Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My second HPDE event...still love it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Bill, Jerry, when you guys heel-toe, are you double clutching too?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, nice car, and it sounds awesome!

What club was this with? Not a criticism of you, but I cannot fathom somebody on their second hpde with no other experience being signed off for solo. In my mind it isn't safe, and you aren't getting nearly as much out of the school (it is a school after all) without right seat instruction... which would explain all those questions you've got.

Run with the BMW CCA or Porsche Car Club, or another well run, more conservative school with a similar format, you will get a lot more out of it.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by t.renz791
First off, nice car, and it sounds awesome!

What club was this with? Not a criticism of you, but I cannot fathom somebody on their second hpde with no other experience being signed off for solo. In my mind it isn't safe, and you aren't getting nearly as much out of the school (it is a school after all) without right seat instruction... which would explain all those questions you've got.

Run with the BMW CCA or Porsche Car Club, or another well run, more conservative school with a similar format, you will get a lot more out of it.
The High Speed Touring event that I've done twice now is run by Hallett the track itself and not with any club. I feel like it is designed as more of a lapping day with instructors available rather than a full on school. What I am getting from everyone is that I should get more seat time with an instructor so I will definitely keep that in mind.

Here's an excerpt from their website:

"High Speed Touring at Hallett is your chance to drive your car on a real road race course at an affordable cost.

So you've got a really neat performance car - vintage, modern, exotic or one of the many sporty performance tuner coupes and sedans that are in vogue. And maybe you frequently experience frustrations because you can never really open-up your car to the spirited driving for which you think you and your car are capable. Fear of traffic citations, your reputation, your wife/parents, etc. keep your urge to drive at speed in check. Are you really wanting to be an on-track driver and not just a spectator, but maybe not quite ready for wheel-to-wheel racing? Then the High Speed Touring Series is for YOU! It's great fun for all motor heads AND you can afford it...read on . . .

HST lets YOU, at modest cost, get lots of seat- time lapping, AT SPEED, in performance-oriented STREET CARS!"
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on that description, that makes a lot of sense.
Sounds like they are catering to people that realized they bought a fast car that can never come close to realizing it's potential on the street without risking safety and drivers lic.

Trust me, it sounds like the bug has bit you. Check out the closest chapters of the two clubs I mentioned, register and enjoy. The generic recommendation they go by is that drivers run novice for 8-10 events before 'moving up' to learn the basics and get to the point that the basics are second nature- the flags, track awareness, courtesy, the school line, passing, ect while having an instructor coach you before during and after each session.
If you learn quick and demonstrate mastery quickly, you may be moved into the intermediate group sooner, or it may take longer if you take longer- everyone learns at a different pace.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi Mugen,

I am one of the instructors on most HST days at Hallett. I see a couple of things we can work on next year. Who was your instructor on the 25th? Send me a message before your next event and I would be happy to help you in your quest for speed.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by t.renz791
Check out the closest chapters of the two clubs I mentioned, register and enjoy.
HST runs 2 days a month at Hallett. The clubs that you mentioned only run a couple of times a year. There are several levels in HST along with actual race classes that practice, qualify and race during sessions on the same weekends as HST. So it's an all inclusive track day and a great way to see were you would like to progress towards.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The instructor I had was named Mike. I don't recall his last name. Taller guy with shaved head. Super nice and helpful guy. He owns a BRZ or an FR-S.

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Hi Mugen,

I am one of the instructors on most HST days at Hallett. I see a couple of things we can work on next year. Who was your instructor on the 25th? Send me a message before your next event and I would be happy to help you in your quest for speed.

Quick Reply: My second HPDE event...still love it!