Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing tires on track - chapter II

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:24 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Mixing tires on track - chapter II

I have been experimenting with different tire brands and compounds for the last few years.

With a shop full of partial sets of tires, a few months ago I asked about mixing R-Comps (Hoosier, GY, etc.), and most agreed that it was OK for HPDE events.

Still looking to use up my odd ball tire supply, I have two 345-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (TW 80, 50% tread), and several 275-18 Nitto NT-01 (TW 100, 75% tread).

I know the hardcore racers probably wouldn't touch this combo, but how about the casual drivers like me? I have a few thousand dollars in tires and would like to use them up. Thoughts?

BTW, I have chosen the Michelin Pilot Super Sports as my permanent track tire for the future, so I don't want to buy any more R-Comps, Sport Cups or Nittos.

TIA.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Car worth vs running used tires, that is the equation. If you are asking the internet for advice you probably know the answer. I run nt01s in race group for 2 or 3 three weekends but i know my driving and my car and toss after 6 months regardless of heat cycles. Tires have a shelf life so the easy answer is buy fresh and run them out.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

You are honestly your best source for what to do. Yes, if you mix tire brands, compounds, age, etc. you won't get optimum results. No, the car won't explode, meteorites won't fall on you, etc. Old tires get hard, lose grip, etc., so you just have to manage.

Are you willing to give a point by so you can drive to the limits of your tires, which are now worse than they used to be? If so, then go out and have fun. If you want the best performance you can get out of your car, then sell them cheap to someone just getting off their first track day that doesn't want to tear up their street tires. Then you can move forward without the garage inventory.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Sure you can, but are you willing to waste track days just so you can use up some tires?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe Im just poor, or rather don't have the excess funds to throw at playing like other people, and maybe knowing that I know I am not out to go 10/10th all the time and be pushing the limits at every second.

Last track day, I ran R888s in the back (100) and old rock hard Falkens (500). Car was surprisingly balanced and easy to drive (not enough front traction to make the it tail happy, but still not pushing).

Did I set any lap records? Nope, but that was never my plan, I had a very enjoyable day at the track, doing some laps, blowing by some lotus's and M3s.

So no, your car wont blow up, accept it for what it is and enjoy it.

Or ship them out to me, ill use them up for you. ;-)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
You are honestly your best source for what to do. Yes, if you mix tire brands, compounds, age, etc. you won't get optimum results. No, the car won't explode, meteorites won't fall on you, etc. Old tires get hard, lose grip, etc., so you just have to manage.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Take what they give you, adjust as necessary, be smart and have fun! No big deal.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you are using up old tires you can mix brands/compounds without worry as long as the tire with the most grip is in the rear. I have run road race slicks/R compounds in the rear with Michelin PS street tires in front. The car understeered a lot but that was workable. Reversing the combination would have made it very tricky to drive.

Bill
Old 10-24-2014, 06:54 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks guys for the input.

This place can be a pretty tough crowd sometimes, and I thought for sure that I would be nailed pretty hard for even considering mixing tires.

I am definitely a couple rungs down the ladder from the serious driver, most of my events are just for fun.

Thanks for the support!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to run mismatched tires on the track or autocross course.

For a corvette. I would prefer to have the sticker compound tire on the rear. And assuming there is a not a huge variance in grip, the one that is more heat tolerant in the front.

I would caution against making any permanent set up changes based on those tires though. Would definitely play with air pressure, shock settings and possible sway bar settings if I really wanted. But just to balance the car. Not purely to go after faster times.

For an autocross, I'd prefer the better tires on the front. As rotation is a desirable trait in that venue. Same rules apply.

I never advocate mixing street tires with Rcomps and vice versa. The characteristics are so far apart that it's not even worthwhile.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I did a track day last weekend with Hoosier R6's on the rear with about 20 heat cycles and fairly new MPSC's on the front. I was traction limited up front, as I expected, and pushed in the corners pretty bad. As the day went on I beleive the R6's began to heat cycle out and got pretty greasy as I could lay black stripes coming out of some of the turns for about 60 feet. I have come to the conclusion that I am not very good at dialing it back to 7/10ths to compensate for running out differing tire compounds so I will stick with like compounds at all 4 corners!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can run mixed compounds but it's more challenging and you will have to keep a little bit of 'reserve' (i.e. not run at 10/10 th's). One of the key challenges that was not mentioned is that the car's balance can change as you warm the tires up. Different compounds will heat up at different rates and have different levels of grip. That means that the the car's balance between oversteer and understeer can change depending upon which lap you are on.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

If you ran a square setup, you could throw the stickier tires on the outside.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running mixed compounds on track and it is working, you either aren't pushing the car OR it's really unbalanced, which a late model Corvette takes some talent.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Running at 10/10s is only smart during competition; autocross, TT, or W2W. Keeping some in reserve at a DE is only smart, even if you're running in the instructor group.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been mixing tires front and back for years. Currently I have 315 Hoosier A6s on the front and 315 Kumho 710s on the rear.

I agree that stickier tires go on the rear for high speed AutoX / road racing / HPDEs but have found that for low speed Auto X the stickier set goes to the FRONT on the car for better times. At least with my C4 that understeers naturally. YMMV.

As long as you are educated about your car, the tires, and your total setup you can mix and match rubber. I had a few people stop at my spot in the pits watching me move tires around after a low speed Auto x on Sat in anticipation of the High speed AutoX on Sunday, wondering why I was "rotating my tires" :-)

Last edited by Biggus Blockus; 10-27-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing tires on track - chapter II

Quick Reply: Mixing tires on track - chapter II