Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA and Driving schools Q/A

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:33 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default SCCA and Driving schools Q/A

I'm due to get my ERL 454ci stroker back soon and I have all the mods listed in my signature. I have NO IDEA how to drive this beast but I'd like to learn and maybe try to compete in SCCA events here in the SE.

I live in Atlanta so Road Atlanta is close and a beautiful course. I was there for the Lemans Races this past October.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I should start to learn to drive and approximate cost?

Thank you
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion, there are few W2W race groups where a novice with a modded Corvette would be embraced. I would try CHIN, Hooked on Driving, Apex, or other HPDE group which instruct or provide instruction at Road Atlanta. You can Google any of these AND Google the Road Atlanta site to see when they have instruction and with whom. You can sign up on line. I know CHIN does HPDEs there because I instruct with them. Leave your ego at home and come out and have FUN.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Quick Google search says Skip Barber runs driver school at Road Atlanta.

http://www.roadatlanta.com/events/racing-school

After you do that, do a few track days. Then look for a specific SCCA type of school or another school depending on your comfort level.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rexracer77
Quick Google search says Skip Barber runs driver school at Road Atlanta.

http://www.roadatlanta.com/events/racing-school

After you do that, do a few track days. Then look for a specific SCCA type of school or another school depending on your comfort level.
Thanks guys! Good info.

How often do you think you replace your rotors/ breaks and tires when you drive these courses? I know it depends on how hard you drive... just trying to get an idea of what I need to budget for those expenses given they aren't cheap replacements.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup
Thanks guys! Good info.

How often do you think you replace your rotors/ breaks and tires when you drive these courses? I know it depends on how hard you drive... just trying to get an idea of what I need to budget for those expenses given they aren't cheap replacements.
For tires I would recommend "scrub" (used) racing tires from Forum vendor GT Racing tires. They have used race tires from about $100ea and they will last longer than street tires. Save your expensive street tires for street usage. Brake FLUID should be changed out for Castrol SRF or Motul 600 race fluid. Brake PADS will run from about $250 per axle set to over $400/set depending on manufacturer. There are several vendors on this Forum who will weigh in on this (Carbotech Adam etc). For your first track day, you "may" find that your stock pads work fine, but as you gain experience and become more aggressive, you will find that a true RACE pad is required. You will eventually need cooling for your brakes and for your engine and maybe even transmission. Set your DIC to indicate engine oil temperature, and drive by that. Never allow your oil temperature to exceed 300 degrees, and run some slow laps if it gets over 280. Remember to Have Fun
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
For tires I would recommend "scrub" (used) racing tires from Forum vendor GT Racing tires. They have used race tires from about $100ea and they will last longer than street tires. Save your expensive street tires for street usage. Brake FLUID should be changed out for Castrol SRF or Motul 600 race fluid. Brake PADS will run from about $250 per axle set to over $400/set depending on manufacturer. There are several vendors on this Forum who will weigh in on this (Carbotech Adam etc). For your first track day, you "may" find that your stock pads work fine, but as you gain experience and become more aggressive, you will find that a true RACE pad is required. You will eventually need cooling for your brakes and for your engine and maybe even transmission. Set your DIC to indicate engine oil temperature, and drive by that. Never allow your oil temperature to exceed 300 degrees, and run some slow laps if it gets over 280. Remember to Have Fun
Thank you sir. That information is PRICELESS. I'll keep all that in mind. I'm hoping to have my Z here sometime in December. Motor is almost done. I still need to have the valve covers changed to say 454 instead of 445

Last edited by starchedup; 11-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:00 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Based on the initial post it sounds like you are new to the world of track days, time trials, wheel-to-wheel racing, etc. and are looking for ways to get your car on track and learn the techniques of high performance driving. You also mention possibly competing, specifically with SCCA.

Assuming thats true then here are a few basics:
- Most people start out by first attending some 'track days'. These are often called DE (driving experience/event), HPDE (high performance DE), PDX (performance driving experience) or Driving Schools.
- There are tons of these events, many in your region, at the various tracks. These events are promoted by a variety of organizations. Everyone from nationally recognized associations (SCCA, NASA), to marque specific clubs (PCA, ACNA, BMW, NCM, etc), to private organizations (Chin, Trackdaze), to track's themselves (the track owners promoting their own events)...any many others.
- Almost all of these events are in the form of a school where newbys start out in the 'green' run group and have an instructor in the right seat. Also classroom sessions.
- Different 'run groups' represent different levels of experience. For example NASA uses HPDE1, 2, 3, 4. Each run group goes out on track together for a 'session' - generally 20-30 minutes. Generally four sessions per day.
- Passing on track is usually done with a 'point by' - where the slower car in front points a arm out the window to left or right to indicate which side the overtaking car should pass on.
- As you attend more events and gain experience, the organizers will move you up to higher level run groups and you will become 'soloed' and not need an instructor in-car to go out.

