Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice needed- C6 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension advice needed- C6 coilovers

Hi all,
I need some advice regarding suspension for my C6.

To make a long story short, I have a set of coilovers on the car now, love the ride and handling improvements. However, this particular product is discontinued and the manufacturer has basically told me that they do not have any idea when they can or if they will be able to rebuild my blown shock. As such, I have to look for a replacement setup as I cannot drive the car with a blown shock, nor does it pass safety inspection, for obvious reasons.

This is for a car that is a street car, but I want it to be track-capable, as that is where the car is going to end up, eventually. My budget is around $2k; I can't stretch to $3k, so I guess KW, Ohlins and Penske are definitely out. There are not too many options left- LG, DRM or ???

For under $3k, is it a better choice to go with DRM Bilsteins and save a ton of money? The dampers currently in my car were great until one of the seals blew. I've driven DRMs on my friend's car, but I didn't think they offered the quality of damping that I got with my setup. However, my shocks are non-serviceable for the time being, so I need to go with something else.

It's a Z51 with CCW 18/19 setup with Z06 sized tires, stock suspension other than the dampers. I want better damping quality than stock, don't mind a stiffer ride and I would like to increase my roll stiffness a tad (but that I can do with rollbars as well). I know with a good shock, the valving and the damping performance allows you to run a higher spring rate without much penalty in ride quality, that's what I'm looking for, but the $500/corner constraint makes it tough.

Last edited by cleanerPA; 11-12-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:55 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

What's wrong with LG GT2 coils? I installed a set on a friends Z, and they are great a coil for the money and LG isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Bilstiens from LG or DRM are hard to beat, they will last you damn near forever, I have a couple sets out there that have been on cars for almost 10 years!
However if you need a **** to turn the new line from RideTech looks well built, they are right at your price point and they are adjustable.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Bilstiens from LG or DRM are hard to beat, they will last you damn near forever, I have a couple sets out there that have been on cars for almost 10 years!
However if you need a **** to turn the new line from RideTech looks well built, they are right at your price point and they are adjustable.

save a few bucks and get a set from LG.
second thought right now LG has a few sets of rebuilt coilovers for a real good price
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the damper curve on the LG G2 product page equivalent to what is delivered to customers or just an attempt to show repeatability?

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...roducts_id=272
Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
Is the damper curve on the LG G2 product page equivalent to what is delivered to customers or just an attempt to show repeatability?

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...roducts_id=272
Knowing Lou that is a graph of his shock and not just a representation
Lou is a bit rough around the edges but he always delivers the goods!
and doesn't mince wordsabout others who do not.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Knowing Lou that is a graph of his shock and not just a representation
Lou is a bit rough around the edges but he always delivers the goods!
and doesn't mince wordsabout others who do not.
What you see on our site is actual graphs from our G2 coil overs.

Now with that being said, they are custom built to order and we do have different valve stacks that we use depending on the car's setup, customer use, springs being used.....ect. That being said I did not post every single setup we use but the ones posted are some of the more popular valve stacks used.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

You have options.

Here's one I'd consider: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=31&ModelID=11

If it helps I've had a lot of shocks on various cars. Ohlins, MCS, Koni (production and 2812's), Bilstein, etc. I'm currently running a set of the Ridetech/Fox shocks in non-coil over on my 2000 FRC and have compared them directly to the Koni Sports that were on that car previously (the former owner wanted them back for his C5Z). I took the opportunity to try something new. But not on a whim.

Why did I try these? Simple. I watched cars run on them at an Optima event not long ago and on the whole the Ridetech cars were better planted than many with other dampers installed. Fox isn't some new damper company, they are pretty proven and they are collaborating. And, frankly they value looked to be there with the pricing *IF* they worked.

I'm happy to tell you, they do.

If you'd like to discuss the shocks more at length, I'm happy to if you want to call. It's kind of hard to get details across by email or PM, etc. But I'll tell you they have plenty of rebound. The springs are cheap to swap if you wish to change rates (I'm a Hyperco Distributor and springs are around $60 each).
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Thanks to all who replied with advice, it is very appreciated.

I will definitely have to come to a decision soon as I cannot get my car inspected, nor can I legally drive it until the shock issue is fixed.

The one thing that I found out so far in my research is that you definitely want to go with a damper that can be easily rebuilt. As such, KW are definitely out (although they were quite overbudget to begin with).

That leaves me with Koni, Bilstein, Ohlins and Penske as the obvious choices. These four companies' dampers seem to have a large number of firms that can repair/rebuild/revalve your dampers, all around the USA. AST, MCS, Moton, JRZ and similar companies have far fewer service outlets. I will have to contact the various vendors and learn about the differences between the LG, DRM and MTI coilovers, as they all use Bilstein dampers, but are different- I think.

Anyone using Penske or Ohlins dampers? The Ohlins are probably way out of my price range, as is the Penske, but if this is the better setup, I will do DRM Bilsteins as an interim solution and get better suspension as the budget allows.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanerPA

I will definitely have to come to a decision soon as I cannot get my car inspected, nor can I legally drive it until the shock issue is fixed.

The one thing that I found out so far in my research is that you definitely want to go with a damper that can be easily rebuilt. As such, KW are definitely out (although they were quite overbudget to begin with).

That leaves me with Koni, Bilstein, Ohlins and Penske as the obvious choices. These four companies' dampers seem to have a large number of firms that can repair/rebuild/revalve your dampers, all around the USA. AST, MCS, Moton, JRZ and similar companies have far fewer service outlets. I will have to contact the various vendors and learn about the differences between the LG, DRM and MTI coilovers, as they all use Bilstein dampers, but are different- I think.

