Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vid camera and data

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:35 AM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vid camera and data

How do i get data on my vids ? I have 2 go pros hero 3s.....I have no clue on how you guys get the data on the screen . MPH, TACK, track time...
Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 AM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hankman
How do i get data on my vids ? I have 2 go pros hero 3s.....I have no clue on how you guys get the data on the screen . MPH, TACK, track time...
Thanks
And how much is it ?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:41 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up the app "track attack" on your phone
Old 11-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a used Traqmate for sale if interested...
Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

If you are not using GM track data, then you need to purchase a data recorder of some sort. Aim solo, traqmate or the like.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Your avatar shows a C7, so I don't know if the C7's are OBDII compliant. So assuming they are, here is what I did to get to the point of overlaying car data onto the overlay:
1. I have a Gopro Hero3+
2. For elimination of wind noise, I bought an Audio Technica ATR 3350 lavalier microphone, and placed the mic under the carpet inside the car as close to the exh tips as possible.
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments
3. Bought a GoPro microphone adapter cable and carved a little hole in my camera case so I could plug it in and connect the mic to the gopro.
4. Bought a Gopoint Technology BT1A Bluetooth OBDII: http://gopoint-technology.mybigcomme...oid-and-apple/
5. Use my iPhone 4 for data acquisition It bluetooth connects to the BT1A and the app listed in the next step samples car data and creates a .csv file (a spreadsheet)
6. bought trackaddict software:http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html
7. Bought Racerender processing software: http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

Now how is it done. Well you mount the Gopro where you want it. Mine is mounted to my windshield right in front of my rear view mirror. I ran the mic cable (I have a 2000 FRC) inside the headliner, down the B pillar and along the trim to the well of the trunk area .

I mounted my iPhone on my dash with a Garmin GPS adapter (I'll do a write-up this winter showing all my how I did it's)

To start data acquisition on the iphone, you go through a sequence of first [bluetooth] pairing your BT1A to the phone and making sure the BT1A is talking to the phone. You also enable GPS in the phone so it is getting GPS signals. Then, turn on privacy so you don't get calls while on the track, and turn auto lock to never. Don't forget to resotre your phone settings. There isn't much instruction on the use of the trackaddict app, but it is easy to figure out even for an old f%&t like me. Then, when you get to the grid, turn on your camera and data acquisition, and have a blast.

Now a word of warning. Some HPDE events do not permit lap timing and they may make you take your phone out. This software does give you lap times, so if this is a rule, walk a little carefully. Also, Lockton Insurance does not cover you if the event is timed, so this may be the basis for this. You might ask if you can mount it in the glovebox, but if I found this to be a rule, I respect the rule and do not use this system at that event. i havent tried, but you may be able to turn off the GPS data acquisition and not get lap times to satisfy club rules.

So at the end of the session, you have your recording in your go pro and the data file in your phone. You don't boil them in a pot to blend them. The Trackaddict app asks you how you want to deal with the data. It has a function that allows you to email it to yourself. The .csv files are usually 2-3 meg, so not a big deal to email.

So, you pack up after the event and head home. After resting, you get on your home computer and load your racerender software. You go through a selection sequence of how you want to present your video, and you pick the view you want. I usually pick g-forces, tach and speedo, and track layout. Racerender asks you to load the video and the corresponding data file. Since Racerender and Trackaddict are sold by the same people, the data handshakes pretty well. However, synchronizing the data with the video is a bit time consuming because they start at substantially different times, Quaff a couple brewskis to calm your nerves, it will work eventually and you will have pretty good presentation.

Now, the video is as good as you want it to be, but the data presentation is not quite as smooth. The tach needle is a little jumpy, but for me it is close enough to create a reasonably decent presentation for the money. This is at least a pretty inexpensive way to make neat videos, but be prepared to sit a computer for a couple hours per video. My videos did help me improve my heel-toe shifting and showed that I could get a downshift earlier in a braking zone, so they are very helpful. You can also see to get on throttle earlier in a corner.

I'm not intending to start a discussion on which system is the best. I almost bought Harry's lap timer, but the Racerender product line spoke to me. And, please don't take this as a sales pitch. Manys the time I bought something only to have a friend tell me i could have done better.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM
r1owner
Racer

Or... if you have an iPhone (or Android, slightly less capable with the software at this point), you can download Harry's Laptimer for like 20 bucks... it records the video and audio and overlays track information.

In addition, you can buy a cheap OBD-II wi-fi device and get car information to overlay the data as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry's Laptimer also interfaces with GoPro3 and can remotely turn it on. Slightly more involved to get the data overlay onto the GoPro video, but it can be done. Here's an overlay with my GoPro3 white edition.

I didn't have the proper insulator in the mount, so the sound was messed up (so I turned it off), and the video contrast was blown.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For those of us that don't have so many strict rules on timing, (wild wild west!), I'll second the vote on the TrackAddict/RaceRender approach.. I tried Harry's as well, but like the look of TA better, and as stated above, the tie in to RaceRender makes it possible to create a very custom (gauges too), nice video, with as many camera angles as you want.

Here's an example of what I have going with this set up ... Go Pro 3+ front, Go Pro 3 rear (both silver), a Pro-sumer JVC HM150 mounted on my Harness bar for interior shot, and partial sound (I also run a lavalier mic, from this camera, but mine is run through the battery compartment and out the back of the car above the license plate to hang down outside the car right above the tail pipes) ... this mixed in (25 %--it's loud back there!) with the sound from the front Go Pro on the windshield (no mic, just normal open case) works well for me. IPhone 5s for the app -- you'll need a good mount too for the phone.. I recommend RAM.

I also use the Go Point OBDII bluetooth dongle that plugs into the port on the car below the dash... this acquires RPM, throttle, temps, gearing, etc, ... (you can run the Go Pro from the TA app as well, but I find it to be a bit quirky, so I prefer to just turn on all cameras manually). The iPhone 5s and app is a fairly inexpensive way to do this, but it is NOT accurate... there's plenty of threads on this subject, and is why most serious racers will use a SOLO DL or something with better/more accurate GPS capability than a phone... there are amps you can buy for the phone to better the GPS signal, but I'm not racing for a living so EXACT lap times are not critical... But be warned it can be as much as a couple tenths off!

Also as stated, the editing, especially with 3 cameras to really be IN SYNC, and learning curve of the RR program can take time ... but like anything else, if you do it enough times it gets easier and faster ... Rendering takes time too, especially at full resolution, but, in the end it's enjoyable to have your day documented, and serves as great study for where one can improve. Also, its much faster with say ONE camera... the program tends to bog down with multiple cameras in edit mode.

Here's my production from a SoCal track day, SOW, Nov 1st ... view in full HD/1080 setting for best quality..

Old 11-18-2014, 02:47 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
For those of us that don't have so many strict rules on timing, (wild wild west!), I'll second the vote on the TrackAddict/RaceRender approach.. I tried Harry's as well, but like the look of TA better, and as stated above, the tie in to RaceRender makes it possible to create a very custom (gauges too), nice video, with as many camera angles as you want.

Here's an example of what I have going with this set up ... Go Pro 3+ front, Go Pro 3 rear (both silver), a Pro-sumer JVC HM150 mounted on my Harness bar for interior shot, and partial sound (I also run a lavalier mic, from this camera, but mine is run through the battery compartment and out the back of the car above the license plate to hang down outside the car right above the tail pipes) ... this mixed in (25 %--it's loud back there!) with the sound from the front Go Pro on the windshield (no mic, just normal open case) works well for me. IPhone 5s for the app -- you'll need a good mount too for the phone.. I recommend RAM.

I also use the Go Point OBDII bluetooth dongle that plugs into the port on the car below the dash... this acquires RPM, throttle, temps, gearing, etc, ... (you can run the Go Pro from the TA app as well, but I find it to be a bit quirky, so I prefer to just turn on all cameras manually). The iPhone 5s and app is a fairly inexpensive way to do this, but it is NOT accurate... there's plenty of threads on this subject, and is why most serious racers will use a SOLO DL or something with better/more accurate GPS capability than a phone... there are amps you can buy for the phone to better the GPS signal, but I'm not racing for a living so EXACT lap times are not critical... But be warned it can be as much as a couple tenths off!

Also as stated, the editing, especially with 3 cameras to really be IN SYNC, and learning curve of the RR program can take time ... but like anything else, if you do it enough times it gets easier and faster ... Rendering takes time too, especially at full resolution, but, in the end it's enjoyable to have your day documented, and serves as great study for where one can improve. Also, its much faster with say ONE camera... the program tends to bog down with multiple cameras in edit mode.

Here's my production from a SoCal track day, SOW, Nov 1st ... view in full HD/1080 setting for best quality..
Very nice setup! I thought I read somewhere that someone honks their horn real quick before each session to make it easier to sync up video.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r1owner
Very nice setup! I thought I read somewhere that someone honks their horn real quick before each session to make it easier to sync up video.
Horn honk, or hand claps, are certainly a good place to start for syncing, but depending on location of said horn or hands, slight delay can happen in one camera or another... I'm a bit of a stickler for video sync (do a lot of it in my profession) so I spend extra time making sure its as close as possible for all cameras being locked and in sync with the data ... but most of it is still by eye and a bit of a guess ...

Ironically, the horn honk is the one thing I always forget to do!

Get notified of new replies

To Vid camera and data

Quick Reply: Vid camera and data