had a Dana 44 rebuilt after 5 years of autocross usage in my C4 and I watched the guy rebuild it to be tight and last. Then he poured in some "super" lube that he recommended. In three weekends it was shot and slipping horribly. We put in new clutch packs and just used the factory lube and the factory friction modifier and it lasted for years.

Last edited by Solofast; 10-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
I thought I saw an OS Giken decal on your car at Laguna.....? Grin......
Ha, that's probably one of the only decals I didn't have on there.

Originally Posted by dbratten
Bill, let me know if you'd like to drive mine as I have had the OSG for several years now and am very happy with it. The OEM diff would not hold the 335 rubber in autox turns or even the Esses at BW. I even had GM rebuild the OEM once but with no improvement.

--Dan
Thanks Dan, good to hear you like it and I know you are fast with it too.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I see a lot of track cars chiming in about the OSG, any street cars using one?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove my TT on the street (to/from events). There are no quirks or anything else when driving it on the street.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
I see a lot of track cars chiming in about the OSG, any street cars using one?
Mine is a daily driver. I wouldn't have changed the OEM diff if I wasn't auto crossing and tracking the car. I've noticed no negatives to having the OSG on the street.

Quick Reply: Wavetrac vs Quaife vs stock LSD?