Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couner weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:24 PM
woody6244
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default corner weight

I did a search and nothing cam back. So the question is since C5s have wider rear tires would you still want to have front to rear weight 50% - 50%. and changing tire size change optimum weight %. What side of the fuel tank drains first?

Last edited by woody6244; 10-31-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2014, 12:56 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by woody6244
I did a search and nothing cam back. So the question is since C5s have wider rear tires would you still want to have front to rear weight 50% - 50%. and changing tire size change optimum weight %
quick answer yes 50/50 (if possible a bit more to the rear is best)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by woody6244
I did a search and nothing cam back. So the question is since C5s have wider rear tires would you still want to have front to rear weight 50% - 50%. and changing tire size change optimum weight %
It's all a matter of how you want to set the car up. Bigger rear tires let you use more rear roll stiffness, and you can take some of the cornering load off of the front tires and put it in the rear.

OTOH, if you upsize the fronts to a "square" setup you can add more front roll stiffness and that can work too. Lot of folks here are running square setups and after they dial the car in it works just fine.

It's all in how you want to set up the car. Remember, that looks enter into it to, and bigger rear tires are important to the stance of the car.

Bottom line is that you can make a pretty wide range of setups work, you just have to work through it and get the car balanced in terms of shocks, spring rates and roll stiffness.

In a perfect world you would size the tires for the weight distribution, and then tune the car, but there are bunches of reasons why this isn't done.

For an example, GM didn't want fatter tires on the front of the C5 because it hurt the aerodynamics and increased fuel consumption (CAFE numbers are important to every car in a manufacturers line). When they came out with the Z06 they upsized the width because the car needed more front tire, although it hurt the mileage.

To get a car to handle properly you need "enough" tire, but after that, more tire doesn't help much in increasing grip and improving handling. There is definitely a case of diminishing returns with increasing tire width.

With suspension tuning you can take cars that don't have optimum weight distributions and tire combinations, and make them go pretty darn fast, it's all a matter of getting the car balanced, and there's a range of tuning that can get the car there even if the package isn't perfect.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's an article I did on corner weighting. You want to pay attention to the cross weights. They should be within a lb. or so. With the car with you in the seat. I like a half tank of gas.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RDpLQX_ZNz.../Scales+2w.jpg

None of this is going to be easy you'll spend hours on this. Then hours on the alignment. Then back to the weights. Don't forget to disconnect your sway bars

Richard Newton
Old 10-31-2014, 02:10 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Right side tank continuously pumps to left side..
totally opposite of what it should be in my eyes.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JVetthead
Right side tank continuously pumps to left side..
totally opposite of what it should be in my eyes.
I agree. What were they thinking?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Serious winter project - could it be reversed?

Or would it be worth the effort . . . . .
Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Serious winter project - could it be reversed?

Or would it be worth the effort . . . . .
Can be done. Not sure of the effort it required so I'm no help there. But it has been done....
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Easy solution is to run with full tanks all the time.. I need the wieght anyway and its in a good location. for TT anyway.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go. I was reading this last night.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ompromise.html

Get notified of new replies

To couner weight

Quick Reply: couner weight