Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attending F1 at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Attending F1 at COTA

So have free room and flights to Austin for the Oct31-Nov2 weekend and want to go to COTA. I see tickets and different turns but if this was the first time attending there would one be better off with just general admission all 3 days? What other tips would you give a first time F1 attendee? Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 02:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
So have free room and flights to Austin for the Oct31-Nov2 weekend and want to go to COTA. I see tickets and different turns but if this was the first time attending there would one be better off with just general admission all 3 days? What other tips would you give a first time F1 attendee? Thanks
#1 tip bring me.

Have fun & take some pics & post back.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

lol, will do, really looking forward to it. did buy 3 day general admission tickets.

Originally Posted by froggy47
#1 tip bring me.

Have fun & take some pics & post back.

Last edited by edge04; 10-24-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:43 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see tickets and different turns but if this was the first time attending there would one be better off with just general admission all 3 days? What other tips would you give a first time F1 attendee? Thanks
I did the 3-day general back in 2012 (inaugural event) and found that the best open seating to be on the hillside at the entry to turn 1. If you get higher up on the hill it is possible to see the cars down through the esses and coming around T16,17,18 complex. We also tried all the other open spots on track (and a few of the seats when the guards weren't looking) and found t19 to be interesting because they are carrying so much speed through and often overdid it, especially in FP1 & 2. If I was paying for a seat it would be in turn 1 though.

Other advice: absolutely have to hit 6th street clubs and walk downtown at the F1 event during the evenings, a real party and worth it to people watch even if drinking isn't your thing. RBR even had an older car on display on a stand and you could get under it and touch the thing, that was cool! We took the downtown shuttle and had reasonable wait times while others who came from the mall location were having 45 minutes or more just to get onto a shuttle bus. Food is pretty good at the track but expect to wait a bit. Lots of food trucks along the back straight, also funny to see the million dollar motor homes with a F458 or Bentley as the 'tow-behind' vehicle along there. Wear sunscreen (yes even in November) and enjoy the spectacle!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

awesome, thanks. Drinking is my thing and I love Austin, been several times but first F1. Looking forward to it. Would imagine falling on Halloween weekend will just add to the fun.

Seeing the motorhomes is one of the things I am most looking forward to.

Looks like there is DT shuttle and train....or are those the same?

Originally Posted by steve J06
I did the 3-day general back in 2012 (inaugural event) and found that the best open seating to be on the hillside at the entry to turn 1. If you get higher up on the hill it is possible to see the cars down through the esses and coming around T16,17,18 complex. We also tried all the other open spots on track (and a few of the seats when the guards weren't looking) and found t19 to be interesting because they are carrying so much speed through and often overdid it, especially in FP1 & 2. If I was paying for a seat it would be in turn 1 though.

Other advice: absolutely have to hit 6th street clubs and walk downtown at the F1 event during the evenings, a real party and worth it to people watch even if drinking isn't your thing. RBR even had an older car on display on a stand and you could get under it and touch the thing, that was cool! We took the downtown shuttle and had reasonable wait times while others who came from the mall location were having 45 minutes or more just to get onto a shuttle bus. Food is pretty good at the track but expect to wait a bit. Lots of food trucks along the back straight, also funny to see the million dollar motor homes with a F458 or Bentley as the 'tow-behind' vehicle along there. Wear sunscreen (yes even in November) and enjoy the spectacle!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM
steve J06
Racer

awesome, thanks. Drinking is my thing and I love Austin, been several times but first F1. Looking forward to it. Would imagine falling on Halloween weekend will just add to the fun.

Seeing the motorhomes is one of the things I am most looking forward to.

Looks like there is DT shuttle and train....or are those the same?
Yeah, the motto "keep Austin weird" seems about right, so can imagine that it will be a real good time on Halloween! There was no train station at the track that I was aware of so not sure what that may refer to. Recommend Chuey's for tex-mex, not exactly downtown but worth the cab ride. Really did not have a bad meal or experience at all other than severely pounding heads in the AM until we got to the track and quickly forgot about that.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

I see this

http://www.capmetro.org/f1/

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/f1/downtown-shuttle
Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM
steve J06
Racer

Ah, looks like the bus stop location has changed since 2012. It was at 15th & trinity, near the capitol complex and we stayed near UT. Now it appears to be in the heart of downtown and the metro rail looks like a connector to the northwest 'burbs but we did not deal with that. Also looks like a charge to shuttle to the track? was free. guess Bernie found another way to squeeze a dollar.

Get notified of new replies

To Attending F1 at COTA

Quick Reply: Attending F1 at COTA