Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighter car next season = run smaller brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

Default Lighter car next season = run smaller brakes??

Hey everyone,

I know big brakes are the cats azz and all of that, they look fantastic behind rims and give the car an aggressive look. However, there is a point where bigger just isn't helping.

The car should be around 25-2600lbs next season. I have C6 Z51 brake calipers and rotors shoved behind C5 Z06 17" rims in the front, keeps rotating mass smaller with the lighter 17" wheels and less diameter.

Since I am loosing a ton of weight I am thinking about running the C6 caliper (since it is stronger than the C5 variant) and stock C5/C6 rotor sizes. This will save me about 18lbs +- depending on who you ask.

Sure, it wont look as good, but if I am not using them to their full potential why would I bother running a heavier rotor and more expensive one to boot?

I am not a pro racer, or track hound every weekend. I go to events every once and a while to have some fun, some tracks are tight while others are pretty forgiving on brakes (depending on your attitude at the time lol Mosport for example is one).

Think I will be able to use the smaller rotor and not have to worry about fade with less weight vs the z51? Or should I keep using the Z51 setup and stay 18lbs heavier for rotating mass etc.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with your thinking other than the built in stock C6 calipers. They will still taper brake pads, they are still subject to rotor cracking every 3 or 4 days. If you can get a lot of cooling to them they will work. Aftermarket BBKs don't stop the car any better they just stop it more often for a longer period of time. I don't know if the 600 lb less weight will be enough to make up for the caliper deficiencies. There is something to be said in knowing you can trust your brakes to work the same way approaching a specific corner time after time.

Bill
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

In regards to the rotor cracking, the solid C5 may or may not last longer than the drilled z51...but the price difference is significant. Much easier to get the base rotors vs z51 as well up here.

There are certainly downfalls to floating calipers as you noted, I am just not willing YET to go to a fixed caliper. Id like to work on my driving skills more before investing more into a Willwood, APRacing, or the like calipers.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
but the price difference is significant. Much easier to get the base rotors vs z51 as well up here.
That would be my main draw to switching over to the C6 base setup.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock diameter rotors should be just fine with a car that light. No reason to increase diameter if not necessary. It's about the worst place one could add weight to a car. Increasing diameter is even worse than increasing weight on a rotating part. You may want to consider stock rotors with a lightweight 4 piston caliper. There are many to choose from. Some places even have kits that include the brackets. Most all the 4 piston stock car type calipers use the same pad shape. I don't remember the FMSI number, but in PFC it is 751 and Hawk it is an HB101. That pad is pretty much built for a 12.9" rotor similar to the stock C5 rotors. The factory caliper setup is actually pretty heavy. You can later further remove weight by building custom aluminum hats and using rotor rings.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The theory is correct, just as much brake as you need to get it done, more is slowing you down.

For autox (not track) I have gotten some used rotors turned down to the min & slapped them on.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:08 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd call TCE Todd. He's got the products and knowledge you need. I run SL6 wilwoods on stock rotor sizes. calipers were about $500 when I replaced mine this year because one was leaking after years of use and I bought them used. I think I just didn't rebuild them correctly.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

He sure knows his stuff! I've spoken with him before in regards to a dual m/c pedal setup. Going with a Wilwood floor mount pedal setup from him when the time comes seeing as he has helped me so much in the past.

500 each, yes? Otherwise I could probably sell the C6 z51 brakes to help cover it...

Get notified of new replies

To Lighter car next season = run smaller brakes??

Quick Reply: Lighter car next season = run smaller brakes??