Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Cameron Lawrence TA2 Challenger @ Daytona or "How to drive the Rolex Course"

Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Video: Cameron Lawrence TA2 Challenger @ Daytona or "How to drive the Rolex Course"

This kid can get it done!

Trans Am 2 Championship winning drive 2014

Pole time 1:51.3 with about 440 HP to the wheels

check out the restart at about 6:00

Last edited by bosco022; 11-23-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Beach Cruiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! what I learned, I need more gear, I need to down shift more in the infield, and I'm taking turn one way to wide. At the restart, that blue #29 Mustang was at Daytona testing during the NASA event. Mike Skeen drove it to a 1.47 lap!

Here's my Mostly Corvette Camaro

Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Skeen did a great job in The Romocki Mustang, however it is in a different class (TA) with 800 plus HP, 14 inch wide rubber, lighter, more downforce etc.

We use Jerico and T101A gear boxes in our cars and they are geared something like 1.9 1.5 1.2 1.0.

We use first gear in turn 1, 3, 5, and 6 onto the banking. I picked up about 1.5 seconds versus using 2nd in the slow corners.

Last edited by bosco022; 11-23-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Beach Cruiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
Skeen did a great job in The Romocki Mustang, however it is in a different class (TA) with 800 plus HP, 14 inch wide rubber, lighter, more downforce etc.

We use Jerico and T101A gear boxes in our cars and they are geared something like 1.9 1.5 1.2 1.0.

We use first gear in turn 1, 3, 5, and 6 onto the banking. I picked up about 1.5 seconds versus using 2nd in the slow corners.
wow, It was my first time ever there so I didn't know much about how to drive it or prepare. I have a Rankin with almost the same gearing. I was only using 3rd and 4th, and from my video, I was getting pulled bad in 1,3,5 and 6. I'm also running a 2.59 in my aero brick 47 year old sled! but man was it fun! I ran a 2:12 with it, maybe next year it'll go faster
Old 11-23-2014, 03:50 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Love your Camaro, Woody at Bemco Fab is building me a 69 tube frame 'vert Vette. Will have a look similar to the Owens Corning Cars.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Your car sounds awesome

I got there late & we were having issues w the transmission & headers so I got NO practice time in my new DP

First time I drove it was in the race, not ideal in a 600hp Prototype

Started at 1:59 dead last but my 2nd drive I dropped down to 1:53 & passed 6 cars

Hope to get some video at Homestead FARA race Dec 30
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks pretty consistent for the most part but I just don't agree with how he takes the turn after the kink. Only thing I can think is he has someone on his tail we can't see and doesn't want them dive bombing the inside. He early apexes and swings way wide. Mid apex seems like he would exit so much faster and especially considering how much speed you can carry going back onto the nascar turns and still be ok.

Sometimes I wish I could see two drivers and compare to see how much is car and how much driver. Seems like this is a whole lot of driver don't get me wrong.... Has to be someone behind him.... Bet it is a miata.... They love to dive bomb....
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Looks pretty consistent for the most part but I just don't agree with how he takes the turn after the kink. Only thing I can think is he has someone on his tail we can't see and doesn't want them dive bombing the inside. He early apexes and swings way wide. Mid apex seems like he would exit so much faster and especially considering how much speed you can carry going back onto the nascar turns and still be ok.

Sometimes I wish I could see two drivers and compare to see how much is car and how much driver. Seems like this is a whole lot of driver don't get me wrong.... Has to be someone behind him.... Bet it is a miata.... They love to dive bomb....
Not too many Miata's in a Trans Am race. Cameron broke his own qualifying record by almost 2 seconds while besting Trans Am Legends Tommy Kendall, Wally Dallenbach jr and a very talented Adam Andretti among other fine drivers.

He's doing it right.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:21 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Yea the miata thing was wayyy sarcastic. I'm really wondering how he is so much faster.... He basically lapped the entire field and most guys out there aren't slouches. Just doesn't add up. I don't want to demean anything but I would definitely call shenanigans. Almost like how vettel suspected of the traction control thing.

He is fast. Don't get me wrong, just almost too fast. Easy for me to be an internet troll too, I know what I sound like. At least I have driven the track so not as bad as most trolls.

Last edited by rithsleeper; 11-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Yea the miata thing was wayyy sarcastic. I'm really wondering how he is so much faster.... He basically lapped the entire field and most guys out there aren't slouches. Just doesn't add up. I don't want to demean anything but I would definitely call shenanigans. Almost like how vettel suspected of the traction control thing.

He is fast. Don't get me wrong, just almost too fast. Easy for me to be an internet troll too, I know what I sound like. At least I have driven the track so not as bad as most trolls.
Tommy Kendall was in the other team Dodge Challenger. These are factory backed cars and Miller Racing has plenty of resources. Team owner Mike Miller is the brother of Jim Miller, one-half of an engineering firm you might have heard of: PRATT & MILLER.