So thats a brief explanation of how most of us learn the art of driving. Its not the only way certainly, but the most common. There are also several organized driving schools in the country including Skip Barber, Spring Mountain, Boundaraunt, and several others. They can be quite pricey to attend but they compress the learning curve into a few days and some can even grant you a competition license at the end. Lemons and Chump car are also ways to get on track - and they don't require any experience to speak of. They are anomolies in this area, most event organizers are very particular about instructing people and making them better drivers and keeping the run groups populated with drivers of like experience and ability.

Once you become a proficient and experienced driver, only then is it time to start thinking about competing (Chump and Lemons not withstanding). Generally there are two categories: time trial (you against the clock) and wheel-to-wheel. Time trials have relatively few car prepartion requirements. W2W racing has extensive car and driver prep requirements (full cage, fire supression, racing suite, competition license, etc). Also for the most part W2W puts cars into classes depending on type of car and level of modification. Note that an unprepared car would never be competitive against other cars built specifically to class rules.

Thats just a brief glimpse of the world us 'Autocrossing and Roadracing' enthusiasts inhabit. The process of getting into this takes many different forms, I have only touched on the most common ways to do it.

HTH,
Brad
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by argonaut
Based on the initial post it sounds like you are new to the world of track days, time trials, wheel-to-wheel racing, etc. and are looking for ways to get your car on track and learn the techniques of high performance driving. You also mention possibly competing, specifically with SCCA.

Assuming thats true then here are a few basics:
- Most people start out by first attending some 'track days'. These are often called DE (driving experience/event), HPDE (high performance DE), PDX (performance driving experience) or Driving Schools.
- There are tons of these events, many in your region, at the various tracks. These events are promoted by a variety of organizations. Everyone from nationally recognized associations (SCCA, NASA), to marque specific clubs (PCA, ACNA, BMW, NCM, etc), to private organizations (Chin, Trackdaze), to track's themselves (the track owners promoting their own events)...any many others.
- Almost all of these events are in the form of a school where newbys start out in the 'green' run group and have an instructor in the right seat. Also classroom sessions.
- Different 'run groups' represent different levels of experience. For example NASA uses HPDE1, 2, 3, 4. Each run group goes out on track together for a 'session' - generally 20-30 minutes. Generally four sessions per day.
- Passing on track is usually done with a 'point by' - where the slower car in front points a arm out the window to left or right to indicate which side the overtaking car should pass on.
- As you attend more events and gain experience, the organizers will move you up to higher level run groups and you will become 'soloed' and not need an instructor in-car to go out.

So thats a brief explanation of how most of us learn the art of driving. Its not the only way certainly, but the most common. There are also several organized driving schools in the country including Skip Barber, Spring Mountain, Boundaraunt, and several others. They can be quite pricey to attend but they compress the learning curve into a few days and some can even grant you a competition license at the end. Lemons and Chump car are also ways to get on track - and they don't require any experience to speak of. They are anomolies in this area, most event organizers are very particular about instructing people and making them better drivers and keeping the run groups populated with drivers of like experience and ability.

Once you become a proficient and experienced driver, only then is it time to start thinking about competing (Chump and Lemons not withstanding). Generally there are two categories: time trial (you against the clock) and wheel-to-wheel. Time trials have relatively few car prepartion requirements. W2W racing has extensive car and driver prep requirements (full cage, fire supression, racing suite, competition license, etc). Also for the most part W2W puts cars into classes depending on type of car and level of modification. Note that an unprepared car would never be competitive against other cars built specifically to class rules.

Thats just a brief glimpse of the world us 'Autocrossing and Roadracing' enthusiasts inhabit. The process of getting into this takes many different forms, I have only touched on the most common ways to do it.

HTH,
Brad
Thanks. I prefer the more standardized approach so "track days" where some rides with me and instructs me would make me feel more comfortable.

