Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator wires Race car

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator wires Race car

The wiring on my race car caught fire due to a oil leak. I'm rewiring the car and have a question on the alternator connections. It has a two pin connector and a heavy gauge red wire [ goes to bat + ]. I know the one connector wire goes to a switched +12 line. Where does the other wire connect??

Thanks for info
Old 10-24-2014, 09:26 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You are correct about the red wire - goes to hot side of cut off switch (as in always hot with battery terminals hooked up). As far as the other wires, depends on what type/size alternator. We ran into this problem with our racecar. I sought info from a place that rebuilds alternators to get the correct wiring. You can search for your particular alternator online perhaps. When I get a chance to look at the racecar, I'll try to get info to you on how we did it with our 140 amp.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You are correct about the red wire - goes to hot side of cut off switch (as in always hot with battery terminals hooked up). As far as the other wires, depends on what type/size alternator. We ran into this problem with our racecar. I sought info from a place that rebuilds alternators to get the correct wiring. You can search for your particular alternator online perhaps. When I get a chance to look at the racecar, I'll try to get info to you on how we did it with our 140 amp.
I would appreciate the info very much. THANKS
Old 10-24-2014, 12:09 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The car is in another State at this time. However, I now remember taking it to a local automotive shop that had a really sharp fellow working behind the counter that looked at the 4 wire jack. He simply twisted 2 of the legs (depends upon which alternator you have) together and showed me where to wire the ignition lead. It would be so nice if these things were universal. Unfortunately, they're not. Maybe I can get that info to you in a few days but you will still need to know which alternator you have. As I said, ours is a 140 amp GM type.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is a simple 2 pin it probably goes to an idiot light.

12v is supplied to one side via the ignition and when the alternator turns on it provides gnd to the other pin for the light to indicate charging ... that is how my Ford one works. Needs a current limiting resistor in-line also.

If it is in the car you can check it. Key on and see if it has 12v ... run the car and see what the other pin does. If the regulator is bad it will not turn on.

Depending on your car and alternator you may find it here:
Alternator wiring

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator wires Race car

Quick Reply: Alternator wires Race car