Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering getting a notchy feeling during track day

Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Setrap 1 worked for me

Originally Posted by Red5
Thanks for teh help. Looks like I am building up a winter project list.
I too have an ’08 C6 & I did many of your same modifications. In addition I’ve also experienced power steering fluid leaks. Have you already fixed your power steering line leak? Even if you have, high rpms will overheat or froth corvette power steering fluid and cause leaks; something to do with cavitation or fluid being pumped through too fast. Sounds like drivers have addressed this in different ways. The simplest may be shifting sooner to keep the rpms down. Others have added the under-drive pulley to slow down the revolutions of the PS pump. Still some choose to add a beefier power steering cooler. I went with the latter and hooked up a Setrap Series 1 oil cooler which fit in behind my Pfadt sway bar and in front of the power steering rack. In order to expose this to more cold air I could have located this it in front of the Dewitts radiator but the ZO6 engine oil cooler blocked this idea. Since this install, there’s been no more PS oil barfed up for me.

As someone once said “ the cars that stay the coolest stay on the track the longest”
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
One thing that can help the stock pump. Install a larger power steering cooler. Use a transmission cooler to get more area and more fluid in the system. Once you get the heat out of the fluid the pump and the rack will last much longer.

Bill

Agreed, I used to go threw a rack or pump at least once a season, once I removed the small stock cooler with a big aftermarket cooler, I never had a failure since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering getting a notchy feeling during track day