Anyone using Penske or Ohlins dampers? The Ohlins are probably way out of my price range, as is the Penske, but if this is the better setup, I will do DRM Bilsteins as an interim solution and get better suspension as the budget allows.
Occasionally sets of the higher end shocks will wind up on ebay for a decent price...

The Pfadt double adjustables were ohlins units and could be rebuilt by any ohlins rebuilder.

If you still have the other unnamed coilovers (assuming pfadt), I think you could still get them rebuilt - there is a company call feal who will rebuild the pfadt singles.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Ridetech Shocks do have a 1,000,001 mile warranty! No need for rebuilds If you do wear them out, we will replace them at no charge!

Last edited by chase@ridetech; 11-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:28 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by el es tu
Occasionally sets of the higher end shocks will wind up on ebay for a decent price...

The Pfadt double adjustables were ohlins units and could be rebuilt by any ohlins rebuilder.

If you still have the other unnamed coilovers (assuming pfadt), I think you could still get them rebuilt - there is a company call feal who will rebuild the pfadt singles.

Thanks, they are not Pfadt. I did find Feal, I should call them to see what they say.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by chase@ridetech
Our Ridetech Shocks do have a 1,000,001 mile warranty! No need for rebuilds If you do wear them out, we will rebuild them at no charge!
If Sam Strano is suggesting Ridetech, I'm definitely swayed a tad, as I know he knows his stuff.

My only concern is that your company is an unknown. A warranty is no good if the company isn't around to honor it. Are you part of Fox Racing or are you a separate company?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 PM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Sam Strano is suggesting Ridetech, I'm definitely swayed a tad, as I know he knows his stuff.

My only concern is that your company is an unknown. A warranty is no good if the company isn't around to honor it. Are you part of Fox Racing or are you a separate company?
Although we are new to the Corvette industry, we have been building street rod, pro-touring, muscle car, classic truck, and modern automotive suspension components for the last 19 years. We work hand in hand with Fox to create the best valve code for each application.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I'm working with them a bit too, discussing my thoughts about this and that. And Ridetech isn't a newbie company.

I need to say this however, it's not always the name you know that does the best job. I'm no fan of the Pfadt shocks particularly the singles. I have replaced more than a few that have failed. I've had customers run those after Koni and go right back to Koni. They have cheap, hard, urethane bumpstops that are long and you hit with nromal driving... and then split in pretty short order.

One thing to remember here is that I carry most of these brands. I don't have the personal "I build this" bias. Even when I do make parts, I only do it when I have a specific thing I think I can do better... but I still carry other brands so you have options.
I'm just trying to give you what I see as workable options here.

Personally if you are looking for a high end shock, I'd recommend MCS. They are the original Moton USA gang. They do not have breakage issues. I've had a set myself, of remote Doubles. But they come close to fitting your price range unless you want to just get singles and frankly there they value isn't really there. I think there are better value single options.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
What you see on our site is actual graphs from our G2 coil overs.

Now with that being said, they are custom built to order and we do have different valve stacks that we use depending on the car's setup, customer use, springs being used.....ect. That being said I did not post every single setup we use but the ones posted are some of the more popular valve stacks used.
Anthony is the man for the right set up....I purchased a set of coil over and matching sway bar set, installed it at home, then balanced the car. What a difference in handling performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension advice needed- C6 coilovers

Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Mostly you have to decide if you want to spend money on adjustable dampers or not. I don't abide by the notion that one setting is the best period and adjust shocks depending on a number of factors like feel, response, tire construction (different sizes, brands, etc), even surface.

There is a reason you see so many adjustable dampers out there, and more and more cars coming with some sort of damping adjustment, because you can affect a bit change in how the car acts and reacts. Just something to consider when spending coil-over type money.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Non, single, double, triple.....

My thoughts....

For most customers that have a street car or a weekend race car a non adjustable setup can work very well in a number of respects.
  • You don't have to screw with changing settings every run
  • You don't have to 'dial' the car in
  • More time spent on driver development
  • Using a proven package by those who have done this for years

Sometimes having to many adjustments on a car can leave a driver/crew scratching their head on what to do and you can end up spending to much time on turning ***** rather than focusing on the car/track.

The non adjustable G2's served us very well for a number of years in World Challenge, and won a number of Pro level races against some of those $7k and $10k three way adjustable Penske's. We just spent the time to get the setup on the Vette's right and have the ability to custom build them for a customer.

Am I saying non adjustable are the way to go for everyone? No not at all. If we are talking about those racing, or possibly switching between classes, or doing a number of things an adjustable might be a better solution.

There are a number of ways to do this. On our G2 setups, for years (and even now) you could always change them by tearing the shock apart, and changing the shim stack or piston valve to change the damper settings. This would give you much more control over what you want to do, but it does take more knowledge and understanding than turning a ****. Great thing is that it does leave the door open to change the setup.

We will, in the near future, have a single and double adjustable G2 setup for the car along with a full blown race double adjustable setup that we first developed on the GrandAm car. Do not expect these to fall in the $2500/set pricing for a coil over. They will be exactly what we have raced on over the years and you can expect no less than 24hrs of Daytona durability from them.

At the same time, we do offer the GT2's, which give you a single adjustable shock, and height adjustment for those street/strip/weekend warriors as well not wanting to get into the high end coil overs.

It's all about options, you just have to pick the right one for you.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I run LG shocks and love them. My suggestion is call Anthony, tell him about your car, your driving style, some track times you run and follow what he tells you. I don't think you can go wrong doing this. LG stands behind their products and know of what they speak from the race track!

Jim

Quick Reply: Suspension advice needed- C6 coilovers