Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn all traction control off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn all traction control off?

I have a 2008 A6 base corvette that I put rear C5 rims with 285/35/18 on all four corners. I have read before that the traction control system will not work since I change the tire sizes. Does that mean that competitive driving mode will not work either? Do I need to hold the button down for 10 seconds until it turns everything off?

Thanks guys

Adam
Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by akcraig85
I have a 2008 A6 base corvette that I put rear C5 rims with 285/35/18 on all four corners. I have read before that the traction control system will not work since I change the tire sizes. Does that mean that competitive driving mode will not work either? Do I need to hold the button down for 10 seconds until it turns everything off?

Thanks guys

Adam
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by akcraig85

Thanks guys

Adam
Many successfully run a square setup with C5Z 18" rims and 305mm rubber without issues on C5s, C6s and even C7s. Based those reports, I doubt that you will have any issues.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by tytek
Many successfully run a square setup with C5Z 18" rims and 305mm rubber without issues on C5s, C6s and even C7s. Based those reports, I doubt that you will have any issues.
This is great to hear. I've been looking at an 18" square setup and had gotten stuck trying to find some tires that had the stock height difference front to rear.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Some cars will have TC issues with a square setup some won't. I ran a square setup on my 97 and C5Z and never had an issue with TC on either car even they used different EBCM designs. I did know some people who did have issues with their C5Zs where TC would activate when the speed approached 100 mph. I think the difference comes in the tolerances found in each EBCM. However, a square setup will not cause AH to activate. If you have an issue with TC all you have to do is turn off TC with the button.

Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Some cars will have TC issues with a square setup some won't. I ran a square setup on my 97 and C5Z and never had an issue with TC on either car even they used different EBCM designs. I did know some people who did have issues with their C5Zs where TC would activate when the speed approached 100 mph. I think the difference comes in the tolerances found in each EBCM. However, a square setup will not cause AH to activate. If you have an issue with TC all you have to do is turn off TC with the button.

Bill
That is a valid point Bill. I had found that my '01 Z06 can go into ice mode when running a square setup a lot more easily than when I keep the front/rear wheel circumference at the stock ratio. I have never had such issues with my '02 Z06, so variation between EBCMs seems like a credible theory.

I find it best to run AH off completely on the track. Used to have brakes go quickly into ABS when braking after AH was active on a tight section of turns.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

If new wheels have Tire pressure sensors on them you should b ok

I just pulled the fuse on my C6 Z06 TC, I'm faster without it & TC really goes crazy on NASCAR banking
Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to turn TC off. Going around 50 mph on the highway to the track the system would kick on and freak out.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn all traction control off?

Quick Reply: Turn all traction control off?