Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Co-drive in SSR car for 2015 SCCA ProSolos

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Sprockett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Co-drive in SSR car for 2015 SCCA ProSolos

Looking for a co-drive opportunity in an SSR car for the 2015 season. Always wanted to get into this class but now worried about its future status so want to help make numbers now. I'm in Western Canada but can't get my own car to the two early season California events. Want to qualify for the Pro Finale and just get in as many events as possible. Looking for an arrive and drive arrangement at any or many ProSolos specifically. Would of course consider Tour events as well. In fact, would consider just a whole season type of arrangement including the Pro Finale and Nationals as well as any pros and tours. Can contribute cash.

Autocrossing since '97 in everything from EStock MR2 to BStock CR to ASP Lotus to SSM Corvette with some minor success. Feel I've been a respectful and helpful co-driver in the past though admittedly not strong at car setup. Definitely not afraid of wrenching if needed.

If interested in reducing costs and helping make numbers in SSR, please email me at my screen name here plus '@gmail.com'

Thanks, Ryan
Old 11-26-2014, 02:05 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I wish you the best of luck. But it seems SSR is nothing on the west coast these days. Sad I wish it was, and the more the merrier!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Sprockett
Intermediate

Yes, really disappointed that SSR disappeared around here with the introduction of street. Its actually a tough decision to get involved with zero local or nearby competition but the draw for me is too great while the threat of the class disappearing seems real.

Really hoping for an offer of at least one ProSolo ride out East...without it, motivation to buy and prep a car without a good chance of participating at the Finale is hard to muster.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:15 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

If we keep 35 total at Nationals we stay safe. It's up to us. I have a full time co-driver (and one in Ladies too) or I'd offer. Most cars here have two drivers already....
Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just curious about the role of the co-driver besides driving the car? What is the understood duties and financial responsibility?

I have always wondered about the co driver idea. Lets say an owner has a car and allows a co-driver to drive his car. The owner/driver has $10K invested in the engine and the co-driver grenades the motor, what is the responsibility of the co-driver?

There is no money that I am aware of in this sport (autoxing) so its not like you get supplemented for winning.

Please give me some insight.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:03 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Just curious about the role of the co-driver besides driving the car? What is the understood duties and financial responsibility?

I have always wondered about the co driver idea. Lets say an owner has a car and allows a co-driver to drive his car. The owner/driver has $10K invested in the engine and the co-driver grenades the motor, what is the responsibility of the co-driver?

There is no money that I am aware of in this sport (autoxing) so its not like you get supplemented for winning.

I'd guess that the co-driver gets a free ride for the most part and no/little responsibility. Easy fix ... Co-driver = co-owner.

OP wants an arrive and drive ... what a great deal indeed. Heck to do that in a lowly SRF will cost $1,500 for a single race ++ damages.

Impossible to say who trashed the motor ... My position is that you started it on the last session when you did xyz and I was only driving (carefully) when it finally let go ... big gray area.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Sprockett
Intermediate

In my experience...the typical (and perhaps logical?) arrangement is that if something is broken as a result of the co-driver actions, the co-driver pays. Hit a curb, miss a shift, etc. you pay for damages. If the car fails, the car owner takes responsibility. I know some will say this is a pretty hard arrangement to enforce and that may be true. While delivering a functioning car as advertised is the responsibility of the car owner in the arrangement, I have spent multiple hours the day before Nationals competition helping to re-assemble a car I was going to share (arrive and drive) after it blew a trans at the Pro Finale. Whether this is an implied responsibility is debatable...I think as many people would help as wouldn't in that situation.

In the end there is certainly trust and character judgment involved as well as simply the financial ability to accept the risks. While sharing is rampant in this sport, conflicts as a result seem very rare...at least from what I've been exposed to.

Also, there is contingency winnings at the larger events I'm referring to here. Typically, co-driver winnings of things like tires would stay with the car but cash would stay with the driver. But this can/has been negotiated. I've actually never been asked to sign any formal agreement to share a vehicle (I would sign) but I have heard of such arrangements.

The payment asked by the car owner would have to factor in these risks, likelihood of contingency winnings, wear and tear, consumables like gas, and even the event itself (typically more for Nationals). In addition, there's typically a premium for a proven competitive car. To give you an idea, I have paid everything from a couple hundred bucks to much more than quadruple that for a single weekend co-drive. I would expect to pay even more for a ride in say...an Street Mod GTR at Nationals...that's an expensive car to operate/maintain. I have also been offered drives from total strangers after having car breakage and even in other classes for no cost at all (I love this sport). I've also made to offers to total strangers.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Sprockett; 11-27-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Sprockett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If we keep 35 total at Nationals we stay safe. It's up to us. I have a full time co-driver (and one in Ladies too) or I'd offer. Most cars here have two drivers already....
I appreciate the thought Sam.

If I can find a ride out east for a ProSolo or two in order to make early reg requirements for the finale, I am planning to buy and prep a car this spring. If that all goes according to plan, I'll be bringing a co-driver and a lady to Nationals as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:27 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by l98tpi

As the other guys mentioned, there is contingency at the bigger events. I've had co-drive arrangements where contingency goes to the driver, others where it goes to the car. I've never done the split cash/product. Usually if contingency goes to the car, I drop the fee some. That said, I always have a fee to help with the expendables (brakes, fuel, etc) and to account for some of the risk involved. I've always done arrive and drives for people and have had really good luck. Most people are very reasonable when it comes to this stuff. All my codrivers have offered to help with things on the car, but for the most part, they haven't had to.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Sprockett
Intermediate

Still looking here.

The recent email from Harmer means finding something in the next week makes it a lot easier to register for those popular Ohio events. I may just register for all three now anyways just so I have options.

If anyone is even considering this but hasn't spoken up given the time of year, please do anways! Any indication that someone is at least considering, or even able to consider, would help me out.

In fact, even someone with an AStreet (SSR legal) vette willing to take on a co-drive for a single event would be considered and appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Co-drive in SSR car for 2015 SCCA ProSolos

Quick Reply: Looking for Co-drive in SSR car for 2015 SCCA ProSolos