Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

That would be interesting to see, even if just to see how different tires change things.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey Sam,

I was at the trackcross 10/15 in the Yellow C6. I had no idea that was you, I have heard the name many times over the past few years and seen plenty of your videos and customer cars (mainly fbuckets).

lol
Attached Images  

Last edited by SK360; 10-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

The small world continues.

Next time I'll bring the C6Z on Hoosier's! Last time I was there for a Trackcross I ran similar times in my Grand Sport on Hoosier's to what I was running in the FRC. But back then they had turn 7 all coned off so you couldn't get a good run in or out (I guess someone thought that was safer, though I didn't). Pretty sure 39's are there easy in the Z.

I don't think I caught your name SK360. I should have more formally introduced myself, but I'm not the world's more social butterfly. :/
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I completely forgot to mention something I should have.

We're small. No army of web folks, no super duper website with every part known to man, etc. There are two of us here, and Desiree isn't a 'car person', so I end up spending most of my time talking to people vs making things look cool on the web.

That said, there are two things I have to tell you folks which I previously forgot.

1. We don't take any form of payment online. You can order something from the site, and it will submit the order to me, but it won't ask you payment online. No, sorry that doesn't mean it's free.... I do that for one really simple reason. If your CC number isn't online it's not able to be swiped from the 'net. And being I don't have an army of folks to work on internet security (and doesn't seem to matter for the mega companies that do anyway), I just found it best to avoid the issue all the way around. Yeah, a little old fashioned, but most folks understand and prefer that method once they understand why I am doing things that way.

2. If you don't see something, PLEASE ASK. I can't do everything, but I can do way more than you currently see on the web. Here's a simple rule of thumb. If you see it say at Summit or Jegs, I have it too. Plus I have other things they don't too.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The small world continues.

Next time I'll bring the C6Z on Hoosier's! Last time I was there for a Trackcross I ran similar times in my Grand Sport on Hoosier's to what I was running in the FRC. But back then they had turn 7 all coned off so you couldn't get a good run in or out (I guess someone thought that was safer, though I didn't). Pretty sure 39's are there easy in the Z.

I don't think I caught your name SK360. I should have more formally introduced myself, but I'm not the world's more social butterfly. :/
<- Matt. Will make sure to introduce myself next time.

That was my first time on the track for anything with only a couple of AutoX's under my belt... had a blast getting to know the car a little better and looking to improve next time. I watched your GS videos to familiarize myself with the track and remember being surprised that 7 wasn't coned off when we were there.

Posted up a video or two here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ack-kinda.html
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It took me a day longer than expected due to the final crunch to get the z06 off to SEMA but heres the side by side as close as I can seem to get it meshed together!
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...tranovsyonkers

shocking probably no one is that the power difference doesn't seem to make much difference at all when someone like Sam is able to get back on the gas so much earlier than my stock suspendered car.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in college in the late 90s/early 2000s I ran F stock competitively locally with my 93 Firebird Formula running victoracers and the strano front bar. What a blast, I miss those days.

I don't autocross much anymore (now I have a 155,000 miles 2006 BMW 330i with a 3.38 lsd, otherwise mostly oem) that I get to the Glen with several times a year.

I just found out about 'trackcross' at Beaverun, I can't wait to check that out next year for an inexpensive track fix.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I guess I should also say I do things like BMW parts too.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
It took me a day longer than expected due to the final crunch to get the z06 off to SEMA but heres the side by side as close as I can seem to get it meshed together!
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...tranovsyonkers

shocking probably no one is that the power difference doesn't seem to make much difference at all when someone like Sam is able to get back on the gas so much earlier than my stock suspendered car.
Uh, is there some way to match those up I'm missing?

Keep in mine this is on 540 TW Conti DWS's in an FRC... on it's stock 17x8.5/18x9.5 wheels. It does have shocks and my 33mm front bar and an alignment so it's not bone stock. But it's lacking a lot of tire.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Uh, is there some way to match those up I'm missing?