I'm going to look into that. Where is the thread/ section that talks about all the track days in my region (Atlanta)?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Excellent post by Argonaut. I will add my personal opinion that attending a professional school such as Bondurant or Spring Mountain is the best way to start as opposed to track days with "coaches" unless you find a highly qualified professional instructor. Most DE coaches are intermediate level drivers with just a very limited knowledge base and you risk getting poor instruction and an insufficient foundation for racing. The professional school will teach the proper fundamentals both in a class room and in the car to get you on the right track from the start. Unfortunately, by adding even more power to an already super fast car, you made your car that much more difficult to drive on a track. If you decide racing is something you want to pursue, you will be better off keeping your car as a street car and buying an existing caged race car preferably one with 400 hp or less that already fits into an scca or nasa class IMHO. Good luck .
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
l8te apx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooked on Driving is worth a look....they do events in the SE and do in car

Thanks. I prefer the more standardized approach so "track days" where some rides with me and instructs me would make me feel more comfortable.

I'm going to look into that. Where is the thread/ section that talks about all the track days in my region (Atlanta)?
coaching for those that are new to the track experience. www.hookedondriving.com for details on their programs. They are having an event today at Roebling Road and again on Jan 30. Road Atlanta on Sat-Sun Feb 14-15...Happy Valentines Day. For advanced drivers Daytona on Dec 5-6. You learn at your own pace.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE=redtopz;1588313714]Excellent post by Argonaut. I will add my personal opinion that attending a professional school such as Bondurant or Spring Mountain is the best way to start as opposed to track days with "coaches" unless you find a highly qualified professional instructor. Most DE coaches are intermediate level drivers with just a very limited knowledge base and you risk getting poor instruction and an insufficient foundation for racing. The professional school will teach the proper fundamentals both in a class room and in the car to get you on the right track from the start. QUOTE]

This is an important point. Most ARE intermediate drivers. Many have never attended an instructor school, just have a couple years running laps.
I teach and evaluate new instructors in our SCCA Instructors Program and the experience level on these guys is all over the place.

If you just want to run your car on the tracks in HPDE, these instructors will be OK.

If you really want to race, get pro instruction.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

This is one of the better places to look as most events are listed here. You can actually register for a lot of them through the same site.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/

Just input your zip code and a mileage radius to see the events in that area. I prefer to tell people to attend BMW events if they are a novice since the club works hard to bring new people along and the various chapters around the country work together to improve the events and methods of instruction. There are a fair number of people who advanced through the BMW club events from novice to club racer. They are open to all makes of cars although the club does give preference to club members over non members. I have never owned a BMW but I have been a club member for close to 20 years.

I entered Road Atlanta into the search block for the website and saw several events that are coming up before the end of the year.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-21-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately we collectively on this forum are not good at keeping such a list. Its been attempted in the past but not very successfully.

So what's a person to do?
- Try going to the websites of tracks near you. They usually have a 'club calendar' (not the main professional events but rather a section that shows what's happening on track each day). The listing will normally display the name of each group who has rented the track each day. These can be private groups, motorcycles and other events but the 'track day' promoters will be there also. Once you have their names you can go to their sites.
- Sign up for an account on MotorsportReg.com. This is a nation wide site that many track day organizers use to handle the sign up and payment for events. You can search in your area to see whats listed.
- Go to the NASA website (National Auto Sport Association) and find your region and it will list their events.
- Once you attend an event or two you will quickly get 'plugged into' the scene and all the different ways to get on track.
- Keep in mind its the cold season and most 2015 schedules are not posted yet.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I very much disagree with the suggestions of learning to drive a car on a road coarse on scubs (or anything other than street tires, including R-comps). Street rubber is very forgiving and gives loads of feedback that is absent when on slicks to an inexperienced driver. A mistake on slicks can quickly put you in harms way - they let go very late and rather unexpectedly. Once you can drift the car at will and control it on street tires, then you can move up to something stickier. I would suggest only then to go to R-comps and once you master that rubber, get into slicks.

Running with a local Porsche club (PCA) or BMW club can be an option too. Many of those guys have qualified, experienced instructors, and often their other participants are less competitive than in some other, more hard core HPDE events (1010ths comes to mind). It is thus an easier and less stressful environment. However, I don't think that you can really go wrong with other mentioned organizations though... if you understand the trade-offs. Being a newb is hard, but with time and practice (and talent, if you are lucky), you can achieve great results.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA and Driving schools Q/A

Quick Reply: SCCA and Driving schools Q/A