Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I buy brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where can I buy brackets?

This seems to be the place for brake questions and I am having trouble locating where I could just buy mounting brackets.
I was given a pair of 4 piston outlaw calipers. These appear to be a copy of the wilwoods with lug mounting ears and 4 bleeders with a center cotter pin holding the pad in.
No lines, rotors or brackets. I'd like to use them on my C5 as rear brakes and put a set of 6 piston wilwoods up front.
Are brackets only available from wilwood if I call them? Their site appears to only sell kits.
What about using these as a low budget front brake upgrade until I get a 6 piston kit?
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Randall Finlayson , Performance AFX has brackets # 630677 2471
Old 11-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Might find some used ones here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...assifieds-158/

Post your own WTB thread there.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:55 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilash
This seems to be the place for brake questions and I am having trouble locating where I could just buy mounting brackets.
I was given a pair of 4 piston outlaw calipers. These appear to be a copy of the wilwoods with lug mounting ears and 4 bleeders with a center cotter pin holding the pad in.
No lines, rotors or brackets. I'd like to use them on my C5 as rear brakes and put a set of 6 piston wilwoods up front.
Are brackets only available from wilwood if I call them? Their site appears to only sell kits.
What about using these as a low budget front brake upgrade until I get a 6 piston kit?
Thanks for your help.
Your C5 brakes with good pads and rotors will put you through the windshield as is or get into the ABS or flat spot your tires in a flash if it fails so why do you need 6 piston and 5 times the operating cost?

Just a thought buy beer instead
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Evilash
Pro

Thanks for the info on the bracket vendor. I didn't think about a wtb thread.

As far as why. Well my car is far from stock and my home track of Pacific Raceways has no run off and a ton of trees.
I've blown through a good set of pads in a day and they still left something to be desired into turn 2. Even though I'm not sure if my ability to return after shattering my spine this winter I'd like to be ready.

These use the wilwood poly matrix pad which is cheaper than good stock pads and well they were brand new and free.
I'm thinking for the front to get the LG setup that uses the C6 Z51 stock rotors all around. That's about $1,000 and some stock rotors for a better than C6z06 kit that runs $2,000.

But let's not kid ourselves there is a coolness factor plus this is my hobby car. I've got a Ron Davis rad and oil cooler set to go in also. Which I do need somewhat as my oil was hitting 295 and then I'd take it off track.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I run at Pacific Raceways too, turn 2 can be a little intimidating with all of the rocks in the run-off area. I was out there for the last of the season Porsche Club Northwest Driver Ed day, it had been awhile since my last visit. The track resurfacing really helped, though there are still the uneven pavement out of turn 9 to contend with. I really got bounced around there. I found the entrance to turn 3A seemed harder on brakes than turn 2.

Sorry to hear about your spine, hope it heals up quickly and you are able to return to the sport.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Evilash
Pro

Well for turn 3 I'm going about 110 instead of my self imposed 140 mph limit into turn 2. 3 has that escape road so it doesn't freak me out as much as 2.
5a I just flat brake early for. Seen too much damage happen there.

Thanks for the well wishes. I haven't put my seats and fire gear for sale yet.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Do you have a Wilwood part number for those calipers? I can't find any reference to Outlaw calipers on the Wilwood web site. I see Amazon and other references to Wilwood calipers that are replacements for Outlaw calipers (specifically the Dynalite Series).

If the calipers truly have mounting ears it may not be possible to mount them on the car. All of the C5/C6 Wilwood kits use standard/common design radial mount calipers with brackets that adapt the caliper to the car. The calipers do not have any mounting ears.

As far as I know Wilwood doesn't make any brackets that would adapt the Dynalite caliper to a C5/C6 knuckle.

Call Todd at TCE (a forum vendor) and see if he has any knowledge of these calipers and any brackets that might be available. I purchased my Wilwood BBKs from him and he is a great resource when it comes to technical questions on Wilwood products. He also has very competitive prices.

Bill
Old 11-05-2014, 04:54 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks Bill.

By the OPs description however they are lug mount. Most likely 3.50" centers. That alone makes them non compatible with the standard Wiwood radial mount brackets. Nothing off the shelf in their line will work. Nor will the kits from KNS or LG. Both those also use the radial mount design.

That doesn't mean you're out of luck...there may well be some suppliers who fabbed up lug mount brackets (think flat steel plates) for using one of those calipers. Not sure who tho...

Also before you go too deep into your search I'd suggest you look at the size of the pistons in those calipers as well as verify what rotor width they are engineered for. You'll be looking for a body to accept 1.25" + width discs when the pads are full or new. If you have something with 1.375 pistons or fitting a narrower rotor...that won't work for you.

Sometimes free just isn't all its cracked up to be. You might be better of selling those four parts for $400 and putting that towards a properly designed and fit kit. No fuss, no muss, it's done. But that's clearly your call.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Evilash
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

They are the wider mounting 5.25. They are outlaw brand series 2000 calipers. They are the 5.25 mounting center, 1.25" disc with the 1.38 bore size. Found here http://www.outlawdiscbrakes.com/2000.html

True free sometimes isn't usefull like my free catch can I ended up tossing.

I was actually going to call Todd when I was ready for a front kit and ask about these on the back. I was very interested in the front kit you have running around $1,000 but was hoping to use C6 Z51 rotors instead of my stock C5. That appears to not be possible so I'm still considering my options.
I have some other parts to sell first that I was going to apply to a big brake kit. Maybe I'll have to sell these calipers also.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:36 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Looking at the link....that is not a class of caliper you'd want on your car. Much too small and light for the application. More of a light import app. Lots of flex and extremely small, thin pads.

Good part, wrong application is all.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Evilash
Pro

Is your kit that keeps the rear brakes using the fnsl4 a setup I should consider?
I thought it looked like basically the same size 4 piston caliper.
Just want I know what kit I need if what I have is too small and I want to keep the park brake.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:42 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

I can't say what you have "won't work" it may well. But the issue is integrity and value. The link is to what is a Wilwood Dynalite part in my world. I run them on my Pikes Peak car. All 1400lbs of it! Great part. No quite up to the demands of a road race sedan tho.

The bores are a bit on the large size in my mind. Most rears are in the 1.125 o 1.25 range. Moving to 1.375 means a lot or rear bias and a long pedal for displacement. I could work with a properly paired front set up yes. And be fine for bias. Overall however I'd say you are looking at the wrong part no matter what.

The FNSL4 rear kits for the parking brake are a much better choice. Larger stiffer calipers, much larger pads..far more correct for such use. No bias change issues etc (*need to know your fronts to pick proper bores)

Not a sales pitch. You asked about what you have. I gave you my input as have others. Obviously the final choice is yours. Outlaw stuff was pretty good and those are proven product if you feel comfortable with them.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Evilash
Pro

No worries. I really want to know what is best for my use and budget and didn't feel like being sold at all. I've been using your website to do my window shopping.

I haven't bought fronts yet so I will be looking at a matched package.
Thank you for letting me know what I really had.

The brakes were destined for the front of a Lancia 037 somewhat replica my friend is building so I was already suspicious as it is much lighter than my car. But I thought they would make OK rears. His project is blogged about at mystradale.WordPress.com.

Get notified of new replies

To Where can I buy brackets?

Quick Reply: Where can I buy brackets?