Halfway through the season the team switched from Camaro's to Challengers.

Next year will be really fun to watch in TA2 as Lawrence, Kendall, Andretti & Dallenbach will be back as well as young guns Dillon Machavern (son of former Grand Am champ Dave), Bobby Kennedy, Nick Hazelwood and more.

The TA2 class of Trans Am is the best bang for the buck class in Pro road racing and a great place for young talented racers to show their stuff.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great driving! Question, car #90 at 10:47 in the video, does he need a meatball flag or is there a wing over his windshield?? WTH am I seeing?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Great driving! Question, car #90 at 10:47 in the video, does he need a meatball flag or is there a wing over his windshield?? WTH am I seeing?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Tommy Kendall was in the other team Dodge Challenger. These are factory backed cars and Miller Racing has plenty of resources. Team owner Mike Miller is the brother of Jim Miller, one-half of an engineering firm you might have heard of: PRATT & MILLER.

Halfway through the season the team switched from Camaro's to Challengers.

Next year will be really fun to watch in TA2 as Lawrence, Kendall, Andretti & Dallenbach will be back as well as young guns Dillon Machavern (son of former Grand Am champ Dave), Bobby Kennedy, Nick Hazelwood and more.

The TA2 class of Trans Am is the best bang for the buck class in Pro road racing and a great place for young talented racers to show their stuff.
Are the Dodges paddle shift cars? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that Kendall could not drive a conventional setup anymore? I knew he was in the Viper but it had paddles.

Kid looks great. Car works great and looks like a bunch of fun. That's the goal for me at some point.

Last edited by Racingswh; 11-25-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn that looks like fun!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Are the Dodges paddle shift cars? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that Kendall could not drive a conventional setup anymore? I knew he was in the Viper but it had paddles.

Kid looks great. Car works great and looks like a bunch of fun. That's the goal for me at some point.
No paddle shift on these, that is the great thing about them. They are very basic, but fast machines similar to the early tube frame trans am cars of the early 80's. 500 HP motors with Jerico or G Force Nascar 4 speeds that have been around for more than 30 years. Overbuilt for the power they are very reliable and easy to work on. They use 15x10 Hoosier bias tires that are quick and inexpensive. The cars are easy to toss around and forgiving to drive. VERY similar to the ASA/GTA cars.

The other great thing about these is that they are legal for SCCA GT2 and very competitive with much more expensive GT2 cars such as Porsche GT3 cup cars, Tube frame Toyota's and Nissan's and that "BAD" Sunbeam Tiger of Tom Patton.

Last edited by bosco022; 11-26-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

No paddle shift on these, that is the great thing about them. They are very basic, but fast machines similar to the early tube frame trans am cars of the early 80's. 500 HP motors with Jerico or G Force Nascar 4 speeds that have been around for more than 30 years. Overbuilt for the power they are very reliable and easy to work on. They use 15x10 Hoosier bias tires that are quick and inexpensive. The cars are easy to toss around and forgiving to drive. VERY similar to the ASA/GTA cars.

The other great thing about these is that they are legal for SCCA GT2 and very competitive with much more expensive GT2 cars such as Porsche GT3 cup cars, Tube frame Toyota's and Nissan's and that "BAD" Sunbeam Tiger of Tom Patton.
The next question would be when I am ready where do I go and get one that's going to be reasonably competitive?

Are the Vipers restricted? I didn't really see if they were Comp Coups or not which don't make as much power as the ACR-X. I was just surprised to see him pull past that last one in the video on what looked to be a power move. Usually cars pulling me are Z06's with 3.42's and over 500 rwhp. The ACR I drive makes about 530 rwhp but still has the 3.07's.

Thanks for posting up the video. Fun to watch!!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racingswh
The next question would be when I am ready where do I go and get one that's going to be reasonably competitive?

Are the Vipers restricted? I didn't really see if they were Comp Coups or not which don't make as much power as the ACR-X. I was just surprised to see him pull past that last one in the video on what looked to be a power move. Usually cars pulling me are Z06's with 3.42's and over 500 rwhp. The ACR I drive makes about 530 rwhp but still has the 3.07's.

Thanks for posting up the video. Fun to watch!!
You can get a new TA2 racer from Howe Racing and others. I am partial toward Woody at Bemco as he built my racers and they were an excellent value. He built the Mustang for my partners son, Bobby Kennedy. It uses a Howe chassis and body. It finished second at Daytona behind the factory backed Dodge featured above in its' first pro race. It performed flawlessly and ran the fourth fastest race lap, behind Tommy Kendall, Cam Lawrence, and Adam Andretti. This was likely the smallest budget team in the TA2 class. The build price on that car was more than competitive.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Cameron Lawrence TA2 Challenger @ Daytona or "How to drive the Rolex Course"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video: Cameron Lawrence TA2 Challenger @ Daytona or "How to drive the Rolex Course"