Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:15 AM
corvettefrance
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission issues?

I have problem to shift from 2nd to 3 rd and also down shift from 4th down to 3rd
This only happen when i pull hard
The vette is a 2002 C5 coupe with19000 miles
I did only two long trips with it for about 4000 miles total
I did about 10000 miles around denver on the street
I also did about 40 tracks days withe stock engines or about 4000 miles
I build the engine at 17000 miles with about 550hp
And did 2 track days since

So i am a little surprise about the transmission problem.

I do not have a cooling tranny but during track event I rarely run for more than 15 mn at a time

Could it be the linkage as this only after i build the engine.
If not is it worth to rebuild one
Has anyone here swap for a porsche transmission.
If yes is it very complicated

Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll bet a nickel to a dollar you have broken one of the little 'butterfly' tabs on your clutch IF you are using the stock clutch. If you have long tubes (sounds like it) you can pull the clutch inspection plate off, manually rotate the pressure plate/flywheel while someone depresses the clutch and releases. If there is a loose butterfly tab, this will sometimes let it fall out or allow it to move and identify the problem. Rotate the flywheel both directions to try and work it free. Doesn't take long and if it falls out, the clutch will return to normal operation. (This has happened to us twice) You'd still want to replace the clutch eventually.

I'd be interested in knowing what it is regardless.

Last edited by CP Thunder; 11-05-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
I'll bet a nickel to a dollar you have broken one of the little 'butterfly' tabs on your clutch IF you are using the stock clutch. If you have long tubes (sounds like it) you can pull the clutch inspection plate off, manually rotate the pressure plate/flywheel while someone depresses the clutch and releases. If there is a loose butterfly tab, this will sometimes let it fall out or allow it to move and identify the problem. Rotate the flywheel both directions to try and work it free. Doesn't take long and if it falls out, the clutch will return to normal operation. (This has happened to us twice) You'd still want to replace the clutch eventually.

I'd be interested in knowing what it is regardless.

I had this occur twice in the 10 years I raced the C5. Started out as you described and ultimately I couldn't get into gear at all or into 4th. One time it was the clutch tab having broken off, the other there was a crack in the clutch housing coming from a mounting hole.
So sounds as if clutch going.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission issues?

Quick Reply: Transmission issues?