Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 functional rear spoiler questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 functional rear spoiler questions

Alright so I started autocrossing last summer and this winter I want to add a little bit of aero. I already have read the book competition car aerodynamics by Simon Mcbeth and understand the purpose of spoilers.

Now would a spoiler like the one below Be beneficial for autox and maybe 1 or 2 hpde? Thank you for the input!
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2014, 03:09 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I can't see a spoiler doing much of anything for auto x. The speeds and cornering are to slow and not sustained. Even with a full length wing. But they look cool!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There are way more things you can do to your car for autocrossing that will make a much bigger difference than aero. It does make some difference but there are no high speed corners (90+) on an autocross course, which is where aero makes a big improvement for road courses. If your suspension was set up perfectly and you can drive the wheels off the car, then sure go ahead with the aero.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
Alright so I started autocrossing last summer and this winter I want to add a little bit of aero. I already have read the book competition car aerodynamics by Simon Mcbeth and understand the purpose of spoilers.

Now would a spoiler like the one below Be beneficial for autox and maybe 1 or 2 hpde? Thank you for the input!
If you've read Simon's book, you know how effective even a simple spoiler can be. Since you are going to use it for dual purpose. I would suggest two options.
1. Make the angle of attack adjustable. You will run a significatnly more aggresive angle in autocross than on the track.
2. Make two sizes, one about 8-12" for autox, And one 3-6" for HPDE.

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I can't see a spoiler doing much of anything for auto x. The speeds and cornering are to slow and not sustained. Even with a full length wing. But they look cool!
This is absolutely not true. Both these and autox specific wings can make appreciable downforce at speeds as low as 20 MPH. Now, these same set ups aren't going to be real effecient at triple digit speeds. But aero is tuned, just like any other automotive system.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:46 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
If you've read Simon's book, you know how effective even a simple spoiler can be. Since you are going to use it for dual purpose. I would suggest two options.
1. Make the angle of attack adjustable. You will run a significatnly more aggresive angle in autocross than on the track.

This is absolutely not true. Both these and autox specific wings can make appreciable downforce at speeds as low as 20 MPH. Now, these same set ups aren't going to be real effecient at triple digit speeds. But aero is tuned, just like any other automotive system.

Oh. You read that somewhere?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:42 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Oh. You read that somewhere?
Nope. Tried it first. Read about it later.

What I was surprised to see in the book, was just how efficient such a simple addition was. Based on CFD flow patters.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

A spoiler like this will put you right into SSP AFAIK, unless you're able to run CAM. Is the rest of your car up to SSP standards? You might screw yourself tottaly on PAX with this move.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel

I agree with RF. Besides slow autocross there are high speed auto
cross. I run a diffuser and wing (adjust) and I have a lot of down
force ,even in autocross.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

So anyway....skip the spoiler that will do nothing...or as some think .000001 sec matter. Do coil overs and great tires. Car transformation.
Or do the wing and go road racing you won't want to chase cones anymore

Get notified of new replies

To C5 functional rear spoiler questions

Quick Reply: C5 functional rear spoiler questions