Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Winch Recommendations?

I am going to install a winch in my enclosed. Remote control is key. I will mount it offset along the sidewall. I need a recommendation on the pulley (see the image in a previous thread on the forum from back in June at the bottom) and the winch itself: brands, ratings, features, cable length (30' enclosed in my case). My car has a front and rear tow hook welded to the bumper bar so I'm find from that perspective.

Previous thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-trailer.html
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the superwinch 4500 trailer winch. it comes with a longer remote so you can sit in the car and use it. I added the wireless remote and got the synthetic rope version so there wont be any scratches from the metal wire rope rubbing on the car
Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply, anyplace in particular I should buy it from? Did you buy the synthetic line separate? Does it seem to be durable (the line)?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

superwinch as above. I have two of them. They work great, are affordable, and the customer service is excellent.
Synthetic rope is attractive because it is light and if it frays will not hurt you. However, with the dragging on the floor to pull the car up I would be worried about wearing it out early compared to a cable.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 30' trailer with the winch side mounted. It had a Superwinch 5000 in it, and it is OK, also there wireless remote is expensive. But if I was buying a new one for it, I would buy a Badlands 5000 from Harbor Freight and the wireless remote for it. They are on sale all the time. I have used there 3500 for years on other trailers and never had any problems. JD
Note: if you want a picture of my setup, drop me an e-mail. jf1dillon@gmail.com

Last edited by JDIllon; 12-02-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a Superwinch 4500 waiting to go into my trailer and I have a concern with the cable rubbing on the wood deck of the trailer at the seam of the dovetail. The cable is wire so I would expect that it wouldn't take too many pulls before there is a good-sized gouge on the floor at that point.

Would it be reasonable to install some sort of idler pulley that has a v-notch in it to keep the floor from being cut? My idea for now is to install the winch at the nose of the trailer and on the centerline.

I also have a ****** block that I will use to reduce the pull weight but maybe installing the winch on a side wall and using the ****** block for creating an 90 degree angle but that won't change the cutting of the floor. I don't want to use anything like a metal plate as that would most likely cause problems with the cable itself.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you could use a piece of Poly skid plate material in the wear area. I have seen one guy use cheap poly cutting boards screwed down in the area and just tossed them when they wore.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bsalie99
you could use a piece of Poly skid plate material in the wear area. I have seen one guy use cheap poly cutting boards screwed down in the area and just tossed them when they wore.
I thought about doing that, but can the cutting boards be heated and bent to conform to the dovetail angle? The steel cable would probably last given that the majority of the wear would be on the cutting board.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I have a Superwinch 4500 waiting to go into my trailer and I have a concern with the cable rubbing on the wood deck of the trailer at the seam of the dovetail. The cable is wire so I would expect that it wouldn't take too many pulls before there is a good-sized gouge on the floor at that point.

Would it be reasonable to install some sort of idler pulley that has a v-notch in it to keep the floor from being cut? My idea for now is to install the winch at the nose of the trailer and on the centerline.

I also have a ****** block that I will use to reduce the pull weight but maybe installing the winch on a side wall and using the ****** block for creating an 90 degree angle but that won't change the cutting of the floor. I don't want to use anything like a metal plate as that would most likely cause problems with the cable itself.
I don't feel there is a need for a ****** block the pull the car in with a 4500# winch, unless there is damage to the car? I would try it first without it. Also I had a winch set up like you are talking about and never had a problem with it rubbing a groove in the wooden floor, not saying it won't, but try it first to see how it works. JD
Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Ok, Superwinch 4500 and a pulley block (so I can mount the winch along the wall and pull at a 90 degree angle) are on the way from Amazon. Will be attempting to mount it up this weekend. Wireless remote on a slow boat from China so that will get installed later.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I don't feel there is a need for a ****** block the pull the car in with a 4500# winch, unless there is damage to the car? I would try it first without it. Also I had a winch set up like you are talking about and never had a problem with it rubbing a groove in the wooden floor, not saying it won't, but try it first to see how it works. JD
Yea, really. The ****** block will also cut the speed in half.

I can pull your Corvette easily into a trailer with my 2000# Superwinch.

I work with a lot of different race trailers, no one I know is worried about grooving the floor.

JD, a friend has one of the Badlands in his 20 ft., it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Winch Recommendations?

Quick Reply: Winch Recommendations?