Keep in mine this is on 540 TW Conti DWS's in an FRC... on it's stock 17x8.5/18x9.5 wheels. It does have shocks and my 33mm front bar and an alignment so it's not bone stock. But it's lacking a lot of tire.
if the videos aren't showing as starting from the same point the video of me needs to start at 726 seconds, the video of you needs to start at 14 seconds, I thought I formatted it correctly to start both from the correct point but perhaps I goofed up?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Or, more likely computers glitched.

They are just a couple seconds off. No big deal really. FWIW, and *totally* off topic. Looks like you kind of don't let the car run over the top of 6 meaning you had to slow down to keep it more left. And basically had no track out down 7. Admittedly that's tough because it's blind but once you turn in that's the hard part. From there let it run left you have lots of time to move back right for the kink (turn 8).

BTW, that day Larry Woo showed up in that super-duper 997 Turbo S. Where was 42.2 on those tires in an FRC he was only 39.9 in that Turbo S and was launching it, and was crossed up (in a bit of a scary way) down 7. I'll take that being down, oh, 300hp, AWD, and tires. He probably had me covered by 1.5 or 2 seconds at turn 1 from the standing start.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:17 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Or, more likely computers glitched.

They are just a couple seconds off. No big deal really. FWIW, and *totally* off topic. Looks like you kind of don't let the car run over the top of 6 meaning you had to slow down to keep it more left. And basically had no track out down 7. Admittedly that's tough because it's blind but once you turn in that's the hard part. From there let it run left you have lots of time to move back right for the kink (turn 8).

BTW, that day Larry Woo showed up in that super-duper 997 Turbo S. Where was 42.2 on those tires in an FRC he was only 39.9 in that Turbo S and was launching it, and was crossed up (in a bit of a scary way) down 7. I'll take that being down, oh, 300hp, AWD, and tires. He probably had me covered by 1.5 or 2 seconds at turn 1 from the standing start.
Thank you for the tips on 6 and 7! I struggled with 6-9 all day, that was one of the earlier sessions of the day as my gopro started malfunctioning later, I'd like to think I got a bit better through that section later in the day but I doubt it, I was trying hard to keep to the left after turn 6 which after looking more closely at your video again I see some of the time I was losing!

I did manage to drop 1.5 seconds between turn 7 and the entry to turn 10 later in the day compared to this video by staying off the brakes and on the throttle through turns 8 and 9 (8 was easy, 9 is very much a pucker inducing corner)
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

9 can be hairy in a fast car. The Camaro I was in that day was on such bad tires (stock P-Zero's) I had to brake some for 9 even though I'd be all over the inside grasscrete stuff flattening the radius as much as possible. Which btw is another tip. Nobody uses that. Looks bad but you can easily touch it with the right side and nothing happens. But it's interesting to note that where and how you brake for 9 makes a difference because of the humps in the road.

Aww hell I should not say this you have a different track to get ready for, right?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

9 can be hairy in a fast car. The Camaro I was in that day was on such bad tires (stock P-Zero's) I had to brake some for 9 even though I'd be all over the inside grasscrete stuff flattening the radius as much as possible. Which btw is another tip. Nobody uses that. Looks bad but you can easily touch it with the right side and nothing happens. But it's interesting to note that where and how you brake for 9 makes a difference because of the humps in the road.

Aww hell I should not say this you have a different track to get ready for, right?
Indeed! You don't have any tips for running LVMS by chance do you?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Sorry... never been there.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've known Sam for about 15 years. Extremely honest and a great setup tech. Trust him to supply your autoX/racing needs.
ditto

known Sam for a while and bought stuff and referred people to him

he is an honest guy

if you tell him you want to accomplish X and he doesn't sell the best part to accomplish that, he'll tell you to go to someone who sells it rather than trying to sell you something not as good that he does have

that blew me away a few years ago
Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 PM
STFU racing
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'll use my first post to also give credit to Sam for being brutally honest and willing to spread his knowledge with lesser racers like me. He set my 2000 Trans am up and it does great. If only he could sell me some of his experience so I could drive it more competitively.

I'm looking to purchase a vette next year and will be hitting him up on a good direction to take it. Most likely a C5 z06.

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.