Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap of America brake pad help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I carry a lot of options. I have some favorites. And I just fried a set of something I was trying on my FRC this weekend @ Summit Point because I try and stay on top of various things.
http://www.catesracing.com/flp/nasa/..._0691.JPG.html In fact if you hit "next" 6 or 7 more times you get a whole series of shots.

That's me from this past Saturday. Taken coming into turn 5 @ Summit Point WV (Main track).
Ah, I remember seeing your car in the paddock. Wish I knew it was you, and I would have introduced myself. I was at Summit Point as well, instructing and running Time Trials in my black C5 coupe #82. I’m looking into suspension upgrades over the winter, and I’ll be sure to give you a call.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Ah, I remember seeing your car in the paddock. Wish I knew it was you, and I would have introduced myself. I was at Summit Point as well, instructing and running Time Trials in my black C5 coupe #82. I’m looking into suspension upgrades over the winter, and I’ll be sure to give you a call.
Yep that was me. It was kind of a last minute deal to take the FRC. Normally I'd have had my old A-Sedan Mustang, but I need to shake down the front control arm bushings we're working on, and wanted to see how the shocks I'm on worked there. Sadly, since I've not had the car long I had crap for tire selection.

The car came with 220 TW Sumitomo HTR ZII's. So I figured I'd run them. Well, they kind of suck. So much suck I actually put my everyday (and I mean everyday) tires on. Conti DWS, all 540 TW, and they were better. I just tried to not be too much of a stopper in the slow corners. Looking a data vs. my other cars and times there I was ok everywhere but where'd you expect... 5 through 9. that was just a stuggle. I had plenty of Hoosier's for the rear as I can use my old fronts from my Z06.... but I had nothing for the front to match it.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep that was me. It was kind of a last minute deal to take the FRC. Normally I'd have had my old A-Sedan Mustang, but I need to shake down the front control arm bushings we're working on, and wanted to see how the shocks I'm on worked there. Sadly, since I've not had the car long I had crap for tire selection.

The car came with 220 TW Sumitomo HTR ZII's. So I figured I'd run them. Well, they kind of suck. So much suck I actually put my everyday (and I mean everyday) tires on. Conti DWS, all 540 TW, and they were better. I just tried to not be too much of a stopper in the slow corners. Looking a data vs. my other cars and times there I was ok everywhere but where'd you expect... 5 through 9. that was just a stuggle. I had plenty of Hoosier's for the rear as I can use my old fronts from my Z06.... but I had nothing for the front to match it.
I feel your pain. I run a stock alignment, and ended up cording the outsides of my Conti slicks. So my last few sessions on Sunday turned into drift exhibitions in T6 and T10.

I remember seeing you on track, and you definitely weren’t slowing anyone down. Way more impressive now, knowing you were on 540TW tires!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:44 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I know we are off topic with brakes here, but hey... it's kind of relevant as we both had them and were on track.

I notice the stock alignment (and tall ride height). Any reason why you don't have some camber in it at least? Just curious. I have -2.4 front in mine. It can be hard on soft street tires, but there are compromises to everything.

I'm glad I wasn't holding anyone up too much... well except for the GT1 car and the TTU guys on their Hoosier's. I tried to bail ASAP from anyone quicker overall (who caught me clean).
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Driving everyday. Beating the tar out of on backroads. Etc.

Here's a little something you might find relevant to the discussion:

http://www.catesracing.com/flp/nasa/..._0691.JPG.html In fact if you hit "next" 6 or 7 more times you get a whole series of shots.

That's me from this past Saturday. Taken coming into turn 5 @ Summit Point WV (Main track).

The thing with me is this. I not only own Corvettes (the FRC and a C6Z) but I drive them, like this and autocross them. And I've got a pretty proven record of winning events too. But where the real value is for you is simply that I can try things in a situation similar to what you might find yourself. I don't collect a paycheck at my sales job and go home being I own this place, and I run cars hard, it's important to me to do 'research' so I can make the best recommendations I can.

Well stated. And I always have loved the red glow rotor.

And a little side discussion never hurts. Sometimes it can take ya a little off track, or can tie 3-4 things together. Including the original topic.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
The Carbotech 10&8 combo will do RA and Barber with no issue plus is non corrosive.

Sounds like a possibility.. thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

you have a pm
Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hoping some more One Lap veterans can chime in to offer you some more advice.[/QUOTE]

One thing to remember is you are having to match the pads to the tires you decide to run. The top guys are running MSPP's. I have run them and they are great for OLOA. I would match them up with some XP8's.

I will be running a 2003 Z06 this year on OLOA.
I have run several in the past.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by fmcokc

One thing to remember is you are having to match the pads to the tires you decide to run. The top guys are running MSPP's. I have run them and they are great for OLOA. I would match them up with some XP8's.

I will be running a 2003 Z06 this year on OLOA.
I have run several in the past.

Yeah, the tires are still in the air.

If you have anything to share, about any topic of OLOA, I am listening..lol

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:50 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds2500/

I have them in stock 99% of the time. I just ordered a set for my FRC in fact after doing some other experimenting. I wish they had them for the C6Z because I'd use them on that too.
Sam, I'm a little confused. You offer these pads on your site for GS/C6Z but say they don't offer them...
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, great.

The fact you have ducting just makes me that much more certain of this recommendation.

Front:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=32&ModelID=11

Rear:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=32&PartID=85

If you want some more information....

http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds2500/

I have them in stock 99% of the time. I just ordered a set for my FRC in fact after doing some other experimenting. I wish they had them for the C6Z because I'd use them on that too.

They are NOT race pads. But the best compromise pad I've ever used. I've driven them through winters on my Scion FR-S. I put 20k on a set on that, including track use (20-30 minute sessions), and the rotors looked like new after all that. And when I say winters, I mean Western PA winters, not Florida winters.

Basically, they work stone cold. They have good bite without being on/off like some pads (think Hawk HP+). They modulate really well becasue they have a very linear torque curve. They don't screw with ABS functionability. Pads that are too sticky cause issues because even though the ABS cycles if the pads don't release cleanly it's like the ABS isn't functioning properly. 500*C is close to 1000*F, and over 4 laps with ducting, etc. these are a great choice.

Hope that helps. If you want to discuss other options I have lots. Stoptech, Hawk, PFC, Raybestos, EBC and others.
So the suggestion is to run the Ferodo's on both ends of the car? I guess the stock sizing/bias works fine with a semi-aggressive pad or is a lower TQ pad a good idea at the rear? I'm currently on the StopTech Street Performance pad which I understand is roughly in the ballpark of an HP+. They've been fine for the street, I expect they'll be fine for autoX, but may not be up to OLOA...

Ninja Edit:
Application is a C5Z and will be on PSS's square.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by chetly
Sam, I'm a little confused. You offer these pads on your site for GS/C6Z but say they don't offer them...
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by bags142
Yeah, it will be a high performance summer tire. The rules on tires for 2015 are not out yet. But, we are looking at the Conti DW's for tires.

The car is a 99 FRC with bilstein sport shocks, brake cooling ducts, stock capliers, headers.

Both driver's have 20+ trackdays in corvette's

I have been running PFC 99 front and PFC Z rated rear. I planned on going to the ST-43 brakes F/R for my HPDE weekends next year, but thought the 43's might be a poor choice for the 3200+ street miles and only doing the 4 laps of track driving.

We are trying to do this as cheap as one can while not buying stuff that can't be used on the street or during HPDE's later.
Use the st43's. That's what we'll be on. See you in South Bend. There will a bunch of us in vettes this year it looks like.

Chris Lewis
Shaky Dog Racing
Old 02-24-2015, 11:14 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by dvandentop
what is the entry fee for this year i was thinking about maybe doing it due to the midwest tour this year :d
$3000
Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by bags142
Yeah, the tires are still in the air.

If you have anything to share, about any topic of OLOA, I am listening..lol

Thanks!
Stock up on beef jerky, 5 hour energy drink and bring all your old underwear. Use them and throw them away. Don't bring as many shirts as you think you will need cause you will pick up several at the start and along the way. Don't forget sunscreen, hat, rain gear and a tarp. Just make sure that everything is working right and get AAA. If you don't have the Waze app on your phone, get it. You will be able to join the Waze OLOA group when you get to South Bend. Do whatever you can to get the process of loading up the car after you come off track as streamlined as possible. You don't want to be jacking around in the pits for more than 5 minutes after you finish. Get off track, get packed up, get on the road!!! It almost always a long drive and you've got to get to it or lose sleep.

Oh, and don't talk politics with Brock...he's crazy
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
bags142
Pro

Use the st43's. That's what we'll be on. See you in South Bend. There will a bunch of us in vettes this year it looks like.

Chris Lewis
Shaky Dog Racing
Well, I am still working on brake pads.. I went the Potenza S-04 Pole Position for tires. I could not beat the price they offered for 6 tires.

So trying to "match" the right pad.

Not the stickiest out there, but from what I have read should do well all around in any event and weather.

And I am 1 of 2 members of team Slow and Senile .. looking forward to it!

Kirk Bagwell

Stock up on beef jerky, 5 hour energy drink and bring all your old underwear. Use them and throw them away. Don't bring as many shirts as you think you will need cause you will pick up several at the start and along the way. Don't forget sunscreen, hat, rain gear and a tarp. Just make sure that everything is working right and get AAA. If you don't have the Waze app on your phone, get it. You will be able to join the Waze OLOA group when you get to South Bend. Do whatever you can to get the process of loading up the car after you come off track as streamlined as possible. You don't want to be jacking around in the pits for more than 5 minutes after you finish. Get off track, get packed up, get on the road!!! It almost always a long drive and you've got to get to it or lose sleep.

Oh, and don't talk politics with Brock...he's crazy

Excellent, thank you very much
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris Lewis
Shaky Dog Racing
Any issues with the ST43's grinding off their transfer layer on the transits and then having to re-bed them?

Get notified of new replies

To One Lap of America brake pad help.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Well, I am still working on brake pads.. I went the Potenza S-04 Pole Position for tires. I could not beat the price they offered for 6 tires.

Carbotech XP10 & XP8...
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com

Carbotech XP10 & XP8...
what tire are the 10-8 good up to? R888?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by 383
what tire are the 10-8 good up to? R888?
I would use 12 or 24 in front with R888. 10 and 8 are good for non r comp tires. But there are some cases like the R888 or MPSC where those tires can handle more pad.

Quick Reply: One Lap of America brake pad help.