Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Brakes Question

Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrading Brakes Question

So I have been doing a lot of reading and I think I am on the right track... I was going to get a set of C6Z calipers with SS pistons for a good price but the cost and thickness of the pads (single pads) are turning me off. I have a C6 Z51 and I love the look of the C6Z calipers (and yes i know what mods I would need to make them work). I also love that the larger rotors are cheaper than my Z51 rotors on RockAuto. After a long day of reading, I think I am starting to lean towards wilwoods (I just do HPDE with NT-01s, I push it but I am def no racer) partly because of the cheaper and thicker pad options. So... three questions:

1) Has anyone experienced longer pad life with the 20mm wilwood sized pads? Especially over the C6Z? I am a fan of carbotechs. I dont know what the total pad volume is comparatively or if that even makes much of a difference. I feel like they look like they have smaller surface area than the Z06 pads.

2) I would consider just upgrading the front with wilwoods or LG or something and upgrade the rears later... thoughts?

3) I feel like I've seen some setups from TCE about using OEM Z06 size rotors. I dont think I need 14" on all four corners... I am not going for 2 piece rotors. I also read a reference to "LG brackets" to achieve this.

I am looking for the most price conscious options even if its fronts now and rears next year.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaWING66
So I have been doing a lot of reading and I think I am on the right track... I was going to get a set of C6Z calipers with SS pistons for a good price but the cost and thickness of the pads (single pads) are turning me off. I have a C6 Z51 and I love the look of the C6Z calipers (and yes i know what mods I would need to make them work). I also love that the larger rotors are cheaper than my Z51 rotors on RockAuto. After a long day of reading, I think I am starting to lean towards wilwoods (I just do HPDE with NT-01s, I push it but I am def no racer) partly because of the cheaper and thicker pad options. So... three questions:

1) Has anyone experienced longer pad life with the 20mm wilwood sized pads? Especially over the C6Z? I am a fan of carbotechs. I dont know what the total pad volume is comparatively or if that even makes much of a difference. I feel like they look like they have smaller surface area than the Z06 pads.

2) I would consider just upgrading the front with wilwoods or LG or something and upgrade the rears later... thoughts?

3) I feel like I've seen some setups from TCE about using OEM Z06 size rotors. I dont think I need 14" on all four corners... I am not going for 2 piece rotors. I also read a reference to "LG brackets" to achieve this.

I am looking for the most price conscious options even if its fronts now and rears next year.
lg's gstop would be a good option for you I believe you coud shim the calipers on their bracket to use Z51 size rotors ( i didn't try it)
they normally use the stock (base) C6 size you will need a spacer to get the stock wheels on. (C5 Zo6 wheels work)
using the Z06 brakes requires different wheels also. pads seem to last about the same as stock (moreexpensive)

the 20 size willwoods are cheaper and last much longer than stock
Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 PM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input, I know wilwood had a kit now made for my Z51 rotors... would just need a spacer to push out my wheel. I am hoping to move up to the 14" rotors which should also fit under the 18" rims... at least the Z06 calipers do.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Wilwood has four front options for you. The SL6 with the 7416 pad, the SL6 with the 20mm, the new replacement for the W6A with a 6617 16 mm thick pad or wide version that can take the new 20mm version of the 6617 pad shape. I think you know about the SL6 versions so will talk abut the W6A versions. Their full front kit comes with calipers and two piece 14.25 in rotors. They also have a kit that only has the calipers/brackets that fit over the stock C6Z front rotors. They also make a two piece 72 vane rotor that will replace the stock C6Z rotor so that provides the capability to add two piece rotors at a later time. I have this setup on my car and I finally replaced the stock rear calipers and rotors with the Wilwood rear kit with parking brake which has 14 inch rotors.

This setup works very well and even though the pads are the 6617 16mm thick pads I get better wear with them than I did with the C6Z pads. Wilwood also has some variations of this setup that will allow you to use 20 mm thick versions of the 6617 pad but I can't remember all of the details.

When I had the LG G Stop kit on my C5Z I would get ~ 10 track days out of a set of H pads using shims and heat insulators as the pads got thinner. The pads tended to taper and I would flip them over after each track event to even out the wear.

The W6As don't taper as much but the inside pad tends to wear more so to even out the wear I flip them from inside to outside each track day.

Bill
Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Some food for thought. Besure to check the cost of replacement pads and rotors on what ever setup you are looking at. These can be much more costly in the long run. I ran Brembo's on my first C6Z and the expendables were very costly. On the second Z I switched to Stoptech's, the expendables costs were almost half and the performance was about the same. Also consider the availability of pads and rotors from muliple retailers, this helps to reduce the costs. Just my .02 JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 12-01-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Yeah that is why I ended up not going to the C6Z was because of the cost and thickness of the pads. As far as rotors, I just get the cheap blanks from rock auto. At this stage, I haven't gotten any information that would make me want to spend $750 more for rotors each set.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I run the sl6 with the 20 mm pad. I change pads about 1/3 as much for half the cost. Call tce todd. He knows all things wilwood and is a straight up honest guy.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks. Yeah that is why I ended up not going to the C6Z was because of the cost and thickness of the pads. As far as rotors, I just get the cheap blanks from rock auto. At this stage, I haven't gotten any information that would make me want to spend $750 more for rotors each set.
The cheapest rotors are not always the least expensive to run!! For instance, I have found that Stoptech rotors last much longer than cheaper rotors. Many of the cheap rotors don't last very long. JD
Old 12-01-2014, 01:05 PM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Just called Todd, some great info!

And JD, how many sessions or days do you get out of your stoptechs?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:16 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just called Todd, some great info! And JD, how many sessions or days do you get out of your stoptechs?
Todd is full of knowledge.. He's been helpful for a lot of folks here on forum.

Also check out Jeff Ritter with essex and his apracing stuff. Another man full of knowledge..

I've spent time on phone with both of them and learned so much from them.

Best of luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading Brakes Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Brakes Question