Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe location to drill and tap for diff temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Safe location to drill and tap for diff temp sensor

I'd like to add a diff temp sensor to my 07 Z06. Anybody know a safe spot to add an 1/8 NPT port to differential case? Some place near the drain would be ideal...

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Default Answer: right by the 'A' in "GETRAG"

I pulled the drain adapter (pump inlet) out and felt around inside. I could see and feel the ring gear so I kept the hole in line with it. I tested the arrangement by sticking a drill bit an inch further in and rotated the wheels to test for interference.

Drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT, then use the Stack 1/8 NPT to 6mm adapter. Sensor is a Stack ST991
Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Why go to the trouble to drill and tap ? Just use the stock drain plug location. Get a proper size adaptor to mate your sensor to the drain plug hole.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Why go to the trouble to drill and tap ? Just use the stock drain plug location. Get a proper size adaptor to mate your sensor to the drain plug hole.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM
parsonsj
Racer

It's not a drain plug on the C6 Z06. It's an adapter to the fluid cooler circuit.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

You can put and adapter and tee off it. You can also go out near the Drivers side cover, it is away from the ring gear. You would be better off not to though. The diff does not really get that hot, just make sure you have the oil filled and you will be good. Since you have a Z you can also take out the line on the bottom that feed the pump, install and AN line and use and adapter to use a factory ECT sender. You can get the AN fitting that fit the pump and the lower elbow. This way you just use a 6 an line with fittings. this way it keeps you from having leaks that could be associated with drilling and tapping the housing.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 AM
parsonsj
Racer

That was my original plan (to tee off the cooler plumbing), and I even converted the lower fitting to AN6 ORB, but the plumbing to adapt to the Stack sensor (can't easily use a GM sensor with the Stack data recorder) was god-awful, with two pipe threads in the setup. All those fittings have more chances of a leak compared to the single pipe thread in the case, in my estimation.

The Stack sensor extends 1.5" (40 mm) and uses a 6 mm thread. So the direct to the case method is better: the sensor is measuring the fluid temp in the sump of the diff case as intended.

As far as the diff not getting hot, that's not my understanding. I've been told that one of the reasons for the transmissions overheating on track days was due to the load of also cooling the diff. With high fidelity sensors and data recording, I'll know for sure, one way or another.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

There are also some threads regarding hot differentials, some to the point of melting plastic fittings. I'm still trying to figure out a way to adapt a differential cooler in a way that doesn't necessitate cutting car components like fender wells, brake ducts, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Safe location to drill and tap for diff temp sensor

Quick Reply: Safe location to drill and tap for diff temp